Distillers syrup... backgrounding steers

Backgrounding & feeding questions.
BK9954
GURU
GURU

Re: Distillers syrup... backgrounding steers

Postby BK9954 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:54 pm

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:We have a small local distillery opening in our county and I know the owners pretty well. I wonder if I need to try and strike a deal for the byproducts?

I would, this one I got just started, only getting 2 55gal. barrels of grain for $15 each and all the syrup/soluble byproduct on the house. I guaranteed to buy everything they make so I got exclusive availability to it.
0 x
"Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it" Winston Churchill

kentuckian
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby kentuckian » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:10 pm

Semi load of 600 pound bulls that I haven't had but for a couple weeks. yes, so far I like it, once they got to eating a decent amount of it. What I like best is the fact of them having "feed" in front of them all the time. I've never had bawling/just weaner calves in this good flesh at this point ever. Maybe it's just the quality of the calves, but normally by this point I've had several pulls and most of the cattle look like they are going backwards. This set looks like they have already gained 50 pounds instead of losing it.
0 x

kentuckian
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby kentuckian » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:13 pm

Don't quote me on this but I think there is a difference in syrup coming out of a whiskey distillery vs ethanol plant. I believe the sulfur is way lower in whiskey syrup.. maybe I dreamed that.
0 x

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:27 pm

BK9954 wrote:
TennesseeTuxedo wrote:We have a small local distillery opening in our county and I know the owners pretty well. I wonder if I need to try and strike a deal for the byproducts?

I would, this one I got just started, only getting 2 55gal. barrels of grain for $15 each and all the syrup/soluble byproduct on the house. I guaranteed to buy everything they make so I got exclusive availability to it.

Thanks for the advice.
0 x
Time for a snappy new signature.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:18 am

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
BK9954 wrote:

Thanks for the advice.

Never had experience with that stuff but the ethanol plant has it and bring you a tanker of it to your pasture and a thin cow will be a butter ball in no time. it's nice to fatten things up or use with poor hay.
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

ddd75
Rancher
Rancher

Postby ddd75 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:37 am

kentuckian wrote:Semi load of 600 pound bulls that I haven't had but for a couple weeks. yes, so far I like it, once they got to eating a decent amount of it. What I like best is the fact of them having "feed" in front of them all the time. I've never had bawling/just weaner calves in this good flesh at this point ever. Maybe it's just the quality of the calves, but normally by this point I've had several pulls and most of the cattle look like they are going backwards. This set looks like they have already gained 50 pounds instead of losing it.

nice!
0 x

jedstivers
GURU
GURU

Postby jedstivers » Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:00 pm

Yes you do.
0 x

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:03 pm

jedstivers wrote:

Yes you do.

I'll call him next week. I bet I'm too late.
0 x

BK9954
GURU
GURU

Postby BK9954 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:07 pm

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
jedstivers wrote:

Yes you do.

I do a search on craigslist every couple days. Thats how I found this one. Found one yesterday for 20 barrels a week of beer grain, has to be picked up on Monday mornings. My truck, trailer and schedule wouldnt let me do it but I passed it on to my buddy that runs over 100 head. This place is giving it free. Thats 2 found on craigslist in the last month.
0 x
"Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it" Winston Churchill

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:09 pm

BK9954 wrote:
TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
jedstivers wrote:Yes you do.

I do a search on craigslist every couple days. Thats how I found this one. Found one yesterday for 20 barrels a week of beer grain, has to be picked up on Monday mornings. My truck, trailer and schedule wouldnt let me do it but I passed it on to my buddy that runs over 100 head. This place is giving it free. Thats 2 found on craigslist in the last month.

Very handy tip, thanks.
0 x

BK9954
GURU
GURU

Postby BK9954 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:56 pm

Just got back from checking the syrup I am getting. It has honey in it. Not sure how long its going to be good for but atleast it has some carbs I guess. Its from the honey flavored moonshine. 250 gallons a week.
0 x

Return to “Feedyard Board”