Twins

Got a calving or breeding question? Get an answer.
User avatar
Randi
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 238
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:38 am
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada
Contact:

Re: Twins

Postby Randi » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:02 pm

There's about a 90% chance that the heifer of a heifer/bull set of twins, will be a freemartin. Sorry, but that's the odds. 10% chance that she might breed.
0 x

User avatar
Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU
Posts: 8668
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:46 am
Location: Central Upstate New York
Contact:

Re: Twins

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:21 am

Yes, a heifer twin to a bull is generally a "freemartin", meaning a non-breeding female. Usually, you will be able to tell by weaning time. Sometimes, she will have a lot of hair growth in the vulva. The vulva may be larger, she may pee a little different. Not all the time, but most, she will be a little abnormal looking.
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

MRRherefords
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 622
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:26 pm
Location: Near the Mason Dixon line

Re: Twins

Postby MRRherefords » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:33 am

Almost diffidently a freemartin. We had one and being our first set of surviving twins that were male and female. We took a blood sample and sent it to Genesource in Wisconsin. For a fee they tested it. Sure enough she was. It is like a 93% chance it is. We will save our money in the future and through em in the feed lot.
0 x

User avatar
Silver
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 599
Joined: Tue May 19, 2009 12:08 am
Location: BC

Re: Twins

Postby Silver » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:46 pm

In a perfect world I would never want twins. I don't mind the odd one when it works out to adopt to a good cow that lost her calf.
It's very seldom in my experience that a cow will come back off the range in the fall with both calves in tow. Seems like one will invariably get separated and end up orphaned when turned out into thousands of acres of trees and hills. Lots of cows will raise them if they are on smaller pastures but I'm not a big fan of cows raising twins anyway. I feel it takes too much out of the cow and I'll pay the price for that down the line.
I'm happiest with one good calf.
In a good year we'll get about 8 sets, bad year 16 or so. Fingers crossed for less this year.
2 x

User avatar
Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU
Posts: 8668
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:46 am
Location: Central Upstate New York
Contact:

Re: Twins

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:45 pm

Out of my little herd, we have had 5 sets of twins - two today. 1 was sold, we didn't calve her out.

This morning a cow had a calf about 6am. I went out to the barn shortly after she had calved. She was licking a tiny calf. Yup, there was a hoof showing - turned up. Nephew Phil went in - coming backwards. Pulled a 100# dead bull calf. Didn't weigh the live calf yet. He had a slow start - gave shots but no eartag or weight. Get in the house & sterilized chains & handles. Got a call from a neighbor, had a calf they couldn't get out. Went over & pulled a dead calf after getting the head pulled up.
Noon put another cow in barn because she was isolating herself from herd. 5pm nothing. Went in her, tiny feet & head still over "the shelf" - not dilated. Left her alone. Went to play pool.
Got home 9pm - no calf. Went in - all tangled up. Had 2 front feet, but when he looked for head, found a spine going sideways. Twins tangled up. Pushed them both back in, finally figured out what went with what. Got both out ALIVE!!!! Bull & Heifer.
My "city boy" nephew is really getting great at calving assists. This is 21 calves on the ground, and today was the first cow we had to touch. Tired, heading to bed.
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

wbvs58
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3721
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:45 am
Location: S.E. Queensland, Australia

Re: Twins

Postby wbvs58 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:31 am

Sounds like he is finding calving a good challenge Jeanne, glad things mostly ended up OK. I bet it is a satisfied type of tired.

Ken
0 x

User avatar
Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU
Posts: 8668
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:46 am
Location: Central Upstate New York
Contact:

Re: Twins

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:02 am

Ken - yes real good. When I logged out, got in bed & turned cameras on. Twins were just about 1 hour old and were attacking their mom (3 yr old). Guess they are doing great.
First set yesterday morning, live calf was really thin, weak & little (compared to 100# dead one). I had mixed up colostrum, got him to suck bottle & then we helped him up & got him on the teats. While we were pulling the 2nd set - he was up & sucking on his own. So all is great.
1 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

User avatar
Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU
Posts: 8668
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:46 am
Location: Central Upstate New York
Contact:

Re: Twins

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:44 am

Just to report - the 1st twin to the 100# DOA weighed 80# - so that was 180# of calf in her!! No wonder she is thin!
Turned live set of twins & mom out and also the thin cow with the single (twin) calf out this morning.
Usually, only keep in for 24-36 hours (depending if born AM or PM), but like to keep any twins in for a while, and the single twin was pretty weak at birth but doing great.
I need the pens in the barn. Have 3 late ones & 9 due between now & 22nd. Put 7 in barn night before last & none calved - but one OUTSIDE did! :shock: errrr But, great blazed face heifer and doing great. :banana:
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

Lazy M
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1056
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:38 pm
Location: KY

Re: Twins

Postby Lazy M » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:27 am

Image
This is her 3rd set in a row. So far she's raised them all to weaning. I put her in the barn for the last 2 sets and supplemented her until grass came on, but the calves were too spry to catch last night so I'll see how she does on just hay. She calved in March last year so she has had 4 calves in the last 12 mos.
1 x

User avatar
Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU
Posts: 8668
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:46 am
Location: Central Upstate New York
Contact:

Re: Twins

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:33 am

Good job!
We had 1 cow had twins in first week of March at age of 8, then twins in Feb, then twins in Jan. and raised them. Some cows are baby machines!!!
1 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

User avatar
Dubcharo
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 157
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:53 pm
Location: Quebec, Canada

Re: Twins

Postby Dubcharo » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:07 pm

2 females born January 9 mother was in heat February 23!
Image

2 males born February 20

Image
2 x

User avatar
Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 12905
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:37 pm
Location: Lillooet, BC, Canada

Re: Twins

Postby Nesikep » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:00 am

I just had my first set of twins in a long time.. I was hoping to get a set to give to the cow that lost her calf and I've been hand milking.. no such luck, this cow has plenty of milk for two calves.. and for the first time she hasn't been stupid at calving time!
1 x
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

User avatar
Logan52
Beginner
Beginner
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:31 pm

Re: Twins

Postby Logan52 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:48 am

I just had a Red Poll X Charolais 1st calf heifer give birth to twin bull calves by an Angus bull. One was shiny black while the other was a silver gray. Her mother is 14 years old and had twins last year. She had another daughter that had twins.
I sold the silver bull calf since it would have been hard on the heifer to raise both.
1 x

wbvs58
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3721
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:45 am
Location: S.E. Queensland, Australia

Re: Twins

Postby wbvs58 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:48 am

Nesikep wrote:I just had my first set of twins in a long time.. I was hoping to get a set to give to the cow that lost her calf and I've been hand milking.. no such luck, this cow has plenty of milk for two calves.. and for the first time she hasn't been stupid at calving time!


Stepping up to the bigger responsibility Nesi????

Ken
1 x

User avatar
BFE
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 94
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:24 pm

Re: Twins

Postby BFE » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:03 am

Lazy M wrote:Image
This is her 3rd set in a row. So far she's raised them all to weaning. I put her in the barn for the last 2 sets and supplemented her until grass came on, but the calves were too spry to catch last night so I'll see how she does on just hay. She calved in March last year so she has had 4 calves in the last 12 mos.

That's one heck of a cow!

Years ago, my dad had a Shorthorn that had 3-4 sets of twins in a row, raised them all every year. Lightning got her and a bunch of others.

I have a Simmental cow that had twins in '16. Raised them on grass. Naturally, they were smaller than the rest of the group, but they did ok. Momma and her group went from a 21 day calving window in '16 to a 30 day window in '17, with Momma having a single in '17. I'm impressed that she kept herself so good raising the twins. Dang those hard doing Simmentals!
1 x
Formerly known as Clodhopper from SE IL


Return to “Breeding / Calving Issues”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests