Heifer in calf

Got a calving or breeding question? Get an answer.
lithuanian farmer
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Heifer in calf

Postby lithuanian farmer » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:00 am

Here's an update of photos.
Here's the cow with her March born heifer.
And here's cow's first calf- heifer. She's 24 months old, due to calve around Christmas- New Year time.
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:48 pm

that 24 month old heifer looks really stocky!
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

HDRider
GURU
GURU

Postby HDRider » Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:56 pm

Nesikep wrote:that 24 month old heifer looks really stocky!

I like her.
0 x
bball wrote: "The juice wasn't worth the squeeze."
Dun said, "You gotta be flexible. Do whatever you have to do for the best results within your limitations."

lithuanian farmer
Rancher
Rancher

Postby lithuanian farmer » Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:41 am

Finally the heifer has calved. Yesterday in the afternoon. Calved very easily and quickly, no assistance. Has a heifer calf. Calved at 29months age. She has much bigger udder than her dam.
0 x

quartermeter
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby quartermeter » Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:51 am

And that was the silver calf from the 15 mo. Old heifer you started this post with? She's a big cow. How's her mother doing?
0 x

lithuanian farmer
Rancher
Rancher

Postby lithuanian farmer » Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:48 pm

quartermeter wrote:And that was the silver calf from the 15 mo. Old heifer you started this post with? She's a big cow. How's her mother doing?

Yes. She's that 15mo heifer's first calf. Has grown into a medium size 1st calver, very friendly, calm, and the best thing is that despite her very small birth weight she has delivered a normal size calf very easily.
Her dam now is waiting for the 3rd calf, in March, I guess. Isn't very small, would say a medium size cow, ~1300lbs. Her 2nd calf- heifer, is growing very well, better than some other her age heifers and is very friendly too. I agreed with parents that heifer will be mine. Now sometimes joke about the cow that she's very productive, because her age half sisters have weaned their first calves, while this girl bacame the grandma. :)
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:59 pm

She turned out alright!
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

lithuanian farmer
Rancher
Rancher

Postby lithuanian farmer » Fri Jan 01, 2016 6:53 am

0 x

lithuanian farmer
Rancher
Rancher

Postby lithuanian farmer » Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:02 pm

Forgot to post an update. But here it is. The cow, the main star of this thread, had her 3rd calf on the Easter morning. I guess at ~5-6am. This time she had a bull calf. Found her and a calf suckling at 7am. She is a medium size cow now. Her udder got abit bigger. Don't plan to sell her soon as she calves on her own and her calves are friendly, and grows good.

Her 1st daughter's heifer is growing well and might be a replacement. The 2nd daughter is 12 months old now and, if she'll stay healthy, will be bred by our new Limousine bull in winter. Haven't expected, but this is a very easy calving line. :) They even have abit of BB blood as the elder cow's granddam was BBxdairy cow.
0 x

Ol' 243
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Ol' 243 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:29 pm

I love these time lapse threads and getting to see the results a couple years later.
0 x

lithuanian farmer
Rancher
Rancher

Postby lithuanian farmer » Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:35 pm

Ol' 243 wrote:I love these time lapse threads and getting to see the results a couple years later.

Me too. I also like to look at all photos I've from the past few years. It's very interesting to see how our cattle looked in the past, how cows looked as a calves, how their all calves looked at the different age and etc.
Don't plan to leave this thread for now. :)
0 x

lithuanian farmer
Rancher
Rancher

Postby lithuanian farmer » Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:39 am

The bull calf is growing very well, even better than I'd expect. In photos he's 3weeks old.
His dam is standing next to him.
Have weighted last year born heifers and this cow's heifer isn't the eldest from the group, but she is the heaviest from all, except two, which are 1.5 and 4 months elder.
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:33 am

He looks nice and thick
0 x

lithuanian farmer
Rancher
Rancher

Postby lithuanian farmer » Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:41 am

Nesikep wrote:He looks nice and thick

Haven't expected something like that from him. His dam is not meaty at all. He's the best looking calf from her so far.
She's doing the better job than some better looking cows, so hopefully she will be able to have much more calves. Her both daughters are replacements.
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:49 am

Its funny how that works sometimes.. My first cow was a bonerack,.. Her daughters were mostly big and well filled out, and her granddaughters/sons were really meaty.. much more so than some from better built and meatier cows
0 x

Return to “Breeding / Calving Issues”