Wearing on Mom

Got a calving or breeding question? Get an answer.
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Wearing on Mom

Postby Bright Raven » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:37 am

My fall calves were born in a 4 week window. They are coming up on 4 months old.

I am starting to see some of the Dams taking a beating during nursing. These calves probably average right at 400 pounds. By March, these girls would welcome some relief.
0 x

Supa Dexta
GURU
GURU

Re: Wearing on Mom

Postby Supa Dexta » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:10 pm

0 x

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:20 pm

Bright Raven wrote:My fall calves were born in a 4 week window. They are coming up on 4 months old.

I am starting to see some of the Dams taking a beating during nursing. These calves probably average right at 400 pounds. By March, these girls would welcome some relief.

I'm surprised you're not out there with a giant bottle fighting for position.
0 x
It's the ECONOMY stupid!

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:35 pm

Supa Dexta wrote:https://cdn.someecards.com/someecards/usercards/1343742828757_84365.png

I apologize. In answer to the meme, "no one". Consider it me talking to myself.

I was out there this morning and these calves are big and vigorous. It crossed my mind that I need to wean early.

In response to the penguin- I would be afraid they might maul me. These guys take bottle time serious.
1 x

Black and Good
GURU
GURU

Postby Black and Good » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:17 am

Raven, With the care you give your cattle, I would surely hope your calves could stay on them longer than 4 months. Only time I look at weaning that early is to pull some to start halter breaking for show or if they are from first heifers that are struggling to keep up. B&G
1 x
WARNING! These Cattle get in your blood. Hope you have credit or a thick checkbook! LOL

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:22 am

Black and Good wrote:Raven, With the care you give your cattle, I would surely hope your calves could stay on them longer than 4 months. Only time I look at weaning that early is to pull some to start halter breaking for show or if they are from first heifers that are struggling to keep up. B&G

I was thinking this year of pulling them off in March at about 6 months. I usually don't wean until late April or 1st May.

Do you start halter breaking after weaning? I cannot wait that long. They get to big for me to rodeo.
Last edited by Bright Raven on Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
0 x

angus9259
GURU
GURU

Postby angus9259 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:27 am

Bright Raven wrote:
Black and Good wrote:Raven, With the care you give your cattle, I would surely hope your calves could stay on them longer than 4 months. Only time I look at weaning that early is to pull some to start halter breaking for show or if they are from first heifers that are struggling to keep up. B&G

I was thinking this year of pulling them off in March at about 6 months. I usually don't wean until late April or 1st May

6 month old calves.... March in Kentucky..... sounds like a prescription for success to me. Throw some oats at them to get the bunk trained and some soft hay and the grass will be in before you know it. I'm thinking about weaning early but it will be 15 degrees out if I do.
2 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:35 am

I wean my Falls in March also. I like to get a halter on them around 4 months of age, if possible.
Our spring group, we pull our 4 oldest heifer calves into the barn during the day & out with dam all night for about 2 weeks and we get them "green broke". Every two weeks we bring in next 4. That way, as a cow, if we need to "work" on them, they know what a halter is & it makes life a lot easier. Like clipping them if they are going in a sale. Or, they turn out to be our top end & end up in the show ring.
1 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

Black and Good
GURU
GURU

Postby Black and Good » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:48 am

Bright Raven wrote:

I was thinking this year of pulling them off in March at about 6 months. I usually don't wean until late April or 1st May.

Do you start halter breaking after weaning? I cannot wait that long. They get to big for me to rodeo.

I like them to be 6 months old also if possible. Last year me and some friends halter broke four after weaning them at 6 months. But if they are that age you have to have some help with the rodeo. B&G
0 x
WARNING! These Cattle get in your blood. Hope you have credit or a thick checkbook! LOL

Dogs and Cows
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Dogs and Cows » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:07 pm

Supa Dexta wrote:https://cdn.someecards.com/someecards/usercards/1343742828757_84365.png

OK...I know I shouldn't, but that picture made me laugh! Good grief!

Tim
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:20 pm

I don't have much problem with halterbreaking them even when they're older/bigger.. that's what posts are for.. Mine are all docile anyhow, so it's just a matter of getting them used to the halter.. they wear it for a week, then they get tied up a little, then they get led to some place they like.. a few times and they figure it out.
1 x
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

Return to “Breeding / Calving Issues”