Anyone using or used Mix 30

Backgrounding & feeding questions.
Dogs and Cows
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Anyone using or used Mix 30

Postby Dogs and Cows » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:58 am

rollinhills wrote:We used it for 3yrs and it really helped, they will really go after it when you first put it out but they seem to back off after a while. only reason we're not using it now, we are feeding distillers slop, its free just have to haul it.

We are feeding the distillers slop here as well. The cattle really like it. I was worried at first about them eating too much...but they seem to limit themselves pretty well and rotate with the hay. Ours is free as well...from a bourbon distiller. I have also noticed lower hay intake...which may be a good side effect. How are you feeding? In tubs?

Thanks,

Tim
0 x

rollinhills
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby rollinhills » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:41 pm

Dogs and Cows wrote:
rollinhills wrote:We used it for 3yrs and it really helped, they will really go after it when you first put it out but they seem to back off after a while. only reason we're not using it now, we are feeding distillers slop, its free just have to haul it.

We are feeding the distillers slop here as well. The cattle really like it. I was worried at first about them eating too much...but they seem to limit themselves pretty well and rotate with the hay. Ours is free as well...from a bourbon distiller. I have also noticed lower hay intake...which may be a good side effect. How are you feeding? In tubs?

Thanks,

Yes we just dump it out and let them have it. We put out high calcium mineral and sodium bicarbonate free choice. Ours comes from a bourbon distillery also. We fattened some slaughter calves on it may be just a coincidence but the beef is extra tender, going to do the same this year so maybe that will tell the tale.

Tim
0 x

rollinhills
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby rollinhills » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:42 pm

Oops I don’t know how I did that
I added to your post
0 x

Dsteim
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Dsteim » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:38 am

We don't use it all the time but it's sure nice to have to supplement with in the winter. We pay $300 a ton in Central Texas. They definitely consume less of it after they get used to it.
0 x

BFE
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby BFE » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:37 pm

Dogs and Cows wrote:

Thanks,

Tim

What is "Distillers slop"? I have access to CCDS (or CDS), is this the same thing?
0 x
Formerly known as Clodhopper from SE IL

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:21 am

Wet distillers grain. Most folks don't call it "slop". ;-)
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

BFE
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby BFE » Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:52 pm

I see. The CDS I'm getting is 13% crude protein,9% sugar, 38.6 TDN on an as received basis at $75.00 per ton. How does this stack up with Mix 30?
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:34 pm

BFE wrote:I see. The CDS I'm getting is 13% crude protein,9% sugar, 38.6 TDN on an as received basis at $75.00 per ton. How does this stack up with Mix 30?

Mix 30 is usually 16% crude protein, 10% fat. No idea what the TDN but will be higher than 38.6. It's probably also somewhere around $300 a ton.
0 x

BFE
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby BFE » Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:16 pm

TexasBred wrote:
BFE wrote:I see. The CDS I'm getting is 13% crude protein,9% sugar, 38.6 TDN on an as received basis at $75.00 per ton. How does this stack up with Mix 30?

Mix 30 is usually 16% crude protein, 10% fat. No idea what the TDN but will be higher than 38.6. It's probably also somewhere around $300 a ton.

No fat in the analysis. Other than that it appears the CDS is more economical than Mix 30, unless I'm mistaken.
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:39 pm

BFE wrote:
TexasBred wrote:

No fat in the analysis. Other than that it appears the CDS is more economical than Mix 30, unless I'm mistaken.

Mix 30 provides some protein but they really promote their product as an energy supplement thus the high fat content and "probably" high TDN. Your's is much more economical if you're simply needing a bit of protein but is very low in energy. I'd still feed it and watch my cattle condition.
0 x

Dogs and Cows
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Dogs and Cows » Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:38 pm

TexasBred wrote:Wet distillers grain. Most folks don't call it "slop". ;-)

Actually you are incorrect. I don't know about others but I am not feeding WDGs...I am feeding Thin Stillage, or slop. Higher moisture content. Mine is from the fermentation of 51% corn and 49% wheat.

Tim
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:08 pm

Dogs and Cows wrote:

Actually you are incorrect. I don't know about others but I am not feeding WDGs...I am feeding Thin Stillage, or slop. Higher moisture content. Mine is from the fermentation of 51% corn and 49% wheat.

Tim

Your first post you referred to it as "distillers slop". Calling it slop is fine but it is also made up of grain thus "Wet Distillers Grain"....VERY wet distillers grain" or slop if you prefer. Any idea what the moisture content is??
0 x

rollinhills
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby rollinhills » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:22 pm

TexasBred wrote:
Dogs and Cows wrote:

Tim

Your first post you referred to it as "distillers slop". Calling it slop is fine but it is also made up of grain thus "Wet Distillers Grain"....VERY wet distillers grain" or slop if you prefer. Any idea what the moisture content is??

What I'm feeding is 90% water the solids are 51% corn and rye and or barley cattle love it and seem to do really well on it.
1 x

Dogs and Cows
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Dogs and Cows » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:59 am

TexasBred wrote:
Dogs and Cows wrote:

Tim

Thin stillage is also called slop...same thing. The moisture content is 90% water. This is not the traditional WDG. Smaller distillers do not have the capital to invest in drying down the grains...so it is pumped into tanks. It sounds like me and rollinhills are using the same thing. Its free so not a bad deal.
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:40 am

Dogs and Cows wrote:
Thin stillage is also called slop...same thing. The moisture content is 90% water. This is not the traditional WDG. Smaller distillers do not have the capital to invest in drying down the grains...so it is pumped into tanks. It sounds like me and rollinhills are using the same thing. Its free so not a bad deal.

Call it whatever you want guys. It's still wet distillers grain. ;-)
0 x

Return to “Feedyard Board”