Weaning heifers

Got a calving or breeding question? Get an answer.
dun
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Weaning heifers

Postby dun » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:58 pm

Maybe I don;t notice it because through the years all of our cows now go back to just 3 cows.
1 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

lithuanian farmer
Rancher
Rancher

Postby lithuanian farmer » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:59 pm

We wean heifers at 6-8months age, they go back to the cows herd when they are big enough to be bred- around 18months age. Never had any problems. There are some cows which have good relationships and often keeps contact with their daughters, like grazing, lying together. But just a couple cows and usually just with one daughter.
0 x

gcreekrch
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby gcreekrch » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:20 am

TCRanch wrote:
Stocker Steve wrote:
dun wrote:I've never noticed the family groupings. I had sort of expected to because dairy goats are very much that way. And that's with the youngsters only sucked their mother maybe once in their life at birth.

It is a minority of cows, but some do it. Had a cow die on me over night and in the morning the yearling heifer was mothering up her brother next to the cows carcass...

We have a lot of family groupings that hang together but quite possibly because I retain a lot of heifers specifically because of their lineage. One year I had 3 mother/daughter pairs calve on the same day not 150 yards apart. That said, I don't put my retained heifers back with their mamas until they're already in their 2nd trimester (earliest) but generally their 3rd. Never had one try to suck. That I know of. Knock wood!

Very common for mom and daughter(s) to calve within a couple days of each other.
1 x
Vaccinations, cheaper than whiskey. ;-)

Return to “Breeding / Calving Issues”