Backgrounding & feeding questions.
millstreaminn
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Corn silage storage

Postby millstreaminn » Tue May 23, 2017 12:00 pm

ez14. wrote:
TexasBred wrote:
pricefarm wrote:What if the silage has already fermented? I can buy last years silage pretty cheap. Can I put it in the shed and just pile it up without packing it much ? How long would it last this way?

Nothing wrong with that. That's how most folks down here get it. Haul it in, dump it in something with sides and a back and then use it as needed. Will certainly last long enough for you to feed it all up if you don't get too much at one time. Great feed you just have to feed much more of it due to the high moisture content.

but how long will it last like that? i'm thinking not very long

3 days would be my guess. You are going to get a lot of heating by adding all the oxygen to it when you move it. I still don't see the reason to put it in a shed? At least outside in a pile, you can pack it a bit to make it keep longer.
0 x
It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Tue May 23, 2017 1:05 pm

millstreaminn wrote:
ez14. wrote:
TexasBred wrote:Nothing wrong with that. That's how most folks down here get it. Haul it in, dump it in something with sides and a back and then use it as needed. Will certainly last long enough for you to feed it all up if you don't get too much at one time. Great feed you just have to feed much more of it due to the high moisture content.

but how long will it last like that? i'm thinking not very long

3 days would be my guess. You are going to get a lot of heating by adding all the oxygen to it when you move it. I still don't see the reason to put it in a shed? At least outside in a pile, you can pack it a bit to make it keep longer.

Mill it is already ensiled and HOT when loaded on the truck/trailer and hauled to his farm. No longer a need for packing other than to make the barn hold a larger amount. It will actually dry some and mold a bit but won't hurt it. Just don't haul in and store over about a weeks supply. I've fed it to dairy cows at least that old with no adverse effects.
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

pricefarm
Rancher
Rancher

Postby pricefarm » Tue May 23, 2017 9:02 pm

So once it's delivered to my farm feed it out in 7 days? How many pounds would lets say a 500lb steer eat?
0 x

millstreaminn
Rancher
Rancher

Postby millstreaminn » Wed May 24, 2017 7:11 am

My experience with bunker kept corn silage was from feeding 1,500 tons a year from a 100x20x10 foot concrete bunker. I would load it on a cart with a tractor and then wheel barrow it to my dairy cows who were housed in an old, tie stall barn. One heaping wheel barrow was divided between 4 cows, twice a day. If I would overload the cart for either the morning or afternoon feeding, they wouldn't eat what was left on the cart the next feeding. It would heat and have a funky smell. That's just my experience.
0 x
It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Wed May 24, 2017 10:40 am

pricefarm wrote:So once it's delivered to my farm feed it out in 7 days?
How many pounds would lets say a 500lb steer eat?

So many variables it is hard to say... guessing... 1 ton week per 8 - 9 head.
As Mills pointed out when silage is moved from where it stored it's 'bunk life' can and often is greatly shortened.
A big problem when feeding lactating dairy cows... dry cows and beef cattle not as much.
My experience has always been feeding it straight from silo or mixing it into a TMR ration which can cover a lot of sins.
But I'm certain it would feed better in January in Minnesota than in July in Virginia.
0 x

Return to “Feedyard Board”