hip locked

Got a calving or breeding question? Get an answer.
Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Re: hip locked

Postby Son of Butch » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:07 am

Nite Hawk wrote:Howdy!
On Saturday my Piedmontese cow went into labor, and I checked that the feet were in the right position--hooves pointing down, so I knew it wasn't breech, so figured she has done this a couple times before so I walked off, and did some work around keeping an eye on her in the field..
I came back later, and she had the calf out to the hips, and normally once the front end is out the rest slides out not too much problems.
Well this one wasn't coming out.............
The bull I used on this cow was supposed to be good on heifers, and I have a heifer that is due with this same bull,
and she is as big as a "blimp", so I am concerned for her...

And good ideas if this heifer gets a hip stuck like the big cow?
any good ideas to unlock a slippery calf that is hip locked?
thanks

It seems you know what you are doing and will be on top of it.

So not really a tip, but more like common sense, if worried pen her in an area with access to a chute and/or means to
catch and restrain her. Hard to do anything with a slippery calf IF you can't get close enough to help a heifer.
0 x

Nite Hawk
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Nite Hawk » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:30 am

The calf was out to the pelvic, wasn't stuck at the head at all..
I must be living "under a rock" somewhere, cause I havent heard it called a "spanner" just a "calf pole puller", maybe cause I am north of the 49th parallel and live a bit back in the bush.. different slang..
The "pole puller" or what ever you want to call it is "U" shaped, with a pole and a winch on the pole. The "U" shape is pushed up tight against the cows rear end, and the chains from the winch attached to the calfs legs. the winch is tightened as the "U" pushes back against the cows rear end and the calf is pulled the opposite direction.. I hope that helps with a mental picture.. the winch is tightened more click by click, and usually something has to give..
As far as not being out in the barn during calving time, I have gone to a surveillance with a monitor next to my bed and I set my phone to wake me up every 2 hours.. That way unless there looks like a problem I don't have to go to the barn every 2 hours and walk around and then try to get back to sleep..
get a camera with a decent night vision, or even a video baby monitor.. helps with the exhaustion factor a lot...
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:47 pm

Silver wrote:Image

This is the only puller you need. That wide part at the end is the breechen. If it can't be pulled with this it's c-section time. This device allows a calf to be pulled properly rather than a straight on pull from a winch straight to a post.

thats what I got.. I got it after I saw the size of the first Limo calf on my first timers... had to use
1 x
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

Supa Dexta
GURU
GURU

Postby Supa Dexta » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:56 pm

No one else has heard it called a spanner because we are all wrong, not her.

Fetal extractor and calf puller are names that only us underlings use. Can't wait to buy a cow some day, I'm learning so much.
1 x

Silver
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Silver » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:50 pm

cowgirl8 wrote:Not if it's safer and easier in a chute. We do it exactly how our vet does it.

This puller does it's best work in the chute
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:59 pm

This is the only puller you need. That wide part at the end is the breechen. If it can't be pulled with this it's c-section time. This device allows a calf to be pulled properly rather than a straight on pull from a winch straight to a post.

Same one I have.
The only thing maybe flimsy about it is the strap.
But, it works, no post, no comealong, no tractor, no big bosomed gal needed.
(Won't break my heart if I never need it again tho)
2 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

Dave
GURU
GURU

Postby Dave » Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:13 pm

I have a Dr. Frank's. It works great but I do hope I never need it. I had a homemade one. It had a hand winch from a boat trailer for the power. A hard pull one time my hand slipped off the crank handle (imagine having slippery hands while pulling a calf). The dog didn't catch and the handle spun around and broke my thumb. I bought the Dr. Frank's right after that. Last seen when I sold the place that old homemade puller was sitting in a corner in the barn. I figured that was a good place for it.
1 x

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:14 pm

Silver wrote:
cowgirl8 wrote:Not if it's safer and easier in a chute. We do it exactly how our vet does it.

Is this how your vet pulls one? If have the cow in a chute why would you use this??? Basically it's to keep the cow from moving with hard pulls. They aren't going to move in a chute. That's why we only use it in the field.
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:41 pm

Good grief .....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:55 pm

Does anyone have a vet who uses one of these at his clinic?
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

Silver
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Silver » Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:04 pm

cowgirl8 wrote:
Silver wrote:

Is this how your vet pulls one? If have the cow in a chute why would you use this??? Basically it's to keep the cow from moving with hard pulls. They aren't going to move in a chute. That's why we only use it in the field.

No, that's not what they are for. Calves should not be pulled straight back. Lift the bar, jack to take tension, push down on the bar in time with the cow's pushes. So many more options when using the puller in the chute. And these are in fact what the vets use, although if I can't get it out then the vet can't either. Then it's c-section time, which we also used to do ourselves but it happens so rarely anymore we just let the vet do it.
2 x

Supa Dexta
GURU
GURU

Postby Supa Dexta » Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:52 pm

Yes, vets use pullers because thats the job they were designed for. You have no feeling with a winch, its straight line pull until something breaks. You modulate your pressure with the leverage of the pullers pole as mentioned, as well as arcing the calf up over the pelvic bones. Chute or not chute, the ratcheting is for taking up the slack, the pole is for applying force.

But as always you'll glaze over that fact and just want to argue you know best.

9 times out of 10 if the skull fits thru the pelvis, the rest will as well.
3 x

Allenw
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Allenw » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:11 pm

I bet the sun doesn't even come up in the east there.
0 x

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:43 pm

You have to wrench the bar down because the ratchet isn't strong enough. Nope. Pulled enough calves to know that its safely done with a come along.
I just can't see using a spanner on a standing cow. I know how hard it is to keep them fully standing. A cow starts to go down you've lost all your leverage. Spanner no longer worky. Honestly i can't believe no one uses a winch in a chute. If you haven't then you have no room to argue on knowledge on calf pulling.
0 x

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:50 pm

Watched our first vet break one of those trying to pull a calf. That device didn't impress me at all.
0 x
"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

Return to “Breeding / Calving Issues”