Brewers grain

Backgrounding & feeding questions.
skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Brewers grain

Postby skyhightree1 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:45 pm

TexasBred wrote:
5S Cattle wrote:Btw what's the shelf life of this stuff? I'm expecting it to ferment/rot

It's already fermented. It might sour a little bit and grow a little mold but never had a problem with it. Use to feed truckloads to dairy cows every week and it would always be getting molded near the end.

Yep but summer is the absolute worst
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

5S Cattle
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby 5S Cattle » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:57 pm

Where can I get this tested at? Anybody got a number to TAMU?
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:25 am

5S Cattle wrote:Where can I get this tested at? Anybody got a number to TAMU?

Don't know if they do testing for individuals or not. Check out dairyone.com . One of the best labs in the country and cheap.
0 x
“If it were up to me, I would put in jail every sandal-wearing, scruffy-bearded weirdo who burns the American flag.....“But I am not king.”....Supreme Court Justice Scalia

5S Cattle
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby 5S Cattle » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:16 am

TexasBred wrote:

Don't know if they do testing for individuals or not. Check out dairyone.com . One of the best labs in the country and cheap.

Thanks TB
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:29 am

I would like to add not every beer recipe is the same so that test is just that a test of that batch. There is many ingredients that go into different beers. Keep that in mind.
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

5S Cattle
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby 5S Cattle » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:11 pm

skyhightree1 wrote:

I would like to add not every beer recipe is the same so that test is just that a test of that batch. There is many ingredients that go into different beers. Keep that in mind.

I thought about that but figured it would be close? You think I'm spinning my wheels tryin to get it tested?
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:24 pm

skyhightree1 wrote:

Skyhightree <--------- The official beer tester. :lol: :lol: :hide: Funny you would say that. When we use to feed it, the WBG from Budweiser in Houston would test higher than the Miller from Ft. Worth and have about half the moisture content.

S5 a test is never a bad thing if only to satisfy your curiosity and give you a baseline to work around.
0 x
“If it were up to me, I would put in jail every sandal-wearing, scruffy-bearded weirdo who burns the American flag.....“But I am not king.”....Supreme Court Justice Scalia

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:31 pm

5S Cattle wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:

I thought about that but figured it would be close? You think I'm spinning my wheels tryin to get it tested?

I personally wouldn't be worrying about the testing. My test was cattle conditioning.

TexasBred wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:

Skyhightree <--------- The official beer tester. :lol: :lol: :hide: Funny you would say that. When we use to feed it, the WBG from Budweiser in Houston would test higher than the Miller from Ft. Worth and have about half the moisture content.

S5 a test is never a bad thing if only to satisfy your curiosity and give you a baseline to work around.

I have learned a few things about beer testing :lol2: The brewers grain from the Budweiser that I use to buy was a lot dryer I think they press it or something. I never tested it though but when I was ordering they gave me a generic test report.
0 x

5S Cattle
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby 5S Cattle » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:10 pm

FYI my vet said don't feed any that's starting to mold to anything pregnant. So I shovel the moldy part to the open heifers I'm feeding up and then feed the "clean" to heifers w calves or on final trimester
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:01 pm

5S Cattle wrote:FYI my vet said don't feed any that's starting to mold to anything pregnant. So I shovel the moldy part to the open heifers I'm feeding up and then feed the "clean" to heifers w calves or on final trimester

Fed it to 400 pregnant dairy cows everyday with no problems. It wasn't always molded but most days it was.
0 x

5S Cattle
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby 5S Cattle » Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:15 pm

TexasBred wrote:
5S Cattle wrote:FYI my vet said don't feed any that's starting to mold to anything pregnant. So I shovel the moldy part to the open heifers I'm feeding up and then feed the "clean" to heifers w calves or on final trimester

Fed it to 400 pregnant dairy cows everyday with no problems. It wasn't always molded but most days it was.

What part of Texas are you in?
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:24 pm

5S Cattle wrote:
TexasBred wrote:

Central Texas west of Waco.
0 x

5S Cattle
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby 5S Cattle » Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:41 pm

TexasBred wrote:
5S Cattle wrote:
TexasBred wrote:Fed it to 400 pregnant dairy cows everyday with no problems. It wasn't always molded but most days it was.

Central Texas west of Waco.

10-4. Ain't far from you, just curious as to the difference in climate
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:53 pm

You may have a bit more humidity than us but brewers grain will mold in just about any climate after a few days. It's harmless but may be a bit less palatable if you're feeding WBG only. We mixed it in a TMR with other feeds and roughages.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:45 pm

TexasBred wrote:You may have a bit more humidity than us but brewers grain will mold in just about any climate after a few days. It's harmless but may be a bit less palatable if you're feeding WBG only. We mixed it in a TMR with other feeds and roughages.

I probably have the most humidity out of us and I feed whatever's in the pile no pregnancy issues.. Like TB said it will mold easily.
0 x

Return to “Feedyard Board”