Breed back earlier

Got a calving or breeding question? Get an answer.
dps
Cowhand
Cowhand

Breed back earlier

Postby dps » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:31 am

We have a few cows we would like to get bred back earlier to get them back with the rest of the herd.

I see you can place a CIDR at 20 days postpartum and remove it in 7 days.

Anyone tried this or had luck with anything else.

Thanks
0 x

M-5
GURU
GURU

Re: Breed back earlier

Postby M-5 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:48 am

do you AI or natural service .

If they are far apart it will take a couple years to get them closer
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

dps
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby dps » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:06 am

Natural Service.

Unfortunately I realize it will take a few years.

We had 20 that calved from Mid Feb to Mid April.
12 of them have backed up to December and early January over the past 2 calving seasons.
the other 8 are not backing up at all, not getting later just calving consistently
every 355 - 365 days.

Would like to get them all back to December.

They are having their 4th calves this year so they are 6yo
0 x

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:16 am

I assume you run bull year round , If so you will never get them all together. To get a tight precise calving season you will need to only run the bull for 45 to 60 days , Then you cull the ones that did not breed on that schedule. those 8 most likely will never stay on schedule if there avg post partum is consistent .
1 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

dps
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby dps » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:43 am

We have 2 calving seasons. we started years ago with 75 fall and 25 spring.

These cows are later because they were spring heifers bred to calve at 24 months
so they have not gotten behind just have not gained like the rest.

This year we had 84 born from 10-15 until 12-31
4 born Jan 5-17 and last 8 calving now.

We put out our bulls around Christmas and anything calving after that date
are immediately put in with a bull.

We pull the bulls from the fall groups March 10-25th each year.

We will leave the cows that calved after Jan 1st with bull until May 1st.
0 x

Lucky
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Lucky » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:58 pm

If you are wanting them to breed in 30 days after calving this is hard to do, I’ve only had a few cows that would do this every year. I bit the bullet and sold all my late calvers this year. It just tales too long to get them in sync and some will never move up. I would think it would be especially hard to get them to breed sooner if you are turning the bulls out in January with no green grass on the ground. Hopefully someone has the secret to doing this though.
0 x

Lazy M
GURU
GURU

Postby Lazy M » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:00 pm

Only way to possibly make them breed back sooner is to get the late calvers up and supplement them with grain as soon as they calve. You'll need to make sure that they are in excellent body condition to have a shot at an early breed back. Many/some probably won't even do it then.
2 x

Ebenezer
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Ebenezer » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:15 am

Feed is key, especially fat and especially a type of bypass fat. Protein is a great thing but mixed with a source of bypass fat it is synergistic.
0 x

NEFarmwife
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby NEFarmwife » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:00 am

I would just get them bred and then sell just before pasture. People will be looking to get some extra head in their pastures if their numbers aren't there and these cows may be bred to calve when the new owners calve out so they'll fit better.

Then go buy you some pairs that fit your herd better.
1 x

dps
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby dps » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:42 am

Thanks everyone for your thoughts.

I talked to a Veterinary Theriogenologist and he said that some people have had good luck using the CIDRs at 20 days and removing them in 7 days, others have not had much luck.

I have decided to deworm them with Fenbendazole and give them a shot of Multimin when they calve, feed them wet wrapped alfalfa, and possibly some grain (they are all in really good shape already) and 20 days post calving put in a CIDR for 7 days and remove and see if we have any luck.

If they not breed earlier they will be sold.
1 x

dps
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby dps » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:54 am

Well we have tried it on a cow.

She is a 10 yo that calved 02/19/2018
Put Cidr in on 3/11/2018, dewormed her with injectable Ivermectin and gave her Multimin.
Pulled Cidr on 3/18/2018 put out with bull.
Bred 03/21/2018.

Now to see if she sticks.

Put in another one this past Friday and 3 to put in Wednesday.
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:51 am

I've heard of that program, but have not needed to try it. Keep us posted.
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:45 am

Lucky wrote:If you are wanting them to breed in 30 days after calving this is hard to do, I’ve only had a few cows that would do this every year. I bit the bullet and sold all my late calvers this year. It just tales too long to get them in sync and some will never move up. I would think it would be especially hard to get them to breed sooner if you are turning the bulls out in January with no green grass on the ground. Hopefully someone has the secret to doing this though.

With good pasture, you can move up most cows, but as others said there are some that are just not that fertile. I can move up about 2/3 of gate cut English cows with good forage. Once you cull the less fertile, or buy in some Hereford x cows, this percentage will go up.

i don't understand why you would want to supplement during an off season and fight with mother nature. Sounds like a way for a commercial operation to lose money.

There is some info on the web on using CIDRs. They can help, but a trailer works better. Another related approach to trigger cycling is to pull the calf for 24 hrs.
0 x
Stocker Steve

cattleman99
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby cattleman99 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:18 am

I find the spring calves, later half of the May-June calves will breed back quicker as a group, a lot of that has to do with environment. Green grass don't show up til around the first of June here most years. With the proper mineral program it helps too.

Am anticipating a poor start to my January calves next year with a slower start, it's still cold with a lot of snow on the ground. Cows just aren't cycling like they did last year when it was warm by now. Genetics definitely play a role but in my experience environmental factors like a late spring are just as influential. As soon as it warms up to above freezing consistently the cows will get active quick.
0 x

Lucky
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Lucky » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:28 am

A good mineral program is key to getting them bred. Allot of folks think it’s just an added expense and don’t do it. I’ve had good luck with Multimin 90 and use it every spring too.
0 x

Return to “Breeding / Calving Issues”