Creep Feed - What do you use?

Backgrounding & feeding questions.
RanchMan90
GURU
GURU

Re: Creep Feed - What do you use?

Postby RanchMan90 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:24 pm

They gotta have some roughage to cut that cost and be profitable.
0 x
The secret to getting ahead is getting started ~ Mark Twain

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:37 pm

TCRanch wrote:
TexasBred wrote:
TCRanch wrote:They went up. Last year we locked in at $175.

Still an excellent price. Any idea what the crude fiber level is on this feed? Just curious.

Six percent.

Awesome. Should be a high quality product with no "worthless filler".
1 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:15 pm

Stocker Steve wrote:
Stocker Steve wrote:
TexasBred wrote:Steve that would depend entirely on the quality and density of the creep feed. Doubt you'll find any "trusted information".

Here is a sober guesstimate: U$S 200/T for pellets is $.10/lb at 10:1 conversion = $1/lb for cost of feed :(

Do you have a favorite feed conversion estimate?

Most commercial feeds have very poor conversion rate because they have no energy. A good high quality creep feed should give you a lb. of gain for every 5 lbs. of feed especially if it contains Bovatec, Rumensin or Amaferm.
Not familiar with terminology everywhere but around here "creep" means "free choice".
1 x

5S Cattle
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby 5S Cattle » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:21 pm

angus9259 wrote:
5S Cattle wrote:
angus9259 wrote:If I was going to fatten the calves on my own farm, I'd use the corn. I don't understand the objection - unless some are going to be retained.

But my favorite creep is oats because I retain.

Just oats?

Works great - when they're cheap. I wouldn't do anything except I fall calve in a northern climate so my calves are nursing in January in the snow.

What are you calling cheap? I got quoted $15/bushel at the co-op
0 x

angus9259
GURU
GURU

Postby angus9259 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:44 am

5S Cattle wrote:
angus9259 wrote:
5S Cattle wrote:Just oats?

Works great - when they're cheap. I wouldn't do anything except I fall calve in a northern climate so my calves are nursing in January in the snow.

I was paying as low as $2 a bushel. My understanding is oats are a northern climate grain - sometimes we (Michigan) even have to get our "good oats" from Canada. Hard to imagine TX has a good supply. $15 a bushel = like $1000 a ton. No way no how at that price.
0 x

angus9259
GURU
GURU

Postby angus9259 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:48 am

Also - as TB mentioned oats (as all minerals) have a wide variety of quality (test weight). The $2 I was paying was heavy test weight too - but still not the premium stuff that came from Canada.
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:23 am

angus9259 wrote:Also - as TB mentioned oats (as all minerals) have a wide variety of quality (test weight). The $2 I was paying was heavy test weight too - but still not the premium stuff that came from Canada.

Quite a lot of oats are grown in Texas, however, as you said most don't have the heavy test weight as Canadian or what we call "Scandinavian" oats. Most companies I'm familar with will buy the "northern" oats for use in feed manufacturing, however, locals that feed a lot of oats will use the local oats. Talked with a friend a couple of weeks ago and he said he was paying $3.80 a bushel for local oats so it's hard to make them work out cost wise in a cattle ration.
0 x

5S Cattle
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby 5S Cattle » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:44 pm

angus9259 wrote:
5S Cattle wrote:
angus9259 wrote:

I was paying as low as $2 a bushel. My understanding is oats are a northern climate grain - sometimes we (Michigan) even have to get our "good oats" from Canada. Hard to imagine TX has a good supply. $15 a bushel = like $1000 a ton. No way no how at that price.

Oh wow, ya I'd feed them too at that price!
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:58 pm

angus9259 wrote:
5S Cattle wrote:
angus9259 wrote:

Angus they're planted down here in the fall, grazed during winter then harvested in spring. Probably several months earlier than up north. Some will go 32 lb. test weight but the oat itself just won't have the size of your oats.
0 x

bball
GURU
GURU

Postby bball » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:36 am

We get a mix of corn gluten pellets and soyhull pellets delivered in 3 ton increments for $183/T. The feed mill calls it 18% protein. They deliver from almost 2 hrs away. Idk how they do it but sure glad they do.
0 x
We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are.
-Anais Nin

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:59 am

bball wrote:We get a mix of corn gluten pellets and soyhull pellets delivered in 3 ton increments for $183/T. The feed mill calls it 18% protein. They deliver from almost 2 hrs away. Idk how they do it but sure glad they do.

CGF can have a huge variation in the crude protein. 18% on the mix sounds a bit high. Some CGF won't even test that high and soyhulls are only 10%.
0 x

bball
GURU
GURU

Postby bball » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:06 am

TexasBred wrote:
bball wrote:We get a mix of corn gluten pellets and soyhull pellets delivered in 3 ton increments for $183/T. The feed mill calls it 18% protein. They deliver from almost 2 hrs away. Idk how they do it but sure glad they do.

CGF can have a huge variation in the crude protein. 18% on the mix sounds a bit high. Some CGF won't even test that high and soyhulls are only 10%.

I think that 18% is on the CGF..probaly closer to 13-14% on the whole mix I bet..im pretty happy with it for the price delivered though. Most of the mills or ethanol plants around here test each load for protein because it's used so heavily by the dairies..and has such variability from batch to batch.
0 x
We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are.
-Anais Nin

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:52 pm

Corn Silage for $25/T
0 x
Stocker Steve

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:33 am

Stocker Steve wrote:Corn Silage for $25/T

Darn. They charge that much to cut it and haul it to the pit a quarter mile down the road here.
0 x

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:44 am

TexasBred wrote:
Stocker Steve wrote:Corn Silage for $25/T

Darn. They charge that much to cut it and haul it to the pit a quarter mile down the road here.

I have to haul it 2.1 miles to get that price. Calves are getting shiny. :cowboy:
0 x
Stocker Steve

Return to “Feedyard Board”