Big rubber tire water tanks

Backgrounding & feeding questions.
BRYANT
GURU
GURU

Re: Big rubber tire water tanks

Postby BRYANT » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:59 am

jedstivers wrote:Doesn't matter about steel. You cut the sidewall out. No wire there. Use a sawzall with a metal cutting blade. Don't hold up on the part your cutting

a few months back there was a tread about this and some one was having trouble cutting them due to steel belting, I understood in side wall. I posted I had cut several with a chainsaw, easy to cut. I have even split them with a chain saw. After that thread I went to the place I got mine from several years ago to get some more. The man ask me how I cut them I said chain saw and he said '' you may have been able to cut them old ones like that but you wont cut the newer tires like that due to steel belts.'' I told him I was only cutting the side walls but my understanding was the belting is in side walls also. I may have miss understood him I have been known to do that, will be finding out, I could use a couple more my self.
0 x
God Bless America Again, Help Us To See All Lives Matter

Chocolate Cow
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Chocolate Cow » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:15 am

I have 4 of the big tanks. They each hold 1800 gallons of water. Local Co-op sells them but they won't deliver. 3 are on floats with a solar. One is at a windmill. We put a riser pipe in the center of that tank and trenched the overflow out about 85' away so there's no standing water around the tank. These are new tires that didn't pass inspection. They are cut before I get them. We use a grinder to try to smooth off the exposed wires around the top. I've also brushed some silicone over the lip to cover anything that might poke a neck. These 1800 gallon tires cost me just a little over $1,000 each. I was told the life expectancy of each tire tank is 2,600 years!!!!!!
0 x

Lucky_P
GURU
GURU

Postby Lucky_P » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:24 pm

Waterers here are gravity-fed from ponds. How well do the Jobe valves handle algae, moss, duckweed, the occasional tadpole, salamander, or small-fry fish?
The Hudson valves we used to use had to be pulled off and their screens cleaned out several times daily, back when...
0 x

Turkeybird
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Turkeybird » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:19 pm

Jobe no good for trashy Aqua
0 x

jedstivers
GURU
GURU

Postby jedstivers » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:25 pm

BRYANT wrote:
jedstivers wrote:Doesn't matter about steel. You cut the sidewall out. No wire there. Use a sawzall with a metal cutting blade. Don't hold up on the part your cutting

a few months back there was a tread about this and some one was having trouble cutting them due to steel belting, I understood in side wall. I posted I had cut several with a chainsaw, easy to cut. I have even split them with a chain saw. After that thread I went to the place I got mine from several years ago to get some more. The man ask me how I cut them I said chain saw and he said '' you may have been able to cut them old ones like that but you wont cut the newer tires like that due to steel belts.'' I told him I was only cutting the side walls but my understanding was the belting is in side walls also. I may have miss understood him I have been known to do that, will be finding out, I could use a couple more my self.

I cut brand new tires as well. Course I'm talking comebine and tractor tires. New ones cut like 25 year old ones. Easy as can be.
The Michelin agribib has double the side wall any of the others do too.
I've cut probably 100 of them.
0 x

Lucky_P
GURU
GURU

Postby Lucky_P » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:00 pm

Yeah, that's what I thought I'd remembered about the Jobes...
The McDonalds handle trash/algae/small critters with no problem.
I haven't yet figured out how the cows manage to snap off the risers, unless they're drinking the water down real fast and grabbing the rope on the float and just pulling til they break that Schedule 80 pvc pipe. Really ticks me off when they do that...
Guess if I had the REALLY big tires, maybe they wouldn't be able to reach any of the mechanics... but with smaller combine tires, nothing's completely out of reach.
0 x

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:09 pm

Lucky_P wrote:Yeah, that's what I thought I'd remembered about the Jobes...
The McDonalds handle trash/algae/small critters with no problem.
I haven't yet figured out how the cows manage to snap off the risers, unless they're drinking the water down real fast and grabbing the rope on the float and just pulling til they break that Schedule 80 pvc pipe. Really ticks me off when they do that...
Guess if I had the REALLY big tires, maybe they wouldn't be able to reach any of the mechanics... but with smaller combine tires, nothing's completely out of reach.

Look at the designs that puts the float in a covered upright culvert pipe outside of the tire. Mine is probably 20 ft away on the other side of a fence.
0 x
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

Some people know people, who know people, who aren't very nice people and you could get a visit from them someday. So be good people.

Lucky_P
GURU
GURU

Postby Lucky_P » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:14 am

KT,
Do you have a link you could post?
I can't quite envision what you're describing, but it sounds like it would solve the issue for me.
Thanks
LLP
0 x

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:27 am

Lucky_P wrote:KT,
Do you have a link you could post?
I can't quite envision what you're describing, but it sounds like it would solve the issue for me.
Thanks
LLP

I will see if i can get a link in a few minutes.
0 x

Some people know people, who know people, who aren't very nice people and you could get a visit from them someday. So be good people.

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:08 am

If you or someone that can post it here will send me your email I will forward it to someone to post the link
It is a NRCS design.
0 x

HDRider
GURU
GURU

Postby HDRider » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:12 am

kenny thomas wrote:If you or someone that can post it here will send me your email I will forward it to someone to post the link
It is a NRCS design.
Last edited by HDRider on Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
bball wrote: "The juice wasn't worth the squeeze."
Dun said, "You gotta be flexible. Do whatever you have to do for the best results within your limitations."

HDRider
GURU
GURU

Postby HDRider » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:12 am

HDRider wrote:
kenny thomas wrote:If you or someone that can post it here will send me your email I will forward it to someone to post the link
It is a NRCS design.
Last edited by HDRider on Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Dun said, "You gotta be flexible. Do whatever you have to do for the best results within your limitations."

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:14 am

Well thanks but try again.
0 x

HDRider
GURU
GURU

Postby HDRider » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:14 am

HDRider wrote:
It is a NRCS design.

Kenny this is not your link, but I googled NRCS Tire Tank and got it

https://www.nrcs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_ ... 023095.pdf
Last edited by HDRider on Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

HDRider
GURU
GURU

Postby HDRider » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:15 am

HDRider wrote:
HDRider wrote:
It is a NRCS design.
0 x

Return to “Feedyard Board”