Connealy Concord

Got a calving or breeding question? Get an answer.
Tjm1023
Beginner
Beginner

Connealy Concord

Postby Tjm1023 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:31 pm

Anyone here used Concord for replacement heifers, if so how’s their phenotype and performance, thanks.
0 x

mncowboy
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Re: Connealy Concord

Postby mncowboy » Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:18 am

0 x
People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. - George Orwell

Luckiamute
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Luckiamute » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:01 pm

I have four Connealy Concord heifers on the ground, all purebred. They were born in March so they are only three months old, but I'm optimistic they will make good replacements. They were born problem-free, got up quickly and nursed fast. They seem docile, have good length of body, etc. I will try to post some photos within the next few days (I have had trouble figuring out how to post photos on this site). I used Concord on a heifer and a cow this spring and it appears they have conceived, so I'll have two more coming next year. Haven't heard much from ST Genetics, or anyone for that matter, on how Concord calves are doing. Would love to get some feedback from breeders who have used him.
0 x

Luckiamute
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Luckiamute » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:05 pm

Forgot to note that Concord is relatively unproven and probably doesn't have many females in production yet. I think he turns 3 or 4 years old in July. Haven't seen any Concord females for sale at any regional events in my neck of the woods.
0 x

Tjm1023
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Tjm1023 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:33 pm

Thanks, pictures would be great if you can get some. I live in northwest Wyoming so I’m trying to lower my grazing input without sacrificing performance and carcass quality and I see his marbling isn’t the best but I think I can breed that into my calves I’m hoping. Also debating on using PA fortitude for replacement heifers so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
0 x

Luckiamute
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Luckiamute » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:15 pm

I've also used PA Fortitude 2500 lightly and really like his calves, but all I have gotten from his matings are bull calves that were castrated for steers and locker beef. Very docile and grew well. I do know of a ranch here in Oregon that used Fortitude in their 2016 breeding season and sold several yearling and long yearling heifers out of him. They liked what they had seen up to that point and were going to use him again this year.
0 x

Tjm1023
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Tjm1023 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:01 am

Thanks for the help Luckiamute, would you be willing to send pictures of your heifers via email to Travis.midway@yahoo.com when you get time?
0 x

Luckiamute
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Luckiamute » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:39 pm

Tjm1023 wrote:Thanks for the help Luckiamute, would you be willing to send pictures of your heifers via email to Travis.midway@yahoo.com when you get time?

I haven't forgotten your request for the photos. Our email account provided through our Internet provider has been down for the past couple of days. I hope it is back up in the next day or so and I will get the photos off to you.
0 x

Return to “Breeding / Calving Issues”