Cow staggering around?

Got a calving or breeding question? Get an answer.
True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Cow staggering around?

Postby True Grit Farms » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:31 am

I've had a young cow staggering around for three days now. She's fairly heavy bred 7+ is what it feels like to me, the calf is floating around so I can't see where that is her problem. I gave her a heavy dose of Baytryil, MultiMin and some Banamine it doesn't seem to be helping. I tried taking her temperature but our TSC thermometer appears broken. She's eating hay, we cut off of the feed because her stool seems a little loose. According to her appearance you'd think nothing is wrong with her, and when she gets excited she moves good, you can't really tell she has a problem. I'm hoping our vet will feel like coming out and seeing what he thinks. But he had the flu bad yesterday and was thinking it would Monday before he can come out to take a look. Thanks for any suggestions.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Re: Cow staggering around?

Postby Bright Raven » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:33 am

Calf might be pressuring a nerve or nerve plexis. Although, if you palpated and it bounced freely... just a thought.
1 x

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:43 pm

Is she doing any better? Wish I had some insight but the only time I've seen staggering was anaplasmosis and a calf that had an aneurysm.
0 x

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:25 pm

Possibility of borderline milk fever although not often in beef cattle. Have had jerseys in the past get milk fever pre-calving.....Wouldn't think so, but who knows. Could be a pinched nerve also, not necessarily from the calf pinching a nerve, but if she is pretty big, she could have laid down wrong and put pressure on a nerve. Then when she got up, and if big she could be a bit clumsy, may have just put some pressure on it. If she is eating the hay good, and the calf seems to be moving inside, the next thing would be as you are planning to have the vet.
2 x

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Postby wbvs58 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:57 am

When you say staggering around do you think it is in the front end as originating from the brain or is she just wonky in the back legs. If it is nerve pressure it obviously will be only in the HQ and usually they have a stilted stiff gait.

Ken
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:31 am

True Grit Farms wrote:I've had a young cow staggering around for three days now. She's fairly heavy bred 7+ is what it feels like to me, the calf is floating around so I can't see where that is her problem. I gave her a heavy dose of Baytryil, MultiMin and some Banamine it doesn't seem to be helping. I tried taking her temperature but our TSC thermometer appears broken. She's eating hay, we cut off of the feed because her stool seems a little loose. According to her appearance you'd think nothing is wrong with her, and when she gets excited she moves good, you can't really tell she has a problem. I'm hoping our vet will feel like coming out and seeing what he thinks. But he had the flu bad yesterday and was thinking it would Monday before he can come out to take a look. Thanks for any suggestions.

How old are you?
;-)
:lol:
1 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:11 am

greybeard wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:I've had a young cow staggering around for three days now. She's fairly heavy bred 7+ is what it feels like to me, the calf is floating around so I can't see where that is her problem. I gave her a heavy dose of Baytryil, MultiMin and some Banamine it doesn't seem to be helping. I tried taking her temperature but our TSC thermometer appears broken. She's eating hay, we cut off of the feed because her stool seems a little loose. According to her appearance you'd think nothing is wrong with her, and when she gets excited she moves good, you can't really tell she has a problem. I'm hoping our vet will feel like coming out and seeing what he thinks. But he had the flu bad yesterday and was thinking it would Monday before he can come out to take a look. Thanks for any suggestions.

How old are you?
;-)

That is funny
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:16 am

Staggering brings to mind Listeria. Used to be referred to as Circling Disease. But, they tend to lose the ability to position the food in their mouth to swallow. One or both ears usually droop.
Hope the vet can come out. Also, sign of rabies.
Listeria can be treated if caught early, heavy doses of Penicillin. But, if they get to the circling stage, I don't think they can be helped, not sure on that.
I had one - late stage. Died , vet had to cut head open & get brain sample to test for Rabies or Listeria.
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:40 pm

greybeard wrote:

How old are you?
;-)

I'm surprised he has a cow with a problem.. you have to have cows before you have cows with problems :hide:
0 x
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:26 pm

Nesikep wrote:
greybeard wrote:

How old are you?
;-)

I'm surprised he has a cow with a problem.. you have to have cows before you have cows with problems :hide:

Vince has cows. He posted pictures of a couple of bulls he raised. Granted, it would be nice to see what other stock he has.
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:00 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
Nesikep wrote:
greybeard wrote:How old are you?
;-)

Vince has cows. He posted pictures of a couple of bulls he raised. Granted, it would be nice to see what other stock he has.

Blue dogs perhaps?
0 x
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:55 am

What is the status on this cow?
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:36 am

What happened? How is she doing? Did the vet come out?
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:07 am

Once the vet couldn't make it I took a long weekend, heading back to the farm today to see the news. Dr Jones said his guess is laminitis and just hope for the best. I got a ear full for giving her two heavy doses of Baytryil. Dr Jones told me don't give strong antibiotics to pregnant cows, and if you do start out with la200. I never remember hearing about not giving pregnant cows antibiotics.
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:10 pm

She seems better but still is staggering a little. We turned her out with the bred cows and everything is going good.
1 x

Return to “Breeding / Calving Issues”