Heifer down after stillborn calf

Got a calving or breeding question? Get an answer.
waterman74
Cowhand
Cowhand

Heifer down after stillborn calf

Postby waterman74 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:49 pm

Hey guys,
My best and favorite heifer this year lost her calf and is down.... She tries to get up, and did stand for about 30 seconds today... Most of the time she gets her back end up, but stays on her knees on the front... Gave her water and pellets today, and a steroid shot... I'm out of town and I have family taking care of her, any help would be appreciated.... My mom thinks her left back leg is the issue... Are there any high energy food to give her or other meds...I know the longer she is down, the chances aren't good, she's been down at least 24 hours.... Thanks

0 x

gcreekrch
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Re: Heifer down after stillborn calf

Postby gcreekrch » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:13 am

Get her to a place out of the weather and where she can be fed and watered regularly. Most are up to stay within a week.
2 x
Vaccinations, cheaper than whiskey. ;-)

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Postby wbvs58 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:15 am

Yes it would be nice to get her in like Gcreek suggested but where she is does not look too bad so if you can't move her maybe erect a bit of a cover and bring food and water to her. The fact that she has been up and is trying are good signs and she appears bright in those photos. Best of luck with her.

Ken
0 x

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:12 am

I had one down with nerve damage a few years ago. And fortunately she was in the barn when it happened. Gave her Dex and she slowly gained enough strength to get up on her own. Looked almost like she had contracted tendons on her right hind foot and I would force her to exercise a little at a time. Took about 6 weeks but she healed completely.
0 x

waterman74
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby waterman74 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:46 pm

Thanks....
This morning I was told she ate and drank, tried to get up, but her back hoofs are not wanting to flatten out, they kinda stay curled.... The neighbor is going to give her a couple more shots today..banamine and Dex hopefully....I have no way to move her or a barn to move her to at this pasture... Wife will give her some alfalfa cubes and sweet feed and water later today... And I'll post another pic. Thanks again
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:49 pm

Good luck. Hope she recovers, nice animal.
0 x
Make America Happy Again

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:57 pm

As far as moving her, the weather looks beautiful in the pic. Years ago I had a down cow in a far pasture with no way to move her. It was summer so I parked my Polaris next to her & stuck golf umbrellas in the utility holes of the bed for shade until one of our neighbors came over with a huge front end loader (I think 12 ft). We were able to load her in the bucket with dirt & moving pads to protect her then secured her with straps. Hauled her to the barn & gently rolled her out.

Good that she's eating & drinking. When you say her back hoofs are curled, that's what I was referring to when I mentioned contracted tendons. Good luck!
0 x

waterman74
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby waterman74 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:46 pm

Thanks...
Well no pics... My wife did the best she could... The neighbor was unable to get any shots today... Will try again tomorrow. She is still eating and drinking and moves around.... Still tries to get up, but back hoofs still not angled properly... Stays on knees in the front... I'm assuming the worst at this point... Good news is I got another new calf and it is doing well.
0 x

jerry27150
GURU
GURU

Postby jerry27150 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:08 pm

sounds like she may be low on mag, have a vet?
1 x

Lazy M
GURU
GURU

Postby Lazy M » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:52 pm

Sad to say but I am beginning to believe that one of my old farmer buddies is right.. When asked for advice on what he does with downer cows he said that he slaps her with his hat, and if she doesn't get up, her shoots her..
0 x

waterman74
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby waterman74 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:58 pm

I'm going have my brother drench her with cmpk tomorrow... Not ready to give up, yet unless she does.
0 x

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Postby wbvs58 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:01 am

She is going OK, it is all about nursing and time.

Ken
3 x

JW IN VA
Rancher
Rancher

Postby JW IN VA » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:30 am

I have had them like that,too.Give her time.She is eating and trying to get up on her own.I once had one down for six weeks.We carried feed and water to her everyday.She finally got up,made a good cow and the only thing you could tell about her was the little spot of white hair where she had skinned a place falling.
0 x
Not everything your neighbors do is wrong-Not everything they do is right,either.

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:08 am

As long as she is trying, you need to give her some time. And to sound like a weirdo, but does your vet have any experience in Chiropractic? We have a vet here that does alot of it. Has saved 2 high priced dairy cows that were down for weeks with the farmer getting them up with slings and all. Then the vet worked on their spines and they were able to get up and going. Had to have a couple of treatments. It is common practice to do that in many horses. I think BF even has had one or two horses worked on. It is usually a combination of borderline low in minerals, and nerve damage from compression during calving.
0 x

Silver
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Silver » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:47 am

When she does get up be prepared for a total lack of appreciation for all you have done for her. We've had a few over the years that we've dealt with and it is quite common for them to get up the first time when you are bringing them feed or water. For some reason they blame you for their predicament and upon getting to their feet will take down on you immediately. Just my two cents!
0 x

Return to “Breeding / Calving Issues”