Cheap bags of feed?

Backgrounding & feeding questions.
Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Cheap bags of feed?

Postby Bigfoot » Tue May 02, 2017 9:42 am

I kinda mix my on feed. Shelled corn, and DDG. I call it 8 cents a pound. If I'm serious about feeding something, tha'ts what it gets.

You cant beat the convenience of a 50 pound bag of feed sometimes though. I run to the Rural King, and get 21 bags of feed every time I run out, just to have some around. It's a fairly nondescript looking textured feed. All byproducts no doubt. Seems to be soaked in molasses. It's either the molasses, or it's laced with crack, the way cattle go after it. In the absence cubes/cake in my area, it's my go to for towing cows etc.

It's $6.29 a bag, which works out to be about $250 a ton. Thats the cheapest bagged feed available in my area, and the highest ton price I've ever seen (I know your buying convenience).

Zero chance of making a dime, giving that stuff to feeder calves, but how good is a cheap bagged feed? Says its 14%.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Re: Cheap bags of feed?

Postby kenny thomas » Tue May 02, 2017 10:01 am

Not the answer you wanna hear, but hunt some byproduct like M&M's and mix and bag your own. It should cheapen up your current feed and also adds the sugar they like. Pretty good energy also.
0 x
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

Some people know people, who know people, who aren't very nice people and you could get a visit from them someday. So be good people.

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Tue May 02, 2017 10:05 am

Bigfoot wrote:I kinda mix my on feed. Shelled corn, and DDG. I call it 8 cents a pound. If I'm serious about feeding something, tha'ts what it gets.

You cant beat the convenience of a 50 pound bag of feed sometimes though. I run to the Rural King, and get 21 bags of feed every time I run out, just to have some around. It's a fairly nondescript looking textured feed. All byproducts no doubt. Seems to be soaked in molasses. It's either the molasses, or it's laced with crack, the way cattle go after it. In the absence cubes/cake in my area, it's my go to for towing cows etc.

It's $6.29 a bag, which works out to be about $250 a ton. Thats the cheapest bagged feed available in my area, and the highest ton price I've ever seen (I know your buying convenience).

Zero chance of making a dime, giving that stuff to feeder calves, but how good is a cheap bagged feed? Says its 14%.

Bigfoot how much is a bag of chopped/cracked corn up your way?? If it's less than $6.29 a bag I'd mix that feed with a good amount of corn which would cut the protein, increase the energy quite a bit and do you a much better job of growing out those feeders.
0 x
“If it were up to me, I would put in jail every sandal-wearing, scruffy-bearded weirdo who burns the American flag.....“But I am not king.”....Supreme Court Justice Scalia

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Tue May 02, 2017 10:44 am

TexasBred wrote:
Bigfoot wrote:I kinda mix my on feed. Shelled corn, and DDG. I call it 8 cents a pound. If I'm serious about feeding something, tha'ts what it gets.

Bigfoot how much is a bag of chopped/cracked corn up your way?? If it's less than $6.29 a bag I'd mix that feed with a good amount of corn which would cut the protein, increase the energy quite a bit and do you a much better job of growing out those feeders.

Corn is over $8 a bag. I don't feed the elcheapo stuff to feeders. It's mostly for towing the cows, I feed my home mix to something I want to see grow.
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Tue May 02, 2017 12:52 pm

Bigfoot wrote:
TexasBred wrote:

Corn is over $8 a bag. I don't feed the elcheapo stuff to feeders. It's mostly for towing the cows, I feed my home mix to something I want to see grow.

Now I gotta ask how you make 8 cents a pound feed mix when the corn cost $.18 a lb.??
0 x
“If it were up to me, I would put in jail every sandal-wearing, scruffy-bearded weirdo who burns the American flag.....“But I am not king.”....Supreme Court Justice Scalia

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Tue May 02, 2017 12:58 pm

TexasBred wrote:
Bigfoot wrote:
TexasBred wrote:Bigfoot how much is a bag of chopped/cracked corn up your way?? If it's less than $6.29 a bag I'd mix that feed with a good amount of corn which would cut the protein, increase the energy quite a bit and do you a much better job of growing out those feeders.

Now I gotta ask how you make 8 cents a pound feed mix when the corn cost $.18 a lb.??

I buy it off the farm. The $8 is already in a bag at the feed mill/tsc.
0 x

shaz
GURU
GURU

Postby shaz » Tue May 02, 2017 4:29 pm

How much is the DDG per ton Bigfoot?
0 x
Grab the bull by the horns.....then what are you supposed to do?

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Tue May 02, 2017 5:35 pm

shaz wrote:How much is the DDG per ton Bigfoot?

I think I gave 145 a ton for the last load. Ran about 160 most of the winter.
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Tue May 02, 2017 5:54 pm

Of course cake is king here. Everyone uses it to check cows. You pull in a pasture toot the horn or siren. Pour a bag out in a long line and count tails.
If you check five pastures 40 bucks just to count em. We cleaned out the feed barn and stuff it in old feed sacks. A mix of cottonseed, corn and busted squares. I'll use it every other trip. They don't like it like cake so still have to cake em enough to keep em were they come running.

One year I got my hands on some small squares of good sweet haygrazer. Very rarely square baled here. I know you use it and the cows love it. For just checking cows or moving them it worked very well. And at a couple bucks a square was cheap enough.
0 x
The more I work the luckier I get...TexasBred

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

Till-Hill
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Till-Hill » Tue May 02, 2017 8:42 pm

TexasBred wrote:
Bigfoot wrote:
TexasBred wrote:Bigfoot how much is a bag of chopped/cracked corn up your way?? If it's less than $6.29 a bag I'd mix that feed with a good amount of corn which would cut the protein, increase the energy quite a bit and do you a much better job of growing out those feeders.

$10+/bushel corn down there? I got to go some math but we got just short of $3.45 here today at the river terminal. I'd think we could truck it there cheaper that $10/bu. I pay the boss $.07/# or $3.92/bu for corn to use his tractor and fuel to grind feed using my mill for my cattle. Ddg here to trucking included under $120 ton
0 x

ddd75
Rancher
Rancher

Postby ddd75 » Wed May 03, 2017 6:37 am

Till-Hill wrote:
TexasBred wrote:
Bigfoot wrote:

$10+/bushel corn down there? I got to go some math but we got just short of $3.45 here today at the river terminal. I'd think we could truck it there cheaper that $10/bu. I pay the boss $.07/# or $3.92/bu for corn to use his tractor and fuel to grind feed using my mill for my cattle. Ddg here to trucking included under $120 ton

I'm in the middle of the corn belt and they want 300 / ton for pure uncracked corn here! I have a mill 6 miles away and about another 10 within 30 miles and they all want that price.. yet the farm brings it in and they give him 3.50 !!!! its insane!!

I have to drive an hour away and pick it up for 180 / ton which I think is still too much. I got some large corn growers near me with large amounts of storage.. as soon as I can get the structures I'm going to try to buy it direct off one of them which I think would be pretty easy. I can get DDG's for 80/ton but that doesn't include delivery.. I'm about 30 miles from the plant so I figure 120 for delivery.. so it'd only ad about 6.00 / ton to it.
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Wed May 03, 2017 8:33 am

Bought whole corn last week for $6.00 a bag....cracked corn was $6.15.
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Wed May 03, 2017 8:50 am

Till-Hill wrote:
TexasBred wrote:
Bigfoot wrote:

I have no idea where my fingers came up with that $.18 a lb. Till.....guess they have a mind of their own. :lol: It's not quite that expensive...DDG on the other hand is not nearly as cheap down this way as what you guys are quoting either.
0 x

Till-Hill
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Till-Hill » Wed May 03, 2017 10:59 am

ddd75 wrote:
Till-Hill wrote:
TexasBred wrote:Now I gotta ask how you make 8 cents a pound feed mix when the corn cost $.18 a lb.??

I'm in the middle of the corn belt and they want 300 / ton for pure uncracked corn here! I have a mill 6 miles away and about another 10 within 30 miles and they all want that price.. yet the farm brings it in and they give him 3.50 !!!! its insane!!

I have to drive an hour away and pick it up for 180 / ton which I think is still too much. I got some large corn growers near me with large amounts of storage.. as soon as I can get the structures I'm going to try to buy it direct off one of them which I think would be pretty easy. I can get DDG's for 80/ton but that doesn't include delivery.. I'm about 30 miles from the plant so I figure 120 for delivery.. so it'd only ad about 6.00 / ton to it.
Same thing here. At least 30 cents difference in an out. I tried buying oats last year. Gave buddy mine $1/bu wanted $2.30 from me and it wasn't food grade! I bought a mill for $1,200 and won't take long to pay that back.
0 x

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Wed May 03, 2017 7:28 pm

Cheapest quality feed around here is by the ton in super sack @ 300 a ton.
I bet 75% of the feed that leaves the mill is in super sack.
You can get some lower quality stuff for 260 a ton.
0 x
I am the NRA
Brimmer Pimp

Return to “Feedyard Board”