Creep Feed - What do you use?

Backgrounding & feeding questions.
User avatar
Son of Butch
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3868
Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:44 pm
Location: Frost Bite Falls, Minnesota

Creep Feed - What do you use?

Postby Son of Butch » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:34 pm

We are creep feeding Purina Rangeland calf creep 14 B68 medicated (Bovatec) $200 ton
14% protein
1% fat
25% fiber
.80% cal
.40% phos
.50% salt
.70% potassium
zinc sulfate 225 ppm
copper 75 ppm
selenium 1.0 ppm
Vitamin A 10,000 iu/lb
Vitamin D 1,000 iu
Vitamin E 10 iu

Price $200 ton (10 cents lb)
I was thinking of extending it with my own ground shell corn $2.80 bushel (5 cents lb)
Purina Nutritionist says don't do it, corn will add too much energy and the calves will get too fat too early.
We feed out the calves ourselves. Pasture grass is pretty much done here, free choice hay with their dams.
What do you think?

What do you feed?
What does it cost?

Any comments appreciated.
0 x

User avatar
RanchMan90
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1191
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 1:07 pm
Location: Southeast Oklahoma

Re: Creep Feed - What do you use?

Postby RanchMan90 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:20 pm

$200 a ton for a 16% commodity mix here. Your feed looks a little more complete.
0 x
The secret to getting ahead is getting started ~ Mark Twain

Till-Hill
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 608
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:29 pm
Location: Waterville, Iowa

Re: Creep Feed - What do you use?

Postby Till-Hill » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:24 pm

Son of Butch wrote:We are creep feeding Purina Rangeland calf creep 14 B68 medicated (Bovatec) $200 ton
14% protein
1% fat
25% fiber
.80% cal
.40% phos
.50% salt
.70% potassium
zinc sulfate 225 ppm
copper 75 ppm
selenium 1.0 ppm
Vitamin A 10,000 iu/lb
Vitamin D 1,000 iu
Vitamin E 10 iu

Price $200 ton (10 cents lb)
I was thinking of extending it with my own ground shell corn $2.80 bushel (5 cents lb)
Purina Nutritionist says don't do it, corn will add too much energy and the calves will get too fat too early.
We feed out the calves ourselves. Pasture grass is pretty much done here, free choice hay with their dams.
What do you think?

What do you feed?
What does it cost?

Any comments appreciated.
how much are oats up there? I got some for $2/but. 2 ton mix I put 800# ddg, 120 bp balancer from Purina and rest 50/50 corn/oats. I don't know why you couldn't add corn and some ddg or corn gluten pellets to the range pellet. It's a grand feed. Used it for years. Just been trying use more of our own feed or not been creeping at all
0 x

User avatar
Son of Butch
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3868
Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:44 pm
Location: Frost Bite Falls, Minnesota

Re: Creep Feed - What do you use?

Postby Son of Butch » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:14 pm

I grow corn (but not oats) and would like to feed what I grow.
It would be easy for me to grind the shell corn and mix it with the Purina Rangeland pellet for the calves.

I think the Purina nutritionist's hidden reason for saying don't do it, is that I would be buying less feed from them.
4 x

User avatar
dieselbeef
GURU
GURU
Posts: 5544
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:55 am
Location: myakka city fl

Re: Creep Feed - What do you use?

Postby dieselbeef » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:32 am

citrus pellets
0 x
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
einstein


sooner or later im gonna be all beefmasters...probly be later

angus9259
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2726
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:29 am
Location: Michigan

Re: Creep Feed - What do you use?

Postby angus9259 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:26 pm

If I was going to fatten the calves on my own farm, I'd use the corn. I don't understand the objection - unless some are going to be retained.

But my favorite creep is oats because I retain.
0 x

angus9259
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2726
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:29 am
Location: Michigan

Re: Creep Feed - What do you use?

Postby angus9259 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:32 pm

Is that a bulk price or do you buy in bags?
0 x

5S Cattle
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 177
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:55 am
Location: Brenham, Tx

Re: Creep Feed - What do you use?

Postby 5S Cattle » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:19 pm

angus9259 wrote:If I was going to fatten the calves on my own farm, I'd use the corn. I don't understand the objection - unless some are going to be retained.

But my favorite creep is oats because I retain.

Just oats?
0 x

User avatar
kenny thomas
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7149
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:16 pm
Location: SW tip of Virginia

Re: Creep Feed - What do you use?

Postby kenny thomas » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:55 pm

dieselbeef wrote:citrus pellets

How much are citrus pellets now? Bulk trailer loads.
0 x
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

Some people know people, who know people, who aren't very nice people and you could get a visit from them someday. So be good people.

User avatar
Son of Butch
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3868
Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:44 pm
Location: Frost Bite Falls, Minnesota

Re: Creep Feed - What do you use?

Postby Son of Butch » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:14 pm

angus9259 wrote:Is that a bulk price or do you buy in bags?

The Purina Rangeland is bagged and delivered for $200 ton. I feel they give me a lot of service for the price,
so no complaints there.
0 x

SmokinM
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 499
Joined: Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:14 pm

Re: Creep Feed - What do you use?

Postby SmokinM » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:56 pm

$200 a ton- WOW. Low grade crap in a bag is $275 a ton here. Will have to price that at the local dealer, curious how much difference there is. I know I pay close to double that for Accuration creep. Shelled corn here is around $4 a bushel and most won't sell it to you. At $200 a ton I could afford to feed mine.
0 x

angus9259
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2726
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:29 am
Location: Michigan

Re: Creep Feed - What do you use?

Postby angus9259 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:48 am

SmokinM wrote:$200 a ton- WOW. Low grade crap in a bag is $275 a ton here. Will have to price that at the local dealer, curious how much difference there is. I know I pay close to double that for Accuration creep. Shelled corn here is around $4 a bushel and most won't sell it to you. At $200 a ton I could afford to feed mine.


This is my situation too. Just got a price from my guy on the 14% purina and it was $320 a ton.
0 x

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7271
Joined: Mon May 02, 2005 8:28 am
Location: Central Minnesota

Re: Creep Feed - What do you use?

Postby Stocker Steve » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:44 pm

- Raise some cover crop mixes but usually use graze these off in August during the summer slump.
- Raise some oats and start creep feeding with that once pasture gets washy in September. Local oats was $1.50/bu last year and $2/bu this year. Calves look good on it. Feed conversion is ???
- Start using some corn when the weather turns in November. Have tried fence line feeding silage, grazing standing corn, and a oats/corn creep blend. Best approach depends on herd size, sex, and pasture layout.

I think a low cost Artic Vortex approach is to leave calves on the bale grazed cows, and set up a creep gate to supplement calves till the annual January price bounce. The other low cost option is too work on creep grazing of standing feed.

Sex is always a big factor. An optimizer would have different feeding approaches for heifers and steers. :idea:
0 x
Stocker Steve

User avatar
gizmom
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2447
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:23 pm
Location: Molino Florida
Contact:

Re: Creep Feed - What do you use?

Postby gizmom » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:37 pm

grass

gizmom
1 x
Respect give it to get it!

angus9259
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2726
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:29 am
Location: Michigan

Re: Creep Feed - What do you use?

Postby angus9259 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:07 am

5S Cattle wrote:
angus9259 wrote:If I was going to fatten the calves on my own farm, I'd use the corn. I don't understand the objection - unless some are going to be retained.

But my favorite creep is oats because I retain.

Just oats?


Works great - when they're cheap. I wouldn't do anything except I fall calve in a northern climate so my calves are nursing in January in the snow.
0 x


Return to “Feedyard Board”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests