Pooper behind me

Got a calving or breeding question? Get an answer.
cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Pooper behind me

Postby cowgirl8 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:07 pm

Every year my calving heifers have milestones, not good ones, but it seems to run the same every year...
First calf born dead, watched her labor and got tired of waiting, was alive when we got her in the chute but never took a breath.... I'll have the 'its not my calf' heifer. We'll have the 'that's my calf not this one that just fell out my butt.' And then the pooper. The pooper lays down at night and what she thinks is just a big poop, its actually a smallish calf. What happens with the pooper is they don't get up and if the sack is still over the calf, it suffocates. I'll go out at first light and find a dead calf, usually cleaned off by someone and i'll have to look for who had it. Sometimes she's still just laying there with the dead calf behind her. But, we saw pooper when she started labor this season. And as usual, she did not get up. We got to the calf before he suffocated. But meanwhile, she gets up and walks away chewing her cud, lah la lah..UGH... Since her calf was tiny, she was spunky. Penned them up and we had a good outcome and they are out with the herd now. What I have left is the, 'quit trying to nurse me' heifer. I still have over 20 left to calve. These girls wear me out.....
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

Putangitangi
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Pooper behind me

Postby Putangitangi » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:00 pm

It's the 'pooper' heifers that keep me out at night when they're expected. I've seen that too many times and it's such a waste of a year's work to miss that minute during which you could rescue the calf! The ones I see aren't tiny though, they're the ones their mothers are just glad are finished causing the pain and the pushing and so they lie there in relief that it's all stopped. I've cleared a calf's face and then watched it gradually get more lively until it was crawling its way around the side of the heifer before she even noticed it. Fortunately all of mine in recent years have been happy the calf is theirs.
0 x

jehosofat
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby jehosofat » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:07 pm

Just curious why you would not cull the pooper.
1 x

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:30 pm

jehosofat wrote:Just curious why you would not cull the pooper.

Its a heifer and her first calf.
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

jehosofat
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby jehosofat » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:38 pm

cowgirl8 wrote:

Quoted from your original post.

Sometimes she's still just laying there with the dead calf behind her. But, we saw pooper when she started labor this season. And as usual, she did not get up.
1 x

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:26 am

jehosofat wrote:
cowgirl8 wrote:

Quoted from your original post.

Sometimes she's still just laying there with the dead calf behind her. But, we saw pooper when she started labor this season. And as usual, she did not get up.

Pooper is what I call a heifer that year that does that. The name does not stay with her.
0 x

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:39 pm

I forgot the 'swarm'...Where bored heifers see a heifer with a brand new just hit the ground calf and they swarm her. I had calves die when they do this. And it confuses the calf, since everyone is sniffing and talking.. They have trouble deciding who their mother is. I think I thwarted that one too...Love having my heifers at the house, I can watch them almost all day. Oh and another, 'bred to bulls who produce tiny calves and one has one over 100 pounds', just pulled that one. Luckily we were here or she would have been the 'calf stuck, dead and heifer paralyzed" case...
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:41 pm

Heifers can make you pull your hair out for sure sometimes.. One of mine slipped her calf 3 weeks early, I think it was a bit of a "pooper" deal.. slipped? fell? shoved? who knows... Next one had her calf standing up, took care of it alright.. 2 more to go, should have them this week
0 x
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:57 am

Had the," Its not my calf, get it away from me" or the, "What is this thing, get it away." heifer yesterday. We had to pull it. Was the hardest pull we've had in a very long time. So hard, I had to look away while the guys winched away. We heard so much popping and snapping, it sickened me, there was no turning back at this point. But all is well and calf just fine. Really thought his shoulders were jacked. Big stout bull calf, very very strong, luckily. He chased that heifer around for hours until I decided to put her in the chute so he could finally nurse. She's not real aggressive, but, politely pushes him away. Stood quietly in the chute.. We'll get this worked out.. I started counting and looks like we are down to around 10 heifers left. Yay....Once we get these heifers done, we're out of here...
0 x

jehosofat
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby jehosofat » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:52 am

cowgirl8 wrote:Had the," Its not my calf, get it away from me" or the, "What is this thing, get it away." heifer yesterday. We had to pull it. Was the hardest pull we've had in a very long time. So hard, I had to look away while the guys winched away. We heard so much popping and snapping, it sickened me, there was no turning back at this point. But all is well and calf just fine. Really thought his shoulders were jacked. Big stout bull calf, very very strong, luckily. He chased that heifer around for hours until I decided to put her in the chute so he could finally nurse. She's not real aggressive, but, politely pushes him away. Stood quietly in the chute.. We'll get this worked out.. I started counting and looks like we are down to around 10 heifers left. Yay....Once we get these heifers done, we're out of here...

WOW, you have some incredible stories. Must be exciting to be a real rancher.
2 x

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:30 pm

Aint nobody got time for dis
0 x

greatgerts
GURU
GURU

Postby greatgerts » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:03 am

cowgirl8 wrote:Image

So, will she be culled?
0 x

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:05 am

greatgerts wrote:
cowgirl8 wrote:Image

So, will she be culled?

It's a heifer. Just depends. Seeing that we pulled that stout bull out of her she'll probably never have problems with the size of a calf the rest of her life. Worth considering keeping and we've never had one repeat. It's a heifer thing.
0 x

Supa Dexta
GURU
GURU

Postby Supa Dexta » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:21 am

It appears your husband has time for it, and you have time for pictures. As per normal.

...You decided.. Yeah I betcha.
1 x

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:27 pm

Supa Dexta wrote:It appears your husband has time for it, and you have time for pictures. As per normal.

...You decided.. Yeah I betcha.

what does this mean?
0 x

Return to “Breeding / Calving Issues”