freezer beef question

Backgrounding & feeding questions.
jnm303
Cowhand
Cowhand

freezer beef question

Postby jnm303 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:59 pm

For various reasons (lost my buyer and then my slot at slaughterhouse), I have a steer that will be butchered at ~20 months of age. We were going to make all ground beef but have now been contacted by one of our 'freezer beef " customers. I've never sold one at this age before. Would you be comfortable selling a half to a previous customer?
0 x

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Re: freezer beef question

Postby Son of Butch » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:24 pm

Yes.... and I sure wouldn't grind a steer into all burger just because he's over 20 months of age.
What is your concern about this individual steer that you think so little of him?
1 x

Luckiamute
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Luckiamute » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:20 pm

It's not uncommon to butcher a steer at 20 months of age, especially for small producers. I actually do it regularly, though it's not always by choice ... sometimes I have to wait longer to get a kill date at the butcher I use because they are so busy (like this year; my oldest steer will be 20 months when it is butchered). You should have a good quality carcass. If the steer is "grass-fed" waiting a little longer to butcher sometimes pays off with better marbling. I know there is a large grass-fed operation here in Oregon that butchers most of its steers at 18 to 24 months.
0 x

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:22 am

i had a few 26 month olds butchered in the spring.

they taste amazing. I let them go a little longer as I manly let them on pasture.. grain them when they are weaned, back on pasture, then grain them again for about 60 days until slaughter date.
1 x

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:05 am

I regularly butcher at 22-28 months. Basically all grass fed jersey and jersey crosses. Butcher here says mine have some of the best marbling. We don't do alot of grain, a few lbs per head per day to keep them coming in the catch pen. Last one was 30 months, heifer that was open. Had beautiful fat/marbling through the steaks and they tasted pretty d....d good. The flavor comes from some maturity and marbling. Marbling comes from maturity.
0 x

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:55 pm

farmerjan wrote:I regularly butcher at 22-28 months. Basically all grass fed jersey and jersey crosses. Butcher here says mine have some of the best marbling. We don't do alot of grain, a few lbs per head per day to keep them coming in the catch pen. Last one was 30 months, heifer that was open. Had beautiful fat/marbling through the steaks and they tasted pretty d....d good. The flavor comes from some maturity and marbling. Marbling comes from maturity.

I have a 27 month old heifer who hasn't calved. She's going to be in the freezer if the blood test comes back neg.
0 x

Return to “Feedyard Board”