CPC Feeds

Backgrounding & feeding questions.
bse
GURU
GURU

Re: CPC Feeds

Postby bse » Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:51 pm

I know it matters if your moving a load of cattle or even one very far, I said I don't know if mine crapped peed of whatever, but what I do know is what they weighed several different times, same scales same place same everything, my bulls were eating 12.5 lbs a day at the end, I don't have to tell myself anything, I can read a scale and even add, subtract and figure adg. I don't have a PhD in feed stuffs maybe you do, but for me and I'm the only one I can speak for, it did it. Just over 4lb a day..
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:33 pm

4lbs a day weight gain :???: :???: :???:
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

Jacob
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Jacob » Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:04 am

Well I am told feeding at 1% of body weight we should expect 2lbs of gain per day. However I also agree genetics play a big role is ADG so we will see if any of them hit that 4lbs a day. We just weighed all the bulls so I will have a really good idea what they are doing once I weigh them again in a month or so.
0 x
Jacob Gilmore
www.Gizmoangus.com

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:47 am

bse wrote:I know it matters if your moving a load of cattle or even one very far, I said I don't know if mine crapped peed of whatever, but what I do know is what they weighed several different times, same scales same place same everything, my bulls were eating 12.5 lbs a day at the end, I don't have to tell myself anything, I can read a scale and even add, subtract and figure adg. I don't have a PhD in feed stuffs maybe you do, but for me and I'm the only one I can speak for, it did it. Just over 4lb a day..

That's all that matter buddy. Buy some really good feed and you might get a 1:1 conversion. :shock:

Jacob 2 lbs. sounds much more in line. BTW excellent website. :nod:
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

tylerh87
Beginner
Beginner

Postby tylerh87 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:52 pm

For clarification, I weighed them at the end of the day after they had eaten all day. This could have made a difference in the weight. My previous wait was around noon. Also, this feeds TDN is 68%. And yes, my scales get calibrated and I do a test weight prior to each weighing.
0 x

bse
GURU
GURU

Postby bse » Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:37 pm

I was really done with this, because I know how mine performed, they may never again, time will tell.
If my salesman told me 2lb a day id laugh him off the place, now I'm not a grass fed operation so I used Google. Expected weight gain for cattle on grass, the first 2 things say 2lb a day on grass so why would I feed if thats all there telling me to expect the same 2lb.
If you wean in May at 650lb and want that bull at 1350 to use on cows, it would take another year almost to have him ready to go, that would never work for me, they have to be ready to go the 1st of Dec.
Mine have all the grass and hay they want, not a feedlot situation.
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:05 pm

The feed conversion you guys are getting is making feed lots look like stooges. They'd die for a lb. of gain out of every two pounds of feed.
0 x

tom4018
GURU
GURU

Postby tom4018 » Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:29 pm

TexasBred wrote:The feed conversion you guys are getting is making feed lots look like stooges. They'd die for a lb. of gain out of every two pounds of feed.

I was always told to figure 6 or 7 pounds to 1 pound gain. Have seen some do better but think lots of factors affect it. My neighbor and we buy light weight calves and about the best we have seen is 5 to 1.

I have some replacement heifers now that I don't want to get over conditioned but just to grow. Average weight 800# and from first weekend of November to last weekend they average 1.4# getting hay, less than 1% body weight of feed and a protein tub.

Maybe I am doing it wrong, guess my gains are bad. I know they are not being feed for slaughter either.
0 x

bse
GURU
GURU

Postby bse » Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:58 pm

T B you need to go back and look at what I said, my bulls get 12.5lbs a day, Thats only 30% conversion,for 4lbs of gain, if you take out the 2lb there gonna gain on grass anyway, its only 15% conversion, if they can't gain that, theres no place for them here, and I'd certainly agree its a sorry A-- feed. But it does what I need it to do so I use it.
My heifers I said they just get feed to keep them coming to me, not trying to do anything with them, go back and read the second post in this thread, im only speaking for me.
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:04 pm

tom4018 wrote:
TexasBred wrote:The feed conversion you guys are getting is making feed lots look like stooges. They'd die for a lb. of gain out of every two pounds of feed.

I was always told to figure 6 or 7 pounds to 1 pound gain. Have seen some do better but think lots of factors affect it. My neighbor and we buy light weight calves and about the best we have seen is 5 to 1.

I have some replacement heifers now that I don't want to get over conditioned but just to grow. Average weight 800# and from first weekend of November to last weekend they average 1.4# getting hay, less than 1% body weight of feed and a protein tub.

Maybe I am doing it wrong, guess my gains are bad. I know they are not being feed for slaughter either.

Tom that is much more in line across the industry. You can get a bit more with a much more expensive feed but not usually worth the extra cost.
0 x

Ojp6
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Ojp6 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:09 pm

Their Stocker One feed is pretty popular with some of the guys who feed calves down there. CPC feeds around 50,000 head of calves the same feeds they sell. I know a few people that have fed their feed to stocker calves and their cattle have done surprisingly well on it. One man told me he could have another company make him pretty much the exact same feed he was getting from CPC but his calves wouldn't gain as good. He could never figure out why.
0 x
If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking is freedom - Dwight Eisenhower

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:52 pm

Ojp6 wrote:Their Stocker One feed is pretty popular with some of the guys who feed calves down there. CPC feeds around 50,000 head of calves the same feeds they sell. I know a few people that have fed their feed to stocker calves and their cattle have done surprisingly well on it. One man told me he could have another company make him pretty much the exact same feed he was getting from CPC but his calves wouldn't gain as good. He could never figure out why.

You can bet your a$$ they're not feeding their calves what you guys listed on here. They may say they are but nobody would feed that to 50,000 head of calves and expect good gain. It's just not there without feeding two or three times normal amount. Low energy and low digestibility just doesn't make for great weight gain.
0 x

Ojp6
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Ojp6 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:10 pm

I don't know if they change it for their own calves, I have no reason to defend them, they are competition for me on oddball calves when I'm buying. At least 50% of the calves they feed are oddball or thin calves. They give every sale barn in KY and TN that I've been to an order for oddball calves if the price is right. All I can tell you is hat they have calves spread all over south central KY as most of their calves are fed by other people and the people that feed them are paid for the gain.
0 x
If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking is freedom - Dwight Eisenhower

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:36 am

Ojp6 wrote:I don't know if they change it for their own calves, I have no reason to defend them, they are competition for me on oddball calves when I'm buying. At least 50% of the calves they feed are oddball or thin calves. They give every sale barn in KY and TN that I've been to an order for oddball calves if the price is right. All I can tell you is hat they have calves spread all over south central KY as most of their calves are fed by other people and the people that feed them are paid for the gain.

"Compensatory Gain".
0 x

a7 livestock
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby a7 livestock » Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:52 pm

denvermartinfarms wrote:I feed about 6 ton a week right now of this mix, 30% soy hull pellets, 30% DDG, 30% corn chops and 10% cottonseed hulls. Best thing I've ever fed.

whats this costing you a ton? what are you feeding it to? what type of gains have you been getting ?
0 x

Return to “Feedyard Board”