Ridgefield Farms

Backgrounding & feeding questions.
True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Ridgefield Farms

Postby True Grit Farms » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:13 pm

I had the pleasure of meeting Steve and eat some of his beef Saturday night. His operation is a class act and uses cutting edge technology. Here's a couple of his websites if anyone is interested. https://www.brasstownbeef.com
http://www.ridgefieldfarm.net
There's some good reading and ideas, he sells from pasture to the plate.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

ohiosteve
GURU
GURU

Re: Ridgefield Farms

Postby ohiosteve » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:22 pm

Vegetarian diet. Good, smart marketing right there. First time I've heard that one, I bet it catches on quickly.
0 x
The truest of warriors is often overlooked.

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:31 pm

Doesn't look cutting edge. Looks like the old way with a some modern marketing.
If the farm is supporting 6 family's with 300 cows their sure doing something most aren't. ...idk
0 x
The more I work the luckier I get...TexasBred

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

ohiosteve
GURU
GURU

Postby ohiosteve » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:49 pm

callmefence wrote:Doesn't look cutting edge. Looks like the old way with a some modern marketing.
If the farm is supporting 6 family's with 300 cows their sure doing something most aren't. ...idk

Good marketing.
0 x

ohiosteve
GURU
GURU

Postby ohiosteve » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:50 pm

ohiosteve wrote:
callmefence wrote:Doesn't look cutting edge. Looks like the old way with a some modern marketing.

Good marketing.

Excellent marketing.
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:56 pm

The cutting edge part comes from his feeding and weighing setups. Every animal has a EID tag, and the feed a specific animal eats is recorded and all the data from the day he starts feeding to shipping the animal is available. I saw the same exact set up in Montana at the Midland bull test station.
There's a lot more going on around there than meets the eye. They buy a lot of cattle from outside sources as long as you use Ridgefield Farms genetics, and pay a premium for them.
Here's a couple of pictures of his working facility. Note the head gate.

0 x

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:03 am

ohiosteve wrote:
ohiosteve wrote:

Good marketing.

Excellent marketing.

And there's nothing wrong with that.
0 x
Time for a snappy new signature.

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:06 am

True Grit Farms wrote:

The cutting edge part comes from his feeding and weighing setups. Every animal has a EID tag, and the feed a specific animal eats is recorded and all the data from the day he starts feeding to shipping the animal is available. I saw the same exact set up in Montana at the Midland bull test station.
There's a lot more going on around there than meets the eye. They buy a lot of cattle from outside sources as long as you use Ridgefield Farms genetics, and pay a premium for them.

The website says "always on grass". What feed are they measuring?
0 x
Time for a snappy new signature.

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:21 am

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:

There's more to it than meets the eye. Isn't corn and DDG grass? There's always grass around the cows, when the cattle are finished eating they go back to the grass. It's set up almost like a dairy but they don't milk the cows.
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:38 am

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:

Man definitely say's some things I agree with.
Primarily cattle with enough space are healthier. Don't need as much doctoring, mineral etc. I read about the amount of trouble some have with sick cattle and I know something is wrong.
Obviously he's riding the grass fed coattails , but can't honestly use the term. So he's came up with always on Grass. Riding cab coattails as well , but who isn't. Idk know em. But if he's doing as well as his website projects good for him, unless he's crossed the line and is running a scam.
0 x

David Crockett

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:57 am

Fenceman you hit the bullseye. He's a good steward of the land, treats his animals great and has plenty of different pastures to rotate the cattle through, I saw all this first hand. The selling and sales pitches?
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:48 am

Maybe these kinda pasture to plate deals. Or even the Amazon type deal are the best defense over the looming vertical beef industry we all fear.

I keep waiting to hear what jochephus has to say. Him being very intelligent,and very opinionated on this type of thing... :pop:
0 x

David Crockett

Dogs and Cows
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Dogs and Cows » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:11 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:I had the pleasure of meeting Steve and eat some of his beef Saturday night. His operation is a class act and uses cutting edge technology. Here's a couple of his websites if anyone is interested. https://www.brasstownbeef.com
http://www.ridgefieldfarm.net
There's some good reading and ideas, he sells from pasture to the plate.

Thanks for the links True Grit! I enjoyed looking at the websites. That is beautiful country. My daughter went to college in that area. Was this a farm tour you were on? He Steve really seems to be a "people" person...I wish I had that character trait!

Tim
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:50 pm

callmefence wrote:Maybe these kinda pasture to plate deals. Or even the Amazon type deal are the best defense over the looming vertical beef industry we all fear.

I keep waiting to hear what jochephus has to say. Him being very intelligent,and very opinionated on this type of thing... :pop:

What does that mean? That he is cheap?

I can vouch for that. He is too cheap to buy beer so he makes it. Jocheapus. :D
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:20 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
callmefence wrote:Maybe these kinda pasture to plate deals. Or even the Amazon type deal are the best defense over the looming vertical beef industry we all fear.

What does that mean? That he is cheap?

I can vouch for that. He is too cheap to buy beer so he makes it. Jocheapus. :D

It's obviously a typo. Quit acting like tt
0 x

David Crockett

Return to “Feedyard Board”