Pooper behind me

Got a calving or breeding question? Get an answer.
cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Re: Pooper behind me

Postby cowgirl8 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:37 am

I was going to post the latest picture of 'What is this thing, get it away?" heifer. Still not happy about the calf nursing, but tolerating it some. Luckily he's what I call a Zombie calf. Just keeps coming at you no matter what is done to him. He was trying to nurse and she'd let him for a second, but he's so aggressive that he buts her hard and that doesn't go over well with her. As he nursed, I got the chute ready and that got her attention where it gave him a better chance to nurse longer. SO, I decided that it was time for the feed distraction. YAY, it worked.
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

jehosofat
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby jehosofat » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:34 am

I'd like to see a terminal cross of Pooper and Zombie, back over a Get It Away. Prolly make a he// of a calf.
0 x

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:49 am

Seeing the light at the end of the tunnel...
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:17 pm

Update on Pooper. She's mothering her calf and all is well and is now in their summer pasture. But, one of the cows who had been partially paralyzed, lost her calf, and put in the pen with the calving heifers, has adopted poopers baby. So baby pooper has two mommies. It will be interesting to see if baby poop grows better than the others. SHe's so tiny now...
Zombie calf has won, she's given up and he gets to nurse all he wants now. BTW, I've been giving our cattle goofy names forever. Here is a youtube I have with a zombie calf from 8 years ago. Not all calves are like this, just occasionally do we get a bottle calf or one we need to help that is like this.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KE_fZhvYPtc
0 x

Return to “Breeding / Calving Issues”