Running 2 bulls together

Got a calving or breeding question? Get an answer.
jerry27150
GURU
GURU

Re: Running 2 bulls together

Postby jerry27150 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:57 pm

some bulls are fighters & others aren't, last year I had two half brothers that were raised together, they ended up hurting each other & had to be separated one hobbled around but could still breed, other was down for two months & one hind foot was never right
0 x

rockroadseminole
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby rockroadseminole » Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:58 pm

I've always been a believer in an odd number of bulls. Two to fight and one to breed.

Having said that our red angus herd has had two bulls (bought from the same breeder, so have always been together) put in with them for two years with no problems. The older they get the more serious they seem to fight, once or twice early. Then they seem to divide and conquer.

Three is better than two, but I'd hate to have just one. He breaks his unit or gets sick and sperm count goes down, and you don't have any backup.
0 x

Clod Hopper
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Clod Hopper » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:00 pm

I learned the hard way one bull is never the right answer for me. I run two and it seems to work out. I have always heard odd numbers are better though.
0 x

gcreekrch
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby gcreekrch » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:41 pm

Silver wrote:Maybe it's a bad idea if your breeding pasture is quite small. We run multiple bulls as a matter of course. Every so often one might get whipped and go sulk for awhile (usually later in the season), and every few years one will get pushed off a cow and break his penis. I couldn't imagine breaking the herd down to groups that would work for one bull. And then the logistics of organizing things so as not to have them sharing a fence. Sounds like trouble to me.

I concur Silver.We have run multiple bulls with each herd forever. 10 with 200 heifers last year resulted in a 90% conception rate in 42 days last summer and 88% in 2016 on 160 for 35 days.

Cows rarely go beyond 8% open but a lot of the opens in them we blame on harassment from predators.
2 x
Vaccinations, cheaper than whiskey. ;-)

W.B.
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby W.B. » Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:18 am

Run 5 to 6 bulls in some bigger pastures every year. The strong survive and breed and the weak go to the corner.
0 x

Hunter
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Hunter » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:13 am

JW IN VA wrote:You can run an older bull and a small bull together since there's no doubt who the boss is.Sometimes it helps keep the older bull's mind on his cows instead of others.
Didn't work this year as the oldest bull left a two year old in charge,jumped the fence and whipped my 3 year old.He's about ready to find a new home.

What would be a good age gap to have if I decided to run two bulls?
We have about 29 head now and may go up to 35.
Is one bull enough for 35 females?
0 x

Supa Dexta
GURU
GURU

Postby Supa Dexta » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:06 am

If he's a decent bull atleast a couple yrs old, and not covering a lot of ground he can.
0 x

pdfangus
GURU
GURU

Postby pdfangus » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:09 am

Yall make me glad that I have AI Bred cows since 1975....
Then one bull can do cleanup on a big group of cattle...
1 x
Strength is of no value if it does not have a
useful application for good.
Jim Tate
pdfangus@gmail.com

JW IN VA
Rancher
Rancher

Postby JW IN VA » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:47 pm

Supa Dexta wrote:If he's a decent bull atleast a couple yrs old, and not covering a lot of ground he can.

No reason why he couldn't unless they all cycled in a very short time.I'd make sure he was in good shape to start with.I still think it's better to rotate them than have two at one time.
0 x
Not everything your neighbors do is wrong-Not everything they do is right,either.

Lucky
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Lucky » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:10 pm

Are you running bulls year round or pulling them after x # of days?
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:12 am

I'd definitely try to keep them as two herds.. for one, you have a better idea which calves are from what bull, and less fighting.. If just for the first cycle already..
Last year I had two bulls, a 3 and 5 year old, they were separated the first 2 months of breeding, then got put back together.. well.. they had a 4 hour fight, and it's the younger one that ended up dominant
0 x
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

Texasmark
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Texasmark » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:21 am

True Grit Farms wrote:
JW IN VA wrote:Can you put one bull then the other at 2-3 week intervals?Two that close in size are going to do a lot of fighting and possibly miss a chance.

One bull is going to hurt the other, if the bulls are bred to breed. Nature is cruel and doesn't give many second chances. I'm putting a young bull in with the two older bulls. My bulls are best buddies until you turn them in with the girls, then the fight is on whenever a cow comes into heat. Please report back and let us know what you figure out, I have this problem myself.

My heart button doesn't work either. Agree with True Grit.
0 x

Hunter
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Hunter » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:50 am

Lucky wrote:Are you running bulls year round or pulling them after x # of days?

If this is a ? for me, we run bulls year around.
0 x

Lucky
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Lucky » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:15 pm

Hunter wrote:

I posted that to the OP but if you are running bulls year round I would think 1 bull could breed 50 cows pretty easy.
0 x

Ky hills
GURU
GURU

Postby Ky hills » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:50 pm

Lucky wrote:
Hunter wrote:

I posted that to the OP but if you are running bulls year round I would think 1 bull could breed 50 cows pretty easy.

Ideally I would be running them with cows for around 3-4 months at the most and pulling them out, but recently haven't been able to do that. We actually have more bulls than needed cow wise, but with a heifer project and cows bulls are needed at the same time.
0 x

Return to “Breeding / Calving Issues”