Tricky Twin Mothering ?

Got a calving or breeding question? Get an answer.
Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Re: Tricky Twin Mothering ?

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:35 am

Most of mine have bred back fine - but if they didn't, that is one good excuse I allow them to slip into the next calving season.
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:06 pm

I think G creek should chime in.. he seems to be the twin expert, or at least after his season he ought to be!
0 x
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

Silver
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Silver » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:17 pm

I'm not an expert, but we did have 14 sets of twins this year. Of which, 21 calves were alive and healthy. In the case of live full sets with the exception of one we pulled one live calf off, got started on the bottle and sold immediately for anywhere from $400 to $500 each online or grafted onto a new mom. That was the smart move. As calving season was winding down I didn't do this with what turned out to be the last set of twins. Instead I left both on the mother (who has worlds of milk), and kept them together in a small pen for a couple of weeks. Then I turned her into a few acres with her calves for another couple of weeks. Things were good. So decided to turn them out with the bunch in a few hundred acres, and it still went well. When the time came to move the herd to big pasture (lots of forest, a couple hundred acres of tame pasture) it didn't take long for one of the twins to get separated. The thing is I should have known better, I've tried this many times over the years and seldom does it work for me. Once in awhile but not often enough to continue to play the odds. Next time......
0 x

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:38 pm

Twins mother spent most of the day trying to steal an additional calf... Apparently she can count but the pulled calf was not keeping up. She settled down and mothered up with the remaining twin tonight.

Just fed the pulled calf. Seems much happier after being fed twice today. I think he would have ended up as eagle food out in the pasture.
2 x
Stocker Steve

Return to “Breeding / Calving Issues”