calf behavior

Got a calving or breeding question? Get an answer.
knowknews
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: calf behavior

Postby knowknews » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:36 am

Here are a series of how she grazes. LOL We had fed her bottle and she went out to the yard.

[img][IMG]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y220/knoweknews/Barn%20Yard%20In%20Progress/0805090909.jpg[/img]Image

Image[/img]
0 x
Those who beat their swords into plowshares usually end up plowing for those who kept their swords -Benjamin Franklin

knowknews
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby knowknews » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:59 am

Yea, I put her on a halter today. It went better. I fed her bottle in her stall. I used to scratch her head while she was taking her bottle, but no more!! She follows us out of barn to her yard after bottle, but today I waited after her bottle till she settled down and took her out with the halter (which she hates). When we get the big door on rollers, she will be able to come and go from her stall when she pleases. In the evening, we bring her and the goats in. The goats run in right to the calf's bucket and eat her food; which I don't care now because I see it gets moldy if it sits too long.

When they shared a stall, she learned to eat out of the bucket. She wont do it right after the bottle; last night, I waited until she settled down after bottle and went in stall to scoop up her grain and let it "sift" back into the bucket. After she saw that, she went right over and started to eat her grain. I left right away so I don't know how much she ate at that time, but believe she knows where it is if she wants more later. I also don't know how much she should eat per day so I have waste to give to the goats. Thanks for the advice. I sure don't want a cow that is dangerous to be around and it be my fault.

Does she look ok? Except for the hair loss which is growing back.
0 x
Those who beat their swords into plowshares usually end up plowing for those who kept their swords -Benjamin Franklin

chippie
GURU
GURU

Postby chippie » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:25 am

Just give her a handful of grain at this point. That, access to water and her twice a day bottle should be enough for a while. You don't want her to get too heavy or grow too fast because of her front legs.

She may or may not straighten out. Good luck with her. She is a cutie.
0 x
What is this hand basket and where are we going?

1fairytale1debi
Beginner
Beginner

Postby 1fairytale1debi » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:56 pm

This behavior will not go away. Research bottle fed calves aggressive.
0 x

Return to “Breeding / Calving Issues”