Everyone's rule of thumb

Got a calving or breeding question? Get an answer.
Black and Good
GURU
GURU

Everyone's rule of thumb

Postby Black and Good » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:40 am

I was wanting some input from fellow members. What is everyone opinions on past due females in relation to their size and breed A.I.ed vs. bull bred etc. Example: I have a large 75% Gelbvieh 25% Black Angus first calf heifer she probably weighs 1200 lbs. she was A.I.ed on 3/26/17 and still has not calved as of this morning. To me size, breed etc. can play a part in how many days are logical to still say she was safe to so and so a date. Thanks. B&G
0 x
WARNING! These Cattle get in your blood. Hope you have credit or a thick checkbook! LOL

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Everyone's rule of thumb

Postby dun » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:49 am

I've never seen a correlation. Usually our Hereford sired calves are a little late regardless of weight. But a late Hereford calf when she calves usually falls right in among hte Red Angus, Simenthal, Gelbvieh crosses and Red Angus straight breds
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:52 am

Black and Good wrote:I was wanting some input from fellow members. What is everyone opinions on past due females in relation to their size and breed A.I.ed vs. bull bred etc. Example: I have a large 75% Gelbvieh 25% Black Angus first calf heifer she probably weighs 1200 lbs. she was A.I.ed on 3/26/17 and still has not calved as of this morning. To me size, breed etc. can play a part in how many days are logical to still say she was safe to so and so a date. Thanks. B&G

Size has nothing to do with it.

If she goes longer than 12 months she is on the cull list over 14 culled. The cow provides me a live calf to sale every year or takes the calves place on the trailer.
0 x

Black and Good
GURU
GURU

Postby Black and Good » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:07 am

It just always seemed to me like the larger heifers/breeds seem to hold them longer. B&G
0 x
WARNING! These Cattle get in your blood. Hope you have credit or a thick checkbook! LOL

WinterSpringsFarm
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby WinterSpringsFarm » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:48 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:
Black and Good wrote:I was wanting some input from fellow members. What is everyone opinions on past due females in relation to their size and breed A.I.ed vs. bull bred etc. Example: I have a large 75% Gelbvieh 25% Black Angus first calf heifer she probably weighs 1200 lbs. she was A.I.ed on 3/26/17 and still has not calved as of this morning. To me size, breed etc. can play a part in how many days are logical to still say she was safe to so and so a date. Thanks. B&G

If she goes longer than 12 months she is on the cull list over 14 culled. The cow provides me a live calf to sale every year or takes the calves place on the trailer.

I think you misunderstood the question.

OP-so she was due Jan 2 right? I assume she has been confirmed safe in calf to that date? 10 days over is getting up there pretty good.
0 x

Silver
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Silver » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:32 pm

1 x

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:34 pm

Silver wrote:A pretty good article on gestation: https://www.canadiancattlemen.ca/2011/01/24/whens-she-gonna-calve/

Yep! Good article... I read somewhere its normal for some heifers to go over due dates...
0 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

Black and Good
GURU
GURU

Postby Black and Good » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:40 pm

WinterSpringsFarm wrote:
Caustic Burno wrote:

I think you misunderstood the question.

OP-so she was due Jan 2 right? I assume she has been confirmed safe in calf to that date? 10 days over is getting up there pretty good.

Correct. B&G
0 x

Black and Good
GURU
GURU

Postby Black and Good » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:55 pm

Silver wrote:A pretty good article on gestation: https://www.canadiancattlemen.ca/2011/01/24/whens-she-gonna-calve/

Good article Silver. Thanks for sharing. B&G
0 x

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:01 pm

Is she showing any signs? She may have one whopper of a bull calf in her - hopefully in the correct position. There's always an exception (or 2, or 5) to every theory or "rule".
0 x

Black and Good
GURU
GURU

Postby Black and Good » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:30 pm

TCRanch wrote:Is she showing any signs? She may have one whopper of a bull calf in her - hopefully in the correct position. There's always an exception (or 2, or 5) to every theory or "rule".

Yeah, She's looks like she should be followed with a basket! LOL B&G
0 x

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:44 pm

My rule of thumb is... Never... wait No... Always? wait, yup that's it... Always carry a litter bag in your car...
They don't take up that much room and if it gets full you can just chuck it out the window.

But I don't really see how it applies.
:tiphat:
0 x

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:15 pm

Seems I read somewhere that Lithuanian Farmer has had several go 300 days.... I would not panic til she gets close to the 18 days past the due date; if she is showing an udder and signs of being close. Any chance she was turned out with a bull as cleanup and maybe slipped the AI breeding? In the dairy cattle, different breeds are known to carry different; and between jerseys, often shorter gestation, to Brown swiss , often 5-10 days longer gestation than the average on the charts.

You can always get the vet out to make sure the calf is in position. If she goes too far past they will induce labor if the size is getting way to big or do a c-section if it looks like she can't have it.

But I would probably be getting her checked out in the next few days if no signs of calving.
0 x

lithuanian farmer
GURU
GURU

Postby lithuanian farmer » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:58 pm

Yes, had two cows calving at 303 days, had one calving at 299days. One heifer has calved at 298days in December. We always keep a much closer eye on the one which is overdue. They always had bull calves and usually abit bigger than average.
0 x

blacksnake
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby blacksnake » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:48 pm

I had an alberda traveler 416 daughter that routine went 3 weeks over. Always stuck on first AI and was always bred timed AI with rest of the herd. Almost always had heifer calf, something like 11 out of 14.
0 x

Return to “Breeding / Calving Issues”