Gonna have an "oops" baby.

Got a calving or breeding question? Get an answer.
TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Re: Gonna have an "oops" baby.

Postby TCRanch » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:02 am

Welcome to the world, little Oops Baby! Nice big bull calf 9 days overdue & a hard pull but little mama & baby are doing great! (side note: interesting that previous comments are now missing since the most recent CT software update. Hmmm?)
2 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:05 am

Good deal.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:32 am

TCRanch wrote: (side note: interesting that previous comments are now missing since the most recent CT software update. Hmmm?)

Yep. The following thread about 'bull meat' also had a pretty good handful of replies before the upgrade and now there is nothing there but the original post.
viewtopic.php?f=8&p=1508477#p1508477

(I do wonder how often the board's software does it's auto backup)
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

Silver
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Silver » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:50 am

Just had one of our oops babies an hour ago. Unassisted, and mother is mothering the calf like an old hand. Hopefully it's up and sucking as I type. One left to go.
3 x

lithuanian farmer
GURU
GURU

Postby lithuanian farmer » Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:02 pm

Glad to see that both are alive and well!
1 x

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:48 pm

Silver wrote:Just had one of our oops babies an hour ago. Unassisted, and mother is mothering the calf like an old hand. Hopefully it's up and sucking as I type. One left to go.

This guy was a little slow but the Hoofometer Birthweight tape put him at 95 lbs (there's a potential 7 lb +/- variable but generally fairly accurate). I ended up drenching him with half a bottle of colostrum replacer with a shot of Vitamin B Complex and that's all it took - next time I went to check he was up & nursing like a champ.

Good luck on your (hopefully!) last one!
2 x

Silver
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Silver » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:49 pm

TCRanch wrote:
Silver wrote:Just had one of our oops babies an hour ago. Unassisted, and mother is mothering the calf like an old hand. Hopefully it's up and sucking as I type. One left to go.

This guy was a little slow but the Hoofometer Birthweight tape put him at 95 lbs (there's a potential 7 lb +/- variable but generally fairly accurate). I ended up drenching him with half a bottle of colostrum replacer with a shot of Vitamin B Complex and that's all it took - next time I went to check he was up & nursing like a champ.

Good luck on your (hopefully!) last one!

Glad it's working out for you. Ours is pretty tiny and weak. Took him from his mom and put him in the hotbox for a few hours today and gave drenched him with colostrum milk replacer as well. I don't have the B complex on hand, might get my hands on some tomorrow if he's still alive. The good part is that the mother is doing well, hopefully she breeds back in time to stay in the herd.
2 x

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:45 pm

Any updates, Silver?

My pair is still in the barnyard, she refuses to leave & join the herd. Little concerned she's not producing enough for such a big calf because he's always nursing but I'm going to pull him early anyway to give her time to recoup and he seems very healthy/bunky otherwise.
0 x

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:07 am

We luted every dang kept heifer this year and still had a Uh Oh...Pulled it and calf was paralyzed on one front leg. Wasn't a hard pull though, so dunno… After a week, it seemed to get better but I noticed that after a bottle, the calf grunted. Had this happen before with bad results. Sure enough, went to feed it one morning and it was dead. Don't know what was causing the grunting, but its not good, obviously....
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

Silver
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Silver » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:55 am

TCRanch wrote:Any updates, Silver?

My pair is still in the barnyard, she refuses to leave & join the herd. Little concerned she's not producing enough for such a big calf because he's always nursing but I'm going to pull him early anyway to give her time to recoup and he seems very healthy/bunky otherwise.

Glad to hear he's healthy. We had to put ours down. He never showed much sign of life, had some weird symptoms. Never could stand. Oh well, the mother is fine and may even breed back in time.
The other heifer still has a way to go. We have the three heifers in the barnyard as well, along with a lame bull and another bull that didn't seem to want to work. One of the prospective mothers got bred the other day, so obviously she wasn't as pregnant as I thought she was, and the bull has more libido than I thought he did lol.
2 x

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:06 pm

Silver wrote:
TCRanch wrote:Any updates, Silver?

Glad to hear he's healthy. We had to put ours down. He never showed much sign of life, had some weird symptoms. Never could stand. Oh well, the mother is fine and may even breed back in time.
The other heifer still has a way to go. We have the three heifers in the barnyard as well, along with a lame bull and another bull that didn't seem to want to work. One of the prospective mothers got bred the other day, so obviously she wasn't as pregnant as I thought she was, and the bull has more libido than I thought he did lol.

Dang, I'm sorry to hear that! Although good news on the bull with the questionable libido.
Barely got a pic of Oops Baby running & bucking today.
0 x

Return to “Breeding / Calving Issues”