Cheap bags of feed?

Backgrounding & feeding questions.
littletom
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Cheap bags of feed?

Postby littletom » Sat May 13, 2017 10:20 pm

Bigfoot wrote:I kinda mix my on feed. Shelled corn, and DDG. I call it 8 cents a pound. If I'm serious about feeding something, tha'ts what it gets.

You cant beat the convenience of a 50 pound bag of feed sometimes though. I run to the Rural King, and get 21 bags of feed every time I run out, just to have some around. It's a fairly nondescript looking textured feed. All byproducts no doubt. Seems to be soaked in molasses. It's either the molasses, or it's laced with crack, the way cattle go after it. In the absence cubes/cake in my area, it's my go to for towing cows etc.

It's $6.29 a bag, which works out to be about $250 a ton. Thats the cheapest bagged feed available in my area, and the highest ton price I've ever seen (I know your buying convenience).

Zero chance of making a dime, giving that stuff to feeder calves, but how good is a cheap bagged feed? Says its 14%.

Why can we not get cubes cake here? Burkmans make them in Danville but you have to buy a 5 on minimum get them here.
0 x

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Sun May 14, 2017 11:22 am

littletom wrote:
Bigfoot wrote:I kinda mix my on feed. Shelled corn, and DDG. I call it 8 cents a pound. If I'm serious about feeding something, tha'ts what it gets.

You cant beat the convenience of a 50 pound bag of feed sometimes though. I run to the Rural King, and get 21 bags of feed every time I run out, just to have some around. It's a fairly nondescript looking textured feed. All byproducts no doubt. Seems to be soaked in molasses. It's either the molasses, or it's laced with crack, the way cattle go after it. In the absence cubes/cake in my area, it's my go to for towing cows etc.

It's $6.29 a bag, which works out to be about $250 a ton. Thats the cheapest bagged feed available in my area, and the highest ton price I've ever seen (I know your buying convenience).

Zero chance of making a dime, giving that stuff to feeder calves, but how good is a cheap bagged feed? Says its 14%.

Why can we not get cubes cake here? Burkmans make them in Danville but you have to buy a 5 on minimum get them here.

I didn't know they were available anywhere.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

Cucumber35
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Cucumber35 » Sun May 21, 2017 9:58 am

Asking for Cattle cubes / cake will get you some strange looks around here. TSC lists cubes online but I can't even get the local store to get it ordered in. I use a 12% protein steer feed from the local mill at about $270 a ton delivered in bulk. $320 a ton or $8 a bag for the same stuff bagged and picked up 20 miles away. Feed store down the road does have a steer ration that's 14% protein and seems to be slightly better quality but it's $11 a bag. I'll just feed more of the cheaper stuff... I'm in mostly horse country and close to dairy country, not a lot of options unless you're a big timer.
0 x

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Sun May 21, 2017 4:55 pm

I buy 16% delivered into my,upright bin for 175 a ton. Never seen cake or cubes anywhere here.
0 x
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

Some people know people, who know people, who aren't very nice people and you could get a visit from them someday. So be good people.

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Mon May 22, 2017 9:56 am

kenny thomas wrote:I buy 16% delivered into my,upright bin for 175 a ton. Never seen cake or cubes anywhere here.

This is amazing. Have always thought range cubes were more or less the universal winter supplement for cattle. But if they're not there they're not there. What other feeds do you folks feed and do they require feed troughs??
0 x
“If it were up to me, I would put in jail every sandal-wearing, scruffy-bearded weirdo who burns the American flag.....“But I am not king.”....Supreme Court Justice Scalia

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Mon May 22, 2017 10:15 am

I saw a pallet of cubes at our feed store last week they were around 10bucks a bag , I felt of them thru the bag and I guess they were big enough to not need a trough. I buy 14% pellet at 145.00 a ton , Everything around here requires a trough of some sort.
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Mon May 22, 2017 11:16 am

M-5 wrote:I saw a pallet of cubes at our feed store last week they were around 10bucks a bag , I felt of them thru the bag and I guess they were big enough to not need a trough. I buy 14% pellet at 145.00 a ton , Everything around here requires a trough of some sort.

http://www.frmfeeds.com/235250/138480.html
I've often wondered if you could buy bulk and how much?
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Mon May 22, 2017 12:24 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:
M-5 wrote:I saw a pallet of cubes at our feed store last week they were around 10bucks a bag , I felt of them thru the bag and I guess they were big enough to not need a trough. I buy 14% pellet at 145.00 a ton , Everything around here requires a trough of some sort.

FRM Ran a bulk feed truck and a panel van around here yrs ago and delivered to each farm. I should at least price it out from them since it is so close to me
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Mon May 22, 2017 12:42 pm

M-5 wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:

FRM Ran a bulk feed truck and a panel van around here yrs ago and delivered to each farm. I should at least price it out from them since it is so close to me

I'd be in for 3 tons or whatever my grain trailer will hold, for a fair price.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Mon May 22, 2017 1:48 pm

Not a bad looking cube. Love how they list corn as first ingredient. Also unusual to see anyone still using animal fat in their feeds.
0 x
“If it were up to me, I would put in jail every sandal-wearing, scruffy-bearded weirdo who burns the American flag.....“But I am not king.”....Supreme Court Justice Scalia

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Mon May 22, 2017 8:37 pm

TexasBred wrote:
kenny thomas wrote:I buy 16% delivered into my,upright bin for 175 a ton. Never seen cake or cubes anywhere here.

This is amazing. Have always thought range cubes were more or less the universal winter supplement for cattle. But if they're not there they're not there. What other feeds do you folks feed and do they require feed troughs??

Calves are all that ever get fed by me and that is either in a trough or creep feeder. Cows might get some 3-4 times a year now I'm catching them.
0 x
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

Some people know people, who know people, who aren't very nice people and you could get a visit from them someday. So be good people.

Return to “Feedyard Board”