Corn silage storage

Backgrounding & feeding questions.
pricefarm
Rancher
Rancher

Corn silage storage

Postby pricefarm » Sun May 21, 2017 4:54 pm

Iam thinking of building a 12x 24 shed. Not sure how tall but around 16ft tall. Going to use light poles for post and for the sides going to use 2" saw mill lumber boards and leave some spacing in between them. Going to leave one of the 12ft ends open. I might pour concrete for the floor. I want to use it to either store ear corn or maybe corn silage. How many tons of silage could I get in it? Might have to go taller because it would be delivered in a dump truck.
0 x

Waterway65
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Re: Corn silage storage

Postby Waterway65 » Sun May 21, 2017 8:13 pm

I wouldn't recommend would for silage storage. Should work good for ear corn
0 x

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Sun May 21, 2017 8:31 pm

A roof is no benefit for corn silage
Corn silage needs to be packed tight by driving largest tractor available back and forth over it and tightly covering
with a tarp to limit air exposure. Bagging also works very well.
Ear corn will mold in a commodities shed.... ear corn needs ventilation (think corn crib)

Dried shell corn would be one feed you could store in it. Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but it sounds like you are thinking
of building a cross between a commodities shed and a hay storage shed. I'd suggest you define your goals or purpose of
the shed and build accordingly.
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Mon May 22, 2017 1:49 pm

If you're talking about delivering fresh chopped corn to that barn it won't ever make silage. Just spoil and rot. SOB told you right.
0 x
“If it were up to me, I would put in jail every sandal-wearing, scruffy-bearded weirdo who burns the American flag.....“But I am not king.”....Supreme Court Justice Scalia

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Mon May 22, 2017 2:22 pm

pricefarm wrote:Iam thinking of building a 12x 24 shed. Not sure how tall but around 16ft tall. Going to use light poles for post and for the sides going to use 2" saw mill lumber boards and leave some spacing in between them. Going to leave one of the 12ft ends open. I might pour concrete for the floor. I want to use it to either store ear corn or maybe corn silage. How many tons of silage could I get in it? Might have to go taller because it would be delivered in a dump truck.

Build the shed for something else but not corn silage... I fool with silage some but unfortunately do not have an adequate place now If I were you I would get a slab poured that size with maybe block walls or poured walls and that would be my silage bin. Cover with the black plastic but putting inside not going to work.
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Mon May 22, 2017 2:26 pm

0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Mon May 22, 2017 4:10 pm

skyhightree1 wrote:
pricefarm wrote:Iam thinking of building a 12x 24 shed. Not sure how tall but around 16ft tall. Going to use light poles for post and for the sides going to use 2" saw mill lumber boards and leave some spacing in between them. Going to leave one of the 12ft ends open. I might pour concrete for the floor. I want to use it to either store ear corn or maybe corn silage. How many tons of silage could I get in it? Might have to go taller because it would be delivered in a dump truck.

Build the shed for something else but not corn silage... I fool with silage some but unfortunately do not have an adequate place now If I were you I would get a slab poured that size with maybe block walls or poured walls and that would be my silage bin. Cover with the black plastic but putting inside not going to work.

Yep...heck I've even used round bales for the sides....works fine but you end up with a bit more waste but packed right it will ensile.
0 x
“If it were up to me, I would put in jail every sandal-wearing, scruffy-bearded weirdo who burns the American flag.....“But I am not king.”....Supreme Court Justice Scalia

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Mon May 22, 2017 4:26 pm

TexasBred wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:

Yep...heck I've even used round bales for the sides....works fine but you end up with a bit more waste but packed right it will ensile.

Those jersey walls can be purchased as well probably cheaper than having concrete walls poured. I never thought about hay bales. There's a thought.
0 x

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Mon May 22, 2017 4:41 pm

8' x 50' silage bag will hold aprox 45 tons of wet corn silage 1300 bu of h. m. shell corn or 1000 bu of ground ear corn

actual capacity varies with moisture content, length of cut and amount of pressure applied when filling the bag.
0 x

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Mon May 22, 2017 8:44 pm

TexasBred wrote:If you're talking about delivering fresh chopped corn to that barn it won't ever make silage. Just spoil and rot. SOB told you right.

Why will it not?
0 x
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

Some people know people, who know people, who aren't very nice people and you could get a visit from them someday. So be good people.

pricefarm
Rancher
Rancher

Postby pricefarm » Mon May 22, 2017 8:54 pm

What if the silage has already fermented? I can buy last years silage pretty cheap. Can I put it in the shed and just pile it up without packing it much ? How long would it last this way?
0 x

millstreaminn
Rancher
Rancher

Postby millstreaminn » Tue May 23, 2017 11:07 am

I've bought corn silage before that was already fermented and it would last about 3 days dumped outside. (Of course it was spring and the weather was cool.) I would load it on a trailer and feed dairy cattle with it. No real benefit of putting it in a shed.
0 x
It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

ez14.
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby ez14. » Tue May 23, 2017 11:31 am

kenny thomas wrote:
TexasBred wrote:If you're talking about delivering fresh chopped corn to that barn it won't ever make silage. Just spoil and rot. SOB told you right.

Why will it not?

it has to use up all of the oxygen to ferment properly and just sitting in a barn would allow to much air in and you would end up with a very smelly slimey mess!
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Tue May 23, 2017 11:44 am

pricefarm wrote:What if the silage has already fermented? I can buy last years silage pretty cheap. Can I put it in the shed and just pile it up without packing it much ? How long would it last this way?

Nothing wrong with that. That's how most folks down here get it. Haul it in, dump it in something with sides and a back and then use it as needed. Will certainly last long enough for you to feed it all up if you don't get too much at one time. Great feed you just have to feed much more of it due to the high moisture content.
0 x

ez14.
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby ez14. » Tue May 23, 2017 11:48 am

TexasBred wrote:
pricefarm wrote:What if the silage has already fermented? I can buy last years silage pretty cheap. Can I put it in the shed and just pile it up without packing it much ? How long would it last this way?

Nothing wrong with that. That's how most folks down here get it. Haul it in, dump it in something with sides and a back and then use it as needed. Will certainly last long enough for you to feed it all up if you don't get too much at one time. Great feed you just have to feed much more of it due to the high moisture content.

but how long will it last like that? i'm thinking not very long
0 x

Return to “Feedyard Board”