Well I Guess We're Calving

Got a calving or breeding question? Get an answer.
Silver
Rancher
Rancher

Well I Guess We're Calving

Postby Silver » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:55 pm

Due date is March 10, had 3 so far today to go with the twins from a few days ago and the preemie 2 weeks ago. Everyone is alive and kicking, so hopefully things continue along in an orderly fashion. I know some folks have lots of calves before the due date, we usually get some.
60 days from now I will get to sleep through the night again! :nod:
7 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Well I Guess We're Calving

Postby Nesikep » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:08 am

I had a single and a pair of twins a week ago, then nothing.. nothing.. nothing... Got a couple pretty bagged up and flabby butts, I figure a day or two.. Kinda slow start.. I bred for a Mar 1st start.
2 x
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

Silver
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Silver » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:47 pm

From my living room window this morning. I don't think this one will calve any time soon.

Momma's loafing with their babies.

Had our third set of twins this morning. :(
3 x

Lazy M
GURU
GURU

Postby Lazy M » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:14 pm

Cattle look to be in great condition. Hopefully it is a "dry" cold there, because it doesn't look like very fun weather to check the cattle in.. Pretty pics though.
0 x

Silver
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Silver » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:19 pm

Lazy M wrote:Cattle look to be in great condition. Hopefully it is a "dry" cold there, because it doesn't look like very fun weather to check the cattle in.. Pretty pics though.

During the day it's been perfect for calving, today -4 C, sunny and no wind to speak of but it's getting awful cold at night. Looking forward to the warmer nights they are forecasting. Not looking forward overnight temps too much above freezing though.
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:41 am

I like the weather we have now.. a little below freezing at night, a little above in the day, snow has mostly melted, and we have a gradual breakup, so things don't turn into total muck, it gets to dry up a bit in the daytime
1 x
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Postby wbvs58 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:11 am

The twins are coming thick and fast Silver, you only started calving a couple of days ago.

It looks nice and dry underfoot in those yards.

Ken
0 x

NonTypicalCPA
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby NonTypicalCPA » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:02 pm

Silver, you must have somehow taught your cattle not to crap where they sleep! Or you just put in fresh straw.
0 x

MRRherefords
Rancher
Rancher

Postby MRRherefords » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:22 pm

NonTypicalCPA wrote:Silver, you must have somehow taught your cattle not to crap where they sleep! Or you just put in fresh straw.

Wish I could teach them to do that.
3 x

Silver
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Silver » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:48 pm

Another set of twins at 2:00 this morning. Had to extract the second calf, both dead. Did a skin job on the one she had licked off and hung the new coat on a bottle calf. Not looking promising for the graft job to take. With hobbles and patience I hope to overcome.
0 x

gcreekrch
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby gcreekrch » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:22 am

Silver wrote:Another set of twins at 2:00 this morning. Had to extract the second calf, both dead. Did a skin job on the one she had licked off and hung the new coat on a bottle calf. Not looking promising for the graft job to take. With hobbles and patience I hope to overcome.

Try giving the parts exposed beyond the hide a milk bath from the adopting mother. A plastic glove and get some discharge from both ends to rub on the calf too. Never let the cow get a smell of her adoptee before you are ready.
1 x
Vaccinations, cheaper than whiskey. ;-)

Silver
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Silver » Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:04 am

gcreekrch wrote:
Silver wrote:Another set of twins at 2:00 this morning. Had to extract the second calf, both dead. Did a skin job on the one she had licked off and hung the new coat on a bottle calf. Not looking promising for the graft job to take. With hobbles and patience I hope to overcome.

Try giving the parts exposed beyond the hide a milk bath from the adopting mother. A plastic glove and get some discharge from both ends to rub on the calf too. Never let the cow get a smell of her adoptee before you are ready.

Oh yes, played this game many times. Nearly always persevere ;-)
1 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:39 am

Cattle look good. Good luck on your grafting. I have not done many, but seems like a fresh cow is the easiest. If it's been a few days, not so easy.
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

Silver
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Silver » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:31 am

Just got back from watching a cow calve. When I got there it was out to the shoulders with one leg back :o She was making good progress, but stood up for a minute, calf lively and looking around. Then she laid back down with the calf's head under her butt. I went in the pen with her right away, she gave another push and the calf came out, it's head was free of her hind end, but I guess the damage was done. I assume broken neck, doesn't really matter the end result is that I'll start another graft job after breakfast.
0 x

Silver
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Silver » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:01 am

Latest graft job was an instant success, that sure makes life better. First graft job cow is still hobbled and the calf is keeping her empty. Cow is at that stage where she is resigned to her fate but not yet embracing it.
Another set of twins last night. I think this cow has the groceries to look after both of them for the time being so I'll set up a pen for her and babies to inhabit until I need one of the calves.
1 x

Return to “Breeding / Calving Issues”