Heifers will make you old

Got a calving or breeding question? Get an answer.
Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Heifers will make you old

Postby Nesikep » Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:56 pm

VAginal prolapse cows are pretty much always repeat offenders if given the chance, and it's hereditary.. Uterine is just bad luck from what I hear
1 x
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

gdale
Beginner
Beginner

Postby gdale » Sun May 13, 2018 1:59 pm

I came across this post and decided to add my heifer calving issue for the year. I always walk through and check for new calves at least 2 or 3 times a day, and noticed the last heifer to calve standing by herself staring at something. I didn't see a calf until I walked over and peered over the edge of a deep draw where her new calf was submerged in water, thankfully with his head still above water. I'm guessing he'd been in there 30-45 minutes and had stumbled over the edge when he was trying to get up. I managed to pull him back up onto flat ground, ran back to the house and got the pickup, and loaded him up and took him back to the house to warm up. It was a cold, rainy windy afternoon in the 40s, and he seemed pretty chilled and wasn't acting too good. His gums and mouth were cold, so I soaked him in the tub awhile, rubbed him down with towels and had space heaters going, and got 3 pints of colostrum tubed. After about 3 hours, he perked up and was ready to go back to mama. While taking him back to the heifer out in the pasture, he was trying to suck on hand and my mudboots, which was a good sign. I went back to check on them at 10:30pm that night to find his nose wet from nursing and front nipples were wet. Checked on both again this morning and found a happy family!

2 x
Preserving the original red Limousin while maintaining muscle, milk, and docility.

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Sun May 13, 2018 4:17 pm

gdale wrote:I came across this post and decided to add my heifer calving issue for the year. I always walk through and check for new calves at least 2 or 3 times a day, and noticed the last heifer to calve standing by herself staring at something. I didn't see a calf until I walked over and peered over the edge of a deep draw where her new calf was submerged in water, thankfully with his head still above water. I'm guessing he'd been in there 30-45 minutes and had stumbled over the edge when he was trying to get up. I managed to pull him back up onto flat ground, ran back to the house and got the pickup, and loaded him up and took him back to the house to warm up. It was a cold, rainy windy afternoon in the 40s, and he seemed pretty chilled and wasn't acting too good. His gums and mouth were cold, so I soaked him in the tub awhile, rubbed him down with towels and had space heaters going, and got 3 pints of colostrum tubed. After about 3 hours, he perked up and was ready to go back to mama. While taking him back to the heifer out in the pasture, he was trying to suck on hand and my mudboots, which was a good sign. I went back to check on them at 10:30pm that night to find his nose wet from nursing and front nipples were wet. Checked on both again this morning and found a happy family!

Nice that it worked out well!.. Only heifer that had a problem this year was a big tall one, had a leg backward, easy fix, she was easy to deal with and the calf came out fine after... She didn't know she had to lick it, and the calf was slow to suck.. Finally she figured out something needed licking.. so she licked me half to death.. then she started on the calf and licked it for HOURS.. he actually had a sore spot on his back from it.. He was a little slow to learn to nurse, I named him Dumdum... once he figured the teats out he was fine, grows like a weed, really nicely built too, and a pesky bugger.. always pushing and shoving your knees

a week or so later.. that was 2 months ago.. he's still one of the most rambunctious of the bunch
1 x
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Mon May 14, 2018 7:23 am

Nesi, glad I'm not the only one with cows/calves that completely disregard personal boundaries! Cute video.
1 x

elkwc
GURU
GURU

Postby elkwc » Mon May 14, 2018 5:32 pm

I calved part of mine this year to an Angus bull I raised off of a bred Angus cow I purchased. Had to pull one of them. The rest we bred to half corriente bulls. Pulled one because we were needed to leave and didn't wait for her to have it. Since the first 4 came fine we have left the rest in the pasture and check them once a day at most. Down to 5 to go out of 24. So far it is working well. The calves are 3/4 Angus so not bad calves and being I couldn't be there during the week it sure makes it easier on her.
0 x

NonTypicalCPA
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby NonTypicalCPA » Wed May 16, 2018 12:19 pm

Nesi, as a man like yourself, I'd be careful letting that calf do that when he gets much taller!
0 x

Return to “Breeding / Calving Issues”