Distillers syrup... backgrounding steers

Backgrounding & feeding questions.
kentuckian
Cowhand
Cowhand

Distillers syrup... backgrounding steers

Postby kentuckian » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:32 am

Bought a couple totes of distillers syrup from a friend to feed to about 20 newly acquired 600 pound steers. They have free choice hay, free choice syrup, and hand fed twice a day. Right off the truck last Monday night they ran right to the syrup tank and started licking. The rest of the week they never touched it. They will run you over to get to feed, and health has been perfect. I was worried about over consumption at first, but now I'm worried they won't ever eat it. Monday will be a week they have had the syrup in front of them, how long normally does it take new calves to start eating a noticeable amount? The syrup comes from a local whiskey distillery, so I'm sure it's different stuff than what comes from an ethanol plant. Thanks in advance
0 x

ddd75
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Distillers syrup... backgrounding steers

Postby ddd75 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:54 am

neighbor had that same syrup out for his herd.. they would stand there and lick it all day. He had those lick tanks with the spinning wheels. not sure why they aren't consuming it.. is it just out in the sun exposed?
0 x

kentuckian
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby kentuckian » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:09 am

Yes, I've just got it out in a 150 gallon water tank.. I take a stick and agitate it every time I'm out there. I figured by now they would be more than taken off on it
0 x

ddd75
Rancher
Rancher

Postby ddd75 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:40 am

kentuckian wrote:Yes, I've just got it out in a 150 gallon water tank.. I take a stick and agitate it every time I'm out there. I figured by now they would be more than taken off on it

i'm not an expert on it at all, but I know it can spoil. My neighbors spoiled somehow and they wouldn't touch it. smelled bad.
0 x

kentuckian
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby kentuckian » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:00 pm

I've thought about that as well.. mine still smells like it did when I got it, but I may have to find someone local who has more experience with it to tell me if it's spoiled or not.
0 x

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:30 pm

They won't hit syrup much in hot weather ,
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

kentuckian
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby kentuckian » Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:50 pm

Gotcha, wish they would take off on it. I can get I for free.. literally.
0 x

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:57 pm

kentuckian wrote:Gotcha, wish they would take off on it. I can get I for free.. literally.

If it's in totes it should keep till winter
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Postby wbvs58 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:33 pm

kentuckian wrote:Gotcha, wish they would take off on it. I can get I for free.. literally.

That's probably the reason, always a catch when something is free.

Ken
0 x

kentuckian
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby kentuckian » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:03 pm

I took a sample of it to a friend that feeds it to get his thoughts. He said it should be good to go. He told me to give them some more time or borrow his mixer and mix wheat hay with the syrup, we will see how this goes.
0 x

BK9954
GURU
GURU

Postby BK9954 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:08 pm

Is this syrup the spent wash from the distillery? I have one offering it to me. Also can you feed this and the distillers grain at the same time.
0 x
"Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it" Winston Churchill

kentuckian
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby kentuckian » Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:44 pm

I believe so, after a little while the calves started eating more and more of it. When they finally ate all that was in front of them I took a couple totes and bought some fresh that was still hot from the distillery. They are eating a lot more of it now. I'm assuming about 2 gallons per head per day. Free choice hay and I'm still bucket feeding them about 4 pounds per head per day of grain. So I'm assuming they can have distillers grain with the syrup, in limited amounts im sure.
0 x

BK9954
GURU
GURU

Postby BK9954 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:16 pm

kentuckian wrote:I believe so, after a little while the calves started eating more and more of it. When they finally ate all that was in front of them I took a couple totes and bought some fresh that was still hot from the distillery. They are eating a lot more of it now. I'm assuming about 2 gallons per head per day. Free choice hay and I'm still bucket feeding them about 4 pounds per head per day of grain. So I'm assuming they can have distillers grain with the syrup, in limited amounts im sure.

What age calves and is it working?
0 x
"Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it" Winston Churchill

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:20 pm

We have a small local distillery opening in our county and I know the owners pretty well. I wonder if I need to try and strike a deal for the byproducts?
0 x
The more I read here the less I know.

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:20 pm

Double post.
0 x
The more I read here the less I know.

Return to “Feedyard Board”