Stave Silo Silage Life ?

Backgrounding & feeding questions.
Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Stave Silo Silage Life ?

Postby Stocker Steve » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:10 am

I have been offered some 3 year old corn silage stored in a 16' dia. concrete stave silo. I know it keeps settling and turns into compost at some point. What would you expect for the quality of 3 year old silage after you clean off the crap on top?
0 x
Stocker Steve

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Re: Stave Silo Silage Life ?

Postby Son of Butch » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:05 pm

Good question. A lot of research on the stages corn silage goes through in fermenting in the first 90 days, but little
on how long it will last as most is fed up in 11-12 months. I know it will keep fine for 18 months, but no idea beyond.

Just guessing, but after the top spoilage is removed, after 3 yrs in a concrete stave silo I'd expect an additional
4-6 inches of spoilage along the side walls from top to bottom that really can't be removed without mixing it in with
the good silage still in the center. Only way to tell how much side wall spoilage is to remove the top cap of crud.

It has to come out sometime, 3 yrs is better than 4 and better to feed out in cold weather than summer as the top
will spoil again and spoils faster in warm weather.
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Stave Silo Silage Life ?

Postby TexasBred » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:13 am

Stocker Steve wrote:I have been offered some 3 year old corn silage stored in a 16' dia. concrete stave silo. I know it keeps settling and turns into compost at some point. What would you expect for the quality of 3 year old silage after you clean off the crap on top?

Not your everyday occurance Steve but bunker silos have been found with silage in them over 20 years old and it was as fresh as ever. Very little oxygen penetrates the silage so there is almost no microbial activity.
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

Return to “Feedyard Board”