Creep feeder

Backgrounding & feeding questions.
broncohunter
Beginner
Beginner

Creep feeder

Postby broncohunter » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:24 pm

I posted awhile ago about couple ideas to feed 400s to 700s. Now thinking about using a creep feeder and good hay. I didn't know if anyone has done it this way. I worry about waste.
0 x

ChrisB
GURU
GURU

Re: Creep feeder

Postby ChrisB » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:52 am

If there is a limiter in the feed it should work just fine. If the feeder is set right there should not be that much waste.
0 x

RanchMan90
GURU
GURU

Postby RanchMan90 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:13 pm

My neighbors do that. They average close to 3 lbs of gain a day and guesstimate they eat 15 lbs a day from self feeder. They've done really well on the last couple rounds of calves. Personally I wouldn't do it right now because that will market them in Oct-Nov. I would hold them over on grass or buy in Oct-Nov. :2cents:
0 x
The secret to getting ahead is getting started ~ Mark Twain

broncohunter
Beginner
Beginner

Postby broncohunter » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:59 pm

I was also worried about overeating. 3 lbs a day would be nice. I'm running my numbers on 2lbs. To be honest scared to take the plunge and try it but never know unless you try.
0 x

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:15 am

It will work, but you will not get the same gain nor conversion as feeding a mixed feedlot ration several times per day.
Heifers tend to get fat on free choice, steers not so much. Genetics matter.
You can use a lot of fiber (ear corn, oats, commercial creep,...) or Accuration limiter or switch to pail feeding after they get on it.
0 x
Stocker Steve

RanchMan90
GURU
GURU

Postby RanchMan90 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:05 am

Stocker Steve wrote:It will work, but you will not get the same gain nor conversion as feeding a mixed feedlot ration several times per day.
You can use a lot of fiber (ear corn, oats, commercial creep,...) or Accuration limiter or switch to pail feeding after they get on it.

I thought hand feeding would produce better gains as well and prefer it simply because I can meter exactly how much they're getting. My neighbor's logic was that they gain better because of better digestibility of self feeding, where they can eat small amounts more often than hand feeding large amounts several times a day. What do you think?
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:29 am

RanchMan90 wrote:
Stocker Steve wrote:It will work, but you will not get the same gain nor conversion as feeding a mixed feedlot ration several times per day.

I thought hand feeding would produce better gains as well and prefer it simply because I can meter exactly how much they're getting. My neighbor's logic was that they gain better because of better digestibility of self feeding, where they can eat small amounts more often than hand feeding large amounts several times a day. What do you think?

Hand feeding creates huge swings in rumen ph which will affect digestion which will affect gain. Making the ration available 24/7 and allowing numerous small meals a day rather than slug feeding a couple of times a day will eliminate these rumen ph swings, allow for more thorough feed conversion and better gains. I'd recommend the creep feeder. They will eventually limit themselves and eat less than with hand feeding where "you" decide how much they get. Just make sure they also ahve adequate grazing and/or hay.
0 x
“If it were up to me, I would put in jail every sandal-wearing, scruffy-bearded weirdo who burns the American flag.....“But I am not king.”....Supreme Court Justice Scalia

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:10 pm

RanchMan90 wrote:I thought hand feeding would produce better gains as well and prefer it simply because I can meter exactly how much they're getting. My neighbor's logic was that they gain better because of better digestibility of self feeding, where they can eat small amounts more often than hand feeding large amounts several times a day. What do you think?

Depends on frequency and amount and starch level and alternatives and...

I think feedlots feed several times per day and lots of starch w/o a hay bunk. There is old timy data out there on pasture finishing. Basically you have lower feed conversion than a feedlot.
I know stocker operators usually supplement just once per day, but a much lower /% body weight and much less starch. Lots of stocker data out there on energy vs. protein, and every day vs. every 2nd or 3rd day for protein.
I usually limit feed when back grounding, and I what to know who is not coming up to the bunk, so a creep is not ideal.
When I do use a creep on pasture - - there is a lot of oats in the ration and the sucking calves only hit it once or twice per day.
0 x
Stocker Steve

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:36 pm

Stocker Steve wrote:I think feedlots feed several times per day and lots of starch w/o a hay bunk.

Some feedlots add molasses to TMR mix to bind the ration fiber particle sizes to prevent cattle from sorting the feed.
0 x

broncohunter
Beginner
Beginner

Postby broncohunter » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:18 pm

I'm thinking the creep feeder is my best option. I work different shifts week to week and sometimes day to day. Also we have the opportunity for a lot of overtime at work. I just want something to make a little more and let my kids have the fun I did growing up.
0 x

RanchMan90
GURU
GURU

Postby RanchMan90 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:41 pm

broncohunter wrote:I'm thinking the creep feeder is my best option. I work different shifts week to week and sometimes day to day. Also we have the opportunity for a lot of overtime at work. I just want something to make a little more and let my kids have the fun I did growing up.

Should save you a lot of labor and equipment, plus not having to rut up pasture in the winter.
0 x

5S Cattle
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby 5S Cattle » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:38 pm

I sat in the sale barn last Friday and was thinking the exact same as you. Buy em at 4 and sell em at 7. be nice near doubling your money.
0 x

Smoothy
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Smoothy » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:16 pm

I did this exact thing last year. Had 29 head about half steers half heifers. Used Purina accuration at first hated it cattle sorted it out and just ate the corn. Made my own ration and did well. Went from 250lbs to 800. Gained 2.8 lbs per day. I did notice putting a little better hay helped. I used a good grass hay and it seemed like a good balance they didn't hit the feeder so hard. Good luck
0 x

GAonmymind
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby GAonmymind » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:41 pm

:mrgreen: Smoothy not trying to dig into your business but...would appreciate more information if possible. What month did you buy and sell? How long did you keep them? What was the average profit per head? Pros and Cons? was it worth doing again? Thanks
0 x

jedstivers
GURU
GURU

Postby jedstivers » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:15 pm

I've thought about going to self feeders on a group and trying it. All you can eat but with a limiter and all you can eat hay.
I'm feeding really cheap and as of today's corn market it just got cheaper which isn't a good thing for me. I grow and sell more corn than I feed.
0 x

Return to “Feedyard Board”