baby sitting

Got a calving or breeding question? Get an answer.
User avatar
M-5
GURU
GURU
Posts: 6916
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:41 pm
Location: AT the FLORIDA STATE line checking papers

baby sitting

Postby M-5 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:19 pm

Ive had a string of calves born In the last few weeks and babysitter seems to get changed out pretty quick. This year it has been very consistent with the newest mama being the baby sitter .
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

callmefence
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4748
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:36 pm
Location: Fencemans place...central Texas

Re: baby sitting

Postby callmefence » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:37 pm

They take turns for sure. Seems alot of times a hiefer gets assigned babysitting duties.
0 x
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.




You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

boondocks
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2465
Joined: Thu May 09, 2013 2:22 pm
Location: Upstate NY

Re: baby sitting

Postby boondocks » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:45 pm

The funny thing to me is how the age groups of calves stick together. Last summer we had 2 calves born late March and one about a month later. Then had a second group of three born about a month after that. The older calves hung out together in one group, and the (only-slightly-younger) calves hung out/played in a discrete group.
0 x

User avatar
TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 11677
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:49 pm
Location: Live in Franklin, TN farm in Warsaw, KY

Re: baby sitting

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:54 pm

M-5 wrote:Ive had a string of calves born In the last few weeks and babysitter seems to get changed out pretty quick. This year it has been very consistent with the newest mama being the baby sitter .


Makes sense that the newest mom would be the most reluctant to leave the newborn calf.
1 x
You're not paranoid, they really are out to get you!

User avatar
M-5
GURU
GURU
Posts: 6916
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:41 pm
Location: AT the FLORIDA STATE line checking papers

Re: baby sitting

Postby M-5 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:17 pm

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
M-5 wrote:Ive had a string of calves born In the last few weeks and babysitter seems to get changed out pretty quick. This year it has been very consistent with the newest mama being the baby sitter .


Makes sense that the newest mom would be the most reluctant to leave the newborn calf.


That is the case most of the time . funny thing is the heifer that I grafted the calf on for a few days didn't want to give up her baby sitting duty and she stay for a couple days with the heard boss when she had hers
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

User avatar
OleScout
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 89
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:39 am
Location: North Mississippi

Re: baby sitting

Postby OleScout » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:19 pm

I have seen my bull taking a few turns at babysitting this spring. He will be laid up with 8-10 babies scattered around him, mommas off grazing out of sight. He licks on babies more than I've ever noticed by a bull.
0 x

User avatar
M-5
GURU
GURU
Posts: 6916
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:41 pm
Location: AT the FLORIDA STATE line checking papers

Re: baby sitting

Postby M-5 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:25 pm

OleScout wrote:I have seen my bull taking a few turns at babysitting this spring. He will be laid up with 8-10 babies scattered around him, mommas off grazing out of sight. He licks on babies more than I've ever noticed by a bull.


Ive had older bulls do that
young ones only have one thing on their mind
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

User avatar
Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 13501
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:37 pm
Location: Lillooet, BC, Canada

Re: baby sitting

Postby Nesikep » Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:45 pm

My current bull Hector was definitely the babysitter at his old place.. apparently Marko (the one that got traded) is the same.. plays with the calves, they can head butt him, etc and he just stands there
0 x
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

User avatar
Txpiney
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 342
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:04 pm
Location: Wiergate,Tx.

Re: baby sitting

Postby Txpiney » Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:32 pm

Image
Here's a nap party just fixin to get started
0 x

User avatar
TCRanch
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3131
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:21 am
Location: Winfield, KS

Re: baby sitting

Postby TCRanch » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:04 pm

M-5 wrote:
OleScout wrote:I have seen my bull taking a few turns at babysitting this spring. He will be laid up with 8-10 babies scattered around him, mommas off grazing out of sight. He licks on babies more than I've ever noticed by a bull.


Ive had older bulls do that
young ones only have one thing on their mind

X2!
0 x

boondocks
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2465
Joined: Thu May 09, 2013 2:22 pm
Location: Upstate NY

Re: baby sitting

Postby boondocks » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:48 pm

Txpiney wrote:Image
Here's a nap party just fixin to get started


nice calves, but what is that green stuff they're walking on?
0 x

kickinbull
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 441
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:31 pm
Location: SC KY

Re: baby sitting

Postby kickinbull » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:04 pm

We had a cow that was always the babysitter.
0 x

User avatar
Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 13501
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:37 pm
Location: Lillooet, BC, Canada

Re: baby sitting

Postby Nesikep » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:35 pm

When my buddy got one of my cows, she was the designated babysitter for the first year until she made her spot in the herd
0 x
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

User avatar
Txpiney
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 342
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:04 pm
Location: Wiergate,Tx.

Re: baby sitting

Postby Txpiney » Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:10 pm

boondocks wrote:
Txpiney wrote:Image
Here's a nap party just fixin to get started


nice calves, but what is that green stuff they're walking on?

Thanks boondocks, the green stuff is a well kept secret in the south :lol:
0 x

User avatar
ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 15498
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:16 pm
Location: Alabama the Beautiful

Re: baby sitting

Postby ALACOWMAN » Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:17 pm

OleScout wrote:I have seen my bull taking a few turns at babysitting this spring. He will be laid up with 8-10 babies scattered around him, mommas off grazing out of sight. He licks on babies more than I've ever noticed by a bull.

Gotta wash the dishes once in a while...that's A lota women to keep happy....
0 x
there are two ways to argue with a woman.....neither one works..


Return to “Breeding / Calving Issues”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests