Working pen designing

Backgrounding & feeding questions.
smoothmule
Cowhand
Cowhand

Working pen designing

Postby smoothmule » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:19 pm

We have a 70 by 100 lot in front of the barn that I plan to put a working pen in. We only have a few cows but I would like to avoid having to load them up to take them all to my sons to be worked.

I would like a basic design inside the larger lot to just run them through for basics like shots etc. but also I plan to have a squeeze chute set up so I can do AI later.

The 70 by 100 pen is welded pipe rail, 5 foot on the backside, a little less on the front by the yard. I figure on using the backside of the pen to attach to. We generally have 6-8 cows with calves to work. And a good welder/fence guy here to make whatever I want done but he's not designed one of these before.

Question- better to design and build? Or just buy a set up?

Thanks

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Working pen designing

Postby dun » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:22 pm

Whatever you do, do a temp setup first and work them through. Then after you improve it, and you most likely will, run them through again. Keep doing that till you come up with something that you can;t figure out how to do better. Then make it permanent
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:32 pm

Sometimes, I think there should be a section dedicated only to working pen threads..or at least a sticky admin can move em all to. I think every one of us has started one at some time or another.
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

TennesseeTuxedo
GURU
GURU

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:41 pm

greybeard wrote:Sometimes, I think there should be a section dedicated only to working pen threads..or at least a sticky admin can move em all to. I think every one of us has started one at some time or another.

That's a good idea.
The more I read here the less I know.

shaz
GURU
GURU

Postby shaz » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:33 pm

Buying a sweep tub and alley is probably worth doing. The rest you'll want to play around with some.

Remember - the cows need to get used to the setup. Just because it's awkward at first doesn't mean your design is bad.
Grab the bull by the horns.....then what are you supposed to do?

garyws
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby garyws » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:33 pm

I too have a small operation and the ultra-small contraption I use to catch/vaccinate simply consists of a squeeze chute, a 12ft alley, and a semi-circular sweep. All these are Preifert which are fastened together with chains to allow reconfiguration as needed. Works for me! :D

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:21 pm

dun wrote:Whatever you do, do a temp setup first and work them through. Then after you improve it, and you most likely will, run them through again. Keep doing that till you come up with something that you can;t figure out how to do better. Then make it permanent

This is the best advice given on anything this month.
The more I work the luckier I get...TexasBred

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:46 pm

You want to lay it out on paper and really think over it is a safe pen.
Lay it out with twine look long and hard before you put down a permanent pen.
If you don't and build something you will end up rebuilding it three times like I did till I got it right for a one man operation.
I am the NRA
Brimmer Pimp

kickinbull
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby kickinbull » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:09 pm

I recently invited county extension agent to come out to give me some ideas on sorting working and loading cattle. We already do this but I was looking to fine tune som trouble areas. He gave me two different options both being little to no cost. Cement for posts was it. I am recovering from health issues but as soon as possible I'll be fixing it up.

ddd75
Rancher
Rancher

Postby ddd75 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:21 am

another vote for a tub / alley

you can getg a tarter for like 2500 fully sheeted.. just sell if it you want to upgrade to something heavier and you'll get all your money back usually.

Return to “Feedyard Board”