Feeding grain cost

Backgrounding & feeding questions.
rufun2sun
Beginner
Beginner

Feeding grain cost

Postby rufun2sun » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:12 pm

Noticed my grain doesn't last as long, I'm guessing cuz everyone is getting bigger. Just figured I'm at $1.26 per day per head. I buy all my feed. I'm small time operation, just wondered how that compares to others?
0 x

shaz
GURU
GURU

Re: Feeding grain cost

Postby shaz » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:17 pm

1.10 per head per day for 5lbs of feed and 2lbs shell corn to some 7wt heifers I'm going to AI in about 50 days.
0 x
"The Pope? How many divisions does he have?" Joseph Stalin

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:20 pm

.35 a head a day for 5# OF FEED EACH
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:35 pm

rufun2sun wrote:Noticed my grain doesn't last as long, I'm guessing cuz everyone is getting bigger. Just figured I'm at $1.26 per day per head. I buy all my feed. I'm small time operation, just wondered how that compares to others?

Its costing me avg of 150.00 per week for 16-35 tons per week.
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:55 pm

I have my feed cost at $.09 a pound including mineral this year.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Supa Dexta
GURU
GURU

Postby Supa Dexta » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:00 pm

Well I first needed a plough, and a tractor... disks, harrows and a land leveler. A grain drill, a roller. Fertilizer spreader. And a Sprayer. Combine, grain cart, grain bin, auger, feed mill, and bunks. And finally a few buckets to feed it to them.

All and all I can't be in for more than half a mill?
1 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:02 pm

skyhightree1 wrote:
rufun2sun wrote:Noticed my grain doesn't last as long, I'm guessing cuz everyone is getting bigger. Just figured I'm at $1.26 per day per head. I buy all my feed. I'm small time operation, just wondered how that compares to others?

What the dry matter and TDN? We have a produce farm that charges $25 a ton for cull carrots and I'm better off feeding what I have. The percentage of dry matter and TDN is the the way to measure feed.
0 x

shaz
GURU
GURU

Postby shaz » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:23 pm

M-5 wrote:.35 a head a day for 5# OF FEED EACH

5# of what?
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:28 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:

What the dry matter and TDN? We have a produce farm that charges $25 a ton for cull carrots and I'm better off feeding what I have. The percentage of dry matter and TDN is the the way to measure feed.

The only grain I feed is brewers grain.. Here is the average analysis if you can make sense of it. I only know its truly helped me out tremendously.

http://www.csc-world.com/products-commo ... -analysis/
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:39 pm

shaz wrote:
M-5 wrote:.35 a head a day for 5# OF FEED EACH

5# of what?

Commodity blend , corn peanuts cotton screening and byproducts compressed into a pellet. Garuntee 14% protein
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

shaz
GURU
GURU

Postby shaz » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:45 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:

True,
Fed some throw away thrift store bread to pigs 3 years ago and even though a pick-up load was 10 bucks it wasn't a good deal when you look at the dry matter.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:49 pm

shaz wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:

True,
Fed some throw away thrift store bread to pigs 3 years ago and even though a pick-up load was 10 bucks it wasn't a good deal when you look at the dry matter.

I feed bread by dump truck loads to pigs... I feed it because I like it for the flavors the meats have with the mixes I make with it not for the feed analysis.
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:06 pm

skyhightree1 wrote:
shaz wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:What the dry matter and TDN? We have a produce farm that charges $25 a ton for cull carrots and I'm better off feeding what I have. The percentage of dry matter and TDN is the the way to measure feed.

True,

I feed bread by dump truck loads to pigs... I feed it because I like it for the flavors the meats have with the mixes I make with it not for the feed analysis.

I'd like to feed just grass and hay, but I can't grow 14% hay for the wet cows. For me I think hay would be the cheapest and easiest feed option. I believe we make raising cattle harder than it needs to be. Messing with feed and hay seems like I'm spinning my wheels half of the time.
2 x

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:33 pm

rufun2sun wrote:Noticed my grain doesn't last as long, I'm guessing cuz everyone is getting bigger... I'm at $1.26 per day per head.
I buy all my feed. I'm small time operation, just wondered how that compares to others?

Feeding steers or cows?
$3.92 bu corn = 7 cents lb
18 lbs corn = $1.26 per day/hd
6:1 grain conversion = Steers gaining 3 lbs per day..... yupper they should be getting big.

No way you're feeding 18 lbs of grain/day to cows?
Are you?
0 x

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:42 pm

What are you feeding, and how much?
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

Return to “Feedyard Board”