rollinhills
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: Anyone using or used Mix 30

Postby rollinhills » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:44 am

Dogs and Cows wrote:
TexasBred wrote:
Dogs and Cows wrote:..
Actually you are incorrect. I don't know about others but I am not feeding WDGs...I am feeding Thin Stillage, or slop. Higher moisture content. Mine is from the fermentation of 51% corn and 49% wheat.

Tim

Your first post you referred to it as "distillers slop". Calling it slop is fine but it is also made up of grain thus "Wet Distillers Grain"....VERY wet distillers grain" or slop if you prefer. Any idea what the moisture content is??

Thin stillage is also called slop...same thing. The moisture content is 90% water. This is not the traditional WDG. Smaller distillers do not have the capital to invest in drying down the grains...so it is pumped into tanks. It sounds like me and rollinhills are using the same thing. Its free so not a bad deal.

Yes it’s free except for us hauling it about 25 miles. The only other expense is the sodium bicarbonate and high calcium mineral. I slaughtered a steer that had been finished on it and the beef is exceptionally tender, I’m not sure that had anything to do with it, the ones I sold to people say the same thing so I know it wasn’t just that one calf.
0 x

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:28 am

how are you guys hauling this
0 x

rollinhills
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby rollinhills » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:03 pm

ddd75 wrote:how are you guys hauling this

I’m using those 275 gallon totes, we haul about 2400 gallon per trip,if I had enough trough space they would bring it to me,we would need to handle about 6000 gallons. We’ve got 35 calves using it rite now they go through about 400 gallon a day and a 1100 lb bale of hay every two days.
0 x

Dogs and Cows
GURU
GURU

Postby Dogs and Cows » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:26 pm

rollinhills wrote:

I’m using those 275 gallon totes, we haul about 2400 gallon per trip,if I had enough trough space they would bring it to me,we would need to handle about 6000 gallons. We’ve got 35 calves using it rite now they go through about 400 gallon a day and a 1100 lb bale of hay every two days.

Have you noticed lower hay consumption at all?
0 x

Dogs and Cows
GURU
GURU

Postby Dogs and Cows » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:30 pm

rollinhills wrote:

Exact same situation that we have. We are not using as much. I have not supplemented any sodium bicarbonate or high calcium mineral. I am not feeding nearly as much as you...mostly using as a high protein supplement over the winter. I have noticed a marked reduction in the hay consumption. The cows love it and look very good this winter.

Edit to add...I drop off trailer in the morning on my way to work and pick up on way home...so it is a trip I am making already.
Last edited by Dogs and Cows on Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Dogs and Cows
GURU
GURU

Postby Dogs and Cows » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:30 pm

I am using 330 gallon totes.
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:31 pm

rollinhills wrote:
Dogs and Cows wrote:
TexasBred wrote:Your first post you referred to it as "distillers slop". Calling it slop is fine but it is also made up of grain thus "Wet Distillers Grain"....VERY wet distillers grain" or slop if you prefer. Any idea what the moisture content is??

Thin stillage is also called slop...same thing. The moisture content is 90% water. This is not the traditional WDG. Smaller distillers do not have the capital to invest in drying down the grains...so it is pumped into tanks. It sounds like me and rollinhills are using the same thing. Its free so not a bad deal.

Yes it’s free except for us hauling it about 25 miles. The only other expense is the sodium bicarbonate and high calcium mineral. I slaughtered a steer that had been finished on it and the beef is exceptionally tender, I’m not sure that had anything to do with it, the ones I sold to people say the same thing so I know it wasn’t just that one calf.
What's the purpose of the sodium bicarb ?? You're feeding a diet with zero starch and all roughage. Acidosis should not be a problem.
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

lap
Beginner
Beginner

Postby lap » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:03 pm

I use and deal Mix 30. Have since 2011. Let me know if you have questions.
0 x

Chocolate Cow2
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Chocolate Cow2 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:05 pm

I've got a question....my dealer told me I can add some water to my Mix 30..to make it go farther. I don't get stupid when I add water but I do add some. What say you???????
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:15 am

Chocolate Cow2 wrote:I've got a question....my dealer told me I can add some water to my Mix 30..to make it go farther. I don't get stupid when I add water but I do add some. What say you???????

Well at best it you create more of it. :lol: The bad thing is that you have just diluted everything about it. Lower protein, lower energy, etc.
0 x

Chocolate Cow2
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Chocolate Cow2 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:48 am

TexasBred, I know that. I recently asked my dealer again about adding water. He said I won't compromise the quality by doing so-within reason of course. Yeah-so one says it's ok to add some water....I'd like to have the opinion of another who says they sell it. But I know what will be said! ;-)
0 x

Ebenezer
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Ebenezer » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:59 pm

Got some delivered on Monday. I have been amazed that they limit feed so well: ewes and cows. Also enjoyed the DVD.
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:51 pm

Chocolate Cow2 wrote:TexasBred, I know that. I recently asked my dealer again about adding water. He said I won't compromise the quality by doing so-within reason of course. Yeah-so one says it's ok to add some water....I'd like to have the opinion of another who says they sell it. But I know what will be said! ;-)

Don't pay any attention to me. What do I know?? Ask someone that sells it. He'll load your boat in a heartbeat, full strength or watered down.
0 x

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:01 pm

I use a different liquid feed product and my guy strongly advises against mixing with water. Says it don't mix well and the water stays up top creating a moldy bacteria haven.
0 x
I wish my brain could forget what my eyes have seen.

"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:05 pm

TexasBred wrote:
Chocolate Cow2 wrote:TexasBred, I know that. I recently asked my dealer again about adding water. He said I won't compromise the quality by doing so-within reason of course. Yeah-so one says it's ok to add some water....I'd like to have the opinion of another who says they sell it. But I know what will be said! ;-)

Don't pay any attention to me. What do I know?? Ask someone that sells it. He'll load your boat in a heartbeat, full strength or watered down.

He probably PMed him already :lol:
1 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education" - Mark Twain

Return to “Feedyard Board”