Brewers grain

Backgrounding & feeding questions.
gizmom
GURU
GURU

Re: Brewers grain

Postby gizmom » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:02 pm

Sky

Wanna bet on having the highest humidity lol! We have been feeding it for several years. The boss decided that next year he is going to top dress it prior to breeding. We only feed the two and three year old group and he feels right after calving and getting ready to breed they need a bit more energy. Overall we love the product, labor intensive but free is hard to beat. The cattle love it. We sent a sample to Auburn and had it tested, but I don't have the results here at the house.

Gizmom
0 x
Respect give it to get it!

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:12 pm

gizmom wrote:Sky

Wanna bet on having the highest humidity lol! We have been feeding it for several years. The boss decided that next year he is going to top dress it prior to breeding. We only feed the two and three year old group and he feels right after calving and getting ready to breed they need a bit more energy. Overall we love the product, labor intensive but free is hard to beat. The cattle love it. We sent a sample to Auburn and had it tested, but I don't have the results here at the house.

Gizmom

Lol you may have me beat in humidity department. I mix mine with ddg when I feel like being nice and spending money. I can see big difference in my cattle since I have unlimited supply of it. I have fed 1/3 of hay I usually feed too.
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Fri May 05, 2017 4:12 pm

5S Cattle wrote:I'm sure there are 100 different threads on this. But I can't find them. Basic guidelines for feeding this? Does and donts? Going to get it tested, but is there a general nutritional value?
Mix it with something? I'm picking up 2000lb tomorrow and just seein how everyone else does it.
Thanks in advance!

Hows the feeding going ?

0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

5S Cattle
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby 5S Cattle » Mon May 08, 2017 9:45 am

I haven't fed it in a month sky, honestly it's a pain for me to mess with. And it stinks up the barn yard haha. I may run and get some this week. Have some first calf heifers that are getting a little drug down.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Mon May 08, 2017 10:23 am

5S Cattle wrote:I haven't fed it in a month sky, honestly it's a pain for me to mess with. And it stinks up the barn yard haha. I may run and get some this week. Have some first calf heifers that are getting a little drug down.

It can be a pain but a dump trailer or dump truck changes things. Yea it does get smelly but I tell ya what I can deal with the smell and the benefits of using it vs not using it.
0 x

5S Cattle
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby 5S Cattle » Mon May 08, 2017 1:03 pm

skyhightree1 wrote:
5S Cattle wrote:I haven't fed it in a month sky, honestly it's a pain for me to mess with. And it stinks up the barn yard haha. I may run and get some this week. Have some first calf heifers that are getting a little drug down.

It can be a pain but a dump trailer or dump truck changes things. Yea it does get smelly but I tell ya what I can deal with the smell and the benefits of using it vs not using it.

I feed out of this chemical container I had steam cleaned.

That's a bag the feed store gets their salt in, keeps the feed from getting clogged up in the drain.
So I feed it with a snow shovel into troughs, or straight onto the ground. It's not bad but I haven't needed to do it up til now. Ever fed calves out on it?
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Mon May 08, 2017 1:44 pm

5S Cattle wrote:

I feed out of this chemical container I had steam cleaned.

That's a bag the feed store gets their salt in, keeps the feed from getting clogged up in the drain.
So I feed it with a snow shovel into troughs, or straight onto the ground. It's not bad but I haven't needed to do it up til now. Ever fed calves out on it?[/quote]

Yes sir that pic above is a 3 month old calf... I have fed out some till slaughter for folks on it as well but mixed it with DDG.
0 x

BK9954
GURU
GURU

Postby BK9954 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:09 am

TexasBred wrote:
5S Cattle wrote:
TexasBred wrote:5S wet brewers grain is an excellent product. Very safe to feed, hard to overfeed and cattle will gain condition on it. The values in the link Sky gave you may be a bit on the high side but it will still contain excellent crude protein on a dry matter basis (24-26% at least). Just keep in mind that it will be from 50% to 65% moisture so you have to feed a lot of it to get a decent amount of dry matter.....20 lbs. as fed would give from 7 to 10 lbs. of dry matter. You can free choice it or limit feed it. On the steers I'd probably give them what they will clean up. Keep hay available until you have grazing to compliment
it.

Thanks TB. I kinda fell into this deal, talked to the brewer at lunch and by 5:30 had a ton on the back of my flatbed headed to the ranch haha. Was just curious how everyone did it because I didn't know anyone who had experience with it. Dad said they talked about it when he was at A&M for about 30 seconds because back then there wasn't as many breweries around.

Aggieland would have been the perfect location for a brewery. ;-) (Gig'em)

TX A&M will do a protien test for $5 at their labratory. There was a distillery offering it by the gallon for .08 up there last week on craigs list. I am getting some from a moonshine distillery and getting another one lined up for 4 tons a week. Free this time.
0 x
"Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it" Winston Churchill

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:11 pm

BK9954 wrote:
TexasBred wrote:
5S Cattle wrote:Thanks TB. I kinda fell into this deal, talked to the brewer at lunch and by 5:30 had a ton on the back of my flatbed headed to the ranch haha. Was just curious how everyone did it because I didn't know anyone who had experience with it. Dad said they talked about it when he was at A&M for about 30 seconds because back then there wasn't as many breweries around.

Aggieland would have been the perfect location for a brewery. ;-) (Gig'em)

TX A&M will do a protien test for $5 at their labratory. There was a distillery offering it by the gallon for .08 up there last week on craigs list. I am getting some from a moonshine distillery and getting another one lined up for 4 tons a week. Free this time.

Different product BK. You're talking distillers co-products. Brewers grain comes from manufacture of beer. Wet brewers grain normally will test well over 20% crude protein on a 100% dry matter basis.
0 x
“If it were up to me, I would put in jail every sandal-wearing, scruffy-bearded weirdo who burns the American flag.....“But I am not king.”....Supreme Court Justice Scalia

ddd75
Rancher
Rancher

Postby ddd75 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:59 am

you guys just haul this stuff in dump trucks and dump it in a pile?
0 x

Return to “Feedyard Board”