Feedlot fence line

Backgrounding & feeding questions.
M-5
GURU
GURU

Re: Feedlot fence line

Postby M-5 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:21 pm

Stocker Steve wrote:I like the idea of not driving in a muddy lot.
The feeding slots looked too wide, and they showed hay left in the middle. What is the advantage of more than 6' wide?
I would go 5.5' wide by 12' and load three 5x4 bales.
Not sure why you need a gate?

You've never had a calf get in the hay ring??
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:59 pm

M-5 wrote:
The feeding slots looked too wide, and they showed hay left in the middle. What is the advantage of more than 6' wide?

You've never had a calf get in the hay ring??

Good point.
0 x
Time for a snappy new signature.

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:54 am

in the article they say that feed was left because they were on grass and just fed a few last bales.. they said they cleaned it up well and could reach all the hay all winter.
0 x

NonTypicalCPA
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby NonTypicalCPA » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:02 am

Those are slick setups! I will be trying one of those. Is there any advantage to having the cattle stand on concrete other than not having to fix the indentations that there front feet make? Keep toes worn down?
0 x

Smoothy
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Smoothy » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:11 pm

https://youtu.be/MTCwYM8-fsE This is a design I found a year or so ago. I really like the set up. My next one will be Crete something based off this design size may change some but I like that I could clean manure around bunk. That's always the messiest and usually were the muds the worst. I think fabing up feed panels wouldn't be to bad to slide together otherwise I know a company in Montana that builds then. They call it the purple feeders fairly slick ideas especially when dealing with mud
0 x

R V
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby R V » Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:01 am

Excellent ideas - thanks for posting!
0 x

Till-Hill
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Till-Hill » Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:16 am

With concrete great idea, without I've tried it and just doesn't work here. I move feeders every bale when it's soft! What do the wife and kids do when your feeding hay once you do that tho?!
0 x

shaz
GURU
GURU

Postby shaz » Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:52 am

NonTypicalCPA wrote:Those are slick setups! I will be trying one of those. Is there any advantage to having the cattle stand on concrete other than not having to fix the indentations that there front feet make? Keep toes worn down?

Yes, the diary research center tried to cheap up and make the feeding setup from gravel and it didn't last 2 years.

It's expensive and be nice though!. I'm 6K in and haven't set the first feeder. The slab is 15x108 5" thick.
0 x
Grab the bull by the horns.....then what are you supposed to do?

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:36 pm

shaz wrote:the diary research center tried to cheap up and make the feeding setup from gravel and it didn't last 2 years.

I think gravel can work if

Did they put geo fabric below the gravel?
0 x
Stocker Steve

Smoothy
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Smoothy » Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:02 pm

I would figure your right stocker Steve. Filter fabric down first will save a lot of headaches. Up here you have to use that or blasted rock first with is 4 inch to 6 inch stone first. Fabric does wonders though
0 x

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:57 pm

I have used heavy geo fabric and class 5 in corrals and at heated waterers. Need to add a little gravel once in a while, but the combo has held up well.

A neighbor is very conservative - - so he recycles used drywall in his heavy use areas. :cowboy:
0 x
Stocker Steve

NonTypicalCPA
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby NonTypicalCPA » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:22 am

For my dry lot where I feed I've had concrete sand hauled in to prevent the spring mud issue. It's the finest particles left when they crush old concrete. It has the consistency of sand, but packs FIRM. The only downfall is that it can be a bit dusty during really dry spells. I highly recommend it if you can find it in your area.

Back to the feeder. I'm finding a local source for 8' feed panels and was wondering if three of them would work to make the above setup with a fourth side using an 8' gate to keep calves from wandering off if they get into the feeder. I'm concerned that 8' would be too wide, but my current round feeder is 8' across so maybe it will work?
0 x

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:54 am

Cut to fit
0 x
Stocker Steve

NonTypicalCPA
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby NonTypicalCPA » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:55 am

Just found some 6 footers so I should be good to go.
0 x

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:24 am

shaz wrote:
NonTypicalCPA wrote:Those are slick setups! I will be trying one of those. Is there any advantage to having the cattle stand on concrete other than not having to fix the indentations that there front feet make? Keep toes worn down?

Yes, the diary research center tried to cheap up and make the feeding setup from gravel and it didn't last 2 years.

It's expensive and be nice though!. I'm 6K in and haven't set the first feeder. The slab is 15x108 5" thick.

6k for just the concrete pad?
0 x

Return to “Feedyard Board”