Bull Power

Got a calving or breeding question? Get an answer.
jehosofat
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Bull Power

Postby jehosofat » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:51 pm

Does anyone believe in just bull power anymore? Selective breeding based on matching a good bull with the averages for a group. Natural selection after that.

Is the cow business headed to AI only?
0 x

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Re: Bull Power

Postby Brute 23 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:04 pm

Although I welcome AI and recognize its purpose... its not an option for most people. Its too labor intensive for the some what passive cattle operator who has other jobs and does not live on the property.
1 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education" - Mark Twain

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:15 pm

I believe in bull power, I have other things to do that beats sticking my arm up a cows but. AI is expensive and not very beneficial for the commercial cattlemen. The drug and semen companies really push AI and for good reason.
2 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

sim.-ang.king
GURU
GURU

Postby sim.-ang.king » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:58 pm

Who would want a pasture without a good looking bull, or two, standing in it?

6 x
"Benign Neglect" -Dun

Boot Jack Bulls
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Boot Jack Bulls » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:05 pm

I use AI, but love having bulls around. Right now, I have 6 mature bulls, 5 yearling bulls, and 3 cows (my daughter's) on the place. Aside from this past weekend when the 3 cows were in heat, it is as quiet and relaxed around here as I could ask for!
2 x
Boot Jack Cattle LLC & Boot Jack Boers

ez14.
Rancher
Rancher

Postby ez14. » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:23 pm

Boot Jack Bulls wrote:I use AI, but love having bulls around. Right now, I have 6 mature bulls, 5 yearling bulls, and 3 cows (my daughter's) on the place. Aside from this past weekend when the 3 cows were in heat, it is as quiet and relaxed around here as I could ask for!

Are you sure you need that many bulls for 3 cows?? I'm thinking you have some bull fertility issues that need to be addressed!

:lol:
0 x

Boot Jack Bulls
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Boot Jack Bulls » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:29 pm

ez14. wrote:
Boot Jack Bulls wrote:I use AI, but love having bulls around. Right now, I have 6 mature bulls, 5 yearling bulls, and 3 cows (my daughter's) on the place. Aside from this past weekend when the 3 cows were in heat, it is as quiet and relaxed around here as I could ask for!

Are you sure you need that many bulls for 3 cows?? I'm thinking you have some bull fertility issues that need to be addressed!

:lol:

LOL! Don't tell my boys that! The really sad part is, I used the same one of them on all three females, so the other ones didn't get any lovin'! The rest of the big boys have to wait a bit until they get sent to work yet.
1 x
Boot Jack Cattle LLC & Boot Jack Boers

Silver
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Silver » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:32 pm

I don't care for keeping bulls, but I prefer to take advantage of their services and let mother nature do as she does. I remember Dad doing the AI thing when I was young, and it was a full time job. But at that time ('70's) Simmental was a rare breed in this area so if you wanted to go that direction it was a necessary evil. I think it may also depend on how many head you want to AI? But there are lots of top quality bulls available for purchase these days, every bit as good or better than what's in the catalogues (imho), so I figure to let them do what they're designed to do.
Would be nice not to have them around for the other 10 months of the year though!
1 x

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:05 am

100% bull power here.
1 x

Ky hills
GURU
GURU

Postby Ky hills » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:34 am

When I had a registered herd I tried to utilize AI at times, but always wanted to have a decent bull too. Now that I am mostly commercial I don't see any practicality for AI on them, although did AI them once a few years ago. Bulls can be a pain at times, but it is much easier for me to turn them out and let them work than to have to run the cows through the chute multiple times. I also think that for here we need a bull to clean up any way and why put that extra expense and time into it. I'm not against it as I see situations where it can work out.
1 x

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:38 am

jehosofat wrote:Is the cow business headed to AI only?

Not a chance.
Lab Grown Meat is the wave of the future, just as soon as they think of a catchier name than Fake Meat.
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:11 pm

it depends.. is your herd big enough that you can afford a full time AI person? Is it small enough that synching and doing it in a day works? Do you have a lot of other things to do at that time of year? Is the extra cost of labor and semen going to give you a decent ROI?

At this time of year I'm running around like a chicken with it's head cut off.. Having a bull that takes care of that work sure works for me!

Never had a bull with this guys determination.. no cow slips by unnoticed
1 x
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

Ebenezer
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Ebenezer » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:19 pm

The use of home raised bulls and home raised females allows twice the selection power to fix a type in a herd. Add in gestational programming when an outside bull is tried AI on a limited basis to create a breeding son or two and the pan does't tilt over enough to dump all of the water. AI is a status effort of the industry to promote more AI and more buying. If it was really about improvement they would only sell semen on proven bulls.
3 x

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby JMJ Farms » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:57 pm

Son of Butch wrote:
jehosofat wrote:Is the cow business headed to AI only?

Not a chance.
Lab Grown Meat is the wave of the future, just as soon as they think of a catchier name than Fake Meat.

Butch, I’m not sure that you’re wrong. I’m actually scared that you might be right. Who’d of thunk it? I really hope not though.

I’m strictly bull power right now. 4 bulls/100 cows. I want to venture over into AI. Not 100% but I’d like to run say the top 40-50 through the chute and AI them. Two problems. One, when it comes to AI I know about as much as I do about building a spaceship. I can learn, just need to find someone I can watch I guess. 2nd, as mentioned earlier it’s pretty labor intensive, in regards to time. But I see the benefits. I have a friend of mine who AI’ed last year and I could easily identify most of the AI calves over the natural service calves with no problem. Genetics work.
1 x
"You don't have to be a genius to be successful. Just surround yourself with smart people. And LISTEN to them" C.M.

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:27 pm

It will take 40 years for lab grown meat to catch on and be accepted......... but it's coming. :(
0 x

Return to “Breeding / Calving Issues”