Culling Poor Hair Coat Heifers ?

Got a calving or breeding question? Get an answer.
Angus Rocks
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: Culling Poor Hair Coat Heifers ?

Postby Angus Rocks » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:39 pm

Texas bred are you saying that you would rather spend money on feed, wormers, and medicines rather then genetics that will do the job?

Have read discussions that some think that hair coat depends how much muscling a critter has
0 x

NEFarmwife
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby NEFarmwife » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:10 am

Our calving intervals wouldn’t suggest there is a problem with poor coat heifers. But for what it’s worth, we sync them and AI. If they don’t stick to AI, our bull gets them the next heat.

I’ll be mindful of this suggestion when we breed again in spring and take note, so I can speak with more accuracy.
0 x

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:07 am

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:Most ALL my cattle still have splotchie winter hair. My cattle grow lots of hair and takes quite a while for them to shed out. I have not and never would cull on hair coat. I would not have a herd left!!!

Coats on two year olds look good now, but still a few yearlings with alot of redish fuzz. They tend to be larger, and have a higher percentage of simi. So have to be careful not to discriminate against tht breed :cowboy:
1 x
Stocker Steve

Dsteim
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Dsteim » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:26 pm

I read an article about that. I can't remember if it was by Jan Bonsma or one of his students. I can't find the article or I'd link it. I think its a fairly heritable trait, but I don't think its typically a criteria for replacements. I read the article a while back but if I'm remembering correctly how the calf sheds her first winter coat is an indicator for fertility.
0 x

Ebenezer
GURU
GURU

Postby Ebenezer » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:33 pm

Dsteim wrote:I read an article about that. I can't remember if it was by Jan Bonsma or one of his students. I can't find the article or I'd link it. I think its a fairly heritable trait, but I don't think its typically a criteria for replacements. I read the article a while back but if I'm remembering correctly how the calf sheds her first winter coat is an indicator for fertility.

Bonsma was big on early shedding and like a sheen.
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:13 am

Angus Rocks wrote:Texas bred are you saying that you would rather spend money on feed, wormers, and medicines rather then genetics that will do the job?

Have read discussions that some think that hair coat depends how much muscling a critter has

Angus they get nothing that the rest of the cattle dont' get so there is no added expense. I think I also said the occasional cow that does not shed also raises a very good calf. I refuse to breed for "short shiny hair". I'll let you have that one. ;-)
1 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

elkwc
GURU
GURU

Postby elkwc » Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:12 pm

TexasBred wrote:
Angus Rocks wrote:Texas bred are you saying that you would rather spend money on feed, wormers, and medicines rather then genetics that will do the job?

Angus they get nothing that the rest of the cattle dont' get so there is no added expense. I think I also said the occasional cow that does not shed also raises a very good calf. I refuse to breed for "short shiny hair". I'll let you have that one. ;-)

I'm with you on that Texas Bred. We have an old cow that will likely go this fall. She is 15-16 y/o. Her coat is always a little rough. When I first started going down there I thought she is one to cull. That was 5 years ago. She has raised and weaned 5 calves that have been at the top of the crop every year. After the 2nd year I decided she could stay as long as she kept bringing in the scale mashers. We have shiny coated cows that bring in calves 50 lbs lighter.
2 x

shaz
GURU
GURU

Postby shaz » Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:43 pm

Greg Judy said "a rough coat cow is not performing in it's environment". I wonder if the buyers at the sale barn are really biased against it?
0 x
"The Pope? How many divisions does he have?" Joseph Stalin

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:12 pm

shaz wrote:Greg Judy said "a rough coat cow is not performing in it's environment". I wonder if the buyers at the sale barn are really biased against it?

Not the calf buyers. Putting them on a feedlot ration is usually a cure.
0 x
Stocker Steve

Ebenezer
GURU
GURU

Postby Ebenezer » Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:21 pm

And a fluffy calf looks fatter. Like the show folks know. Is it hair or is it muscle? Only the fitter know! :tiphat:
1 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:50 pm

Ebenezer wrote:And a fluffy calf looks fatter. Like the show folks know. Is it hair or is it muscle? Only the fitter know! :tiphat:

Never buy calves in the winter. :lol: :lol:
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

greatgerts
GURU
GURU

Postby greatgerts » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:19 am

Ebenezer wrote:And a fluffy calf looks fatter. Like the show folks know. Is it hair or is it muscle? Only the fitter know! :tiphat:

Go watch them at the wash rack. That can help you determine if it is hair or muscle.
1 x

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:27 am

greatgerts wrote:

Go watch them at the wash rack. That can help you determine if it is hair or muscle.

Why should I have to? The judging officials don't and they're paid to do the placings.
0 x

greatgerts
GURU
GURU

Postby greatgerts » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:30 am

Son of Butch wrote:
greatgerts wrote:

Why should I have to? The judging officials don't and they're paid to do the placings.

One reason that we show slick haired. You can't hide behind the hair.
0 x

Ebenezer
GURU
GURU

Postby Ebenezer » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:48 pm

greatgerts wrote:

Like a fellow told me one time: two worst things that ever happened to American agriculture: the moldboard plow and livestock shows. :shock:
0 x

Return to “Breeding / Calving Issues”