Feeding grain cost

Backgrounding & feeding questions.
Aaron
GURU
GURU

Re: Feeding grain cost

Postby Aaron » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:43 pm

$0.20 US a head a day backgrounding calves on 5 lbs oats.
Nothin' prettier than a red Ford truck, a Massey Ferguson tractor and a red-n-white Hereford sittin' on the farm.

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:54 am

shaz wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:
Its costing me avg of 150.00 per week for 16-35 tons per week.

What the dry matter and TDN? We have a produce farm that charges $25 a ton for cull carrots and I'm better off feeding what I have. The percentage of dry matter and TDN is the the way to measure feed.

True,
Fed some throw away thrift store bread to pigs 3 years ago and even though a pick-up load was 10 bucks it wasn't a good deal when you look at the dry matter.

Don't worry about dry matter. That matters only if you're doing a comparative analysis of multiple products with large differences in moisture content. WE buy on an as fed basis, we formulate on an as fed basis and we feed on an as fed basis. No way around it.
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:32 am

TexasBred wrote:
shaz wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:What the dry matter and TDN? We have a produce farm that charges $25 a ton for cull carrots and I'm better off feeding what I have. The percentage of dry matter and TDN is the the way to measure feed.

True,
Fed some throw away thrift store bread to pigs 3 years ago and even though a pick-up load was 10 bucks it wasn't a good deal when you look at the dry matter.

Don't worry about dry matter. That matters only if you're doing a comparative analysis of multiple products with large differences in moisture content. WE buy on an as fed basis, we formulate on an as fed basis and we feed on an as fed basis. No way around it.

If you would I'd like you to expand on that some TB. I've been trying to figure out an easy way to know my feed cost and the value from the trucking to the pounds gain at the end feeding stockers. And dry matter and TDN seem to work hand in hand.
A ton of ground corn and cotton seed mix is roughly 90% dry matter = 1800lbs. And at 90%TDN, that equates to 1620 lbs of actual feed?
A ton of Brewers grain is 25% dry matter = 500 lbs. And at 70% TDN = 350 lbs of actual feed?
Assuming that protein, fats and starches are comparable, you'd need to feed 5 tons Brewers grain to equal 1 ton of corn and cotton seed? What am I missing?
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:02 am

True Grit Farms wrote:
TexasBred wrote:
shaz wrote:
True,

If you would I'd like you to expand on that some TB. I've been trying to figure out an easy way to know my feed cost and the value from the trucking to the pounds gain at the end feeding stockers. And dry matter and TDN seem to work hand in hand.
A ton of ground corn and cotton seed mix is roughly 90% dry matter = 1800lbs. And at 90%TDN, that equates to 1620 lbs of actual feed?
A ton of Brewers grain is 25% dry matter = 500 lbs. And at 70% TDN = 350 lbs of actual feed?
Assuming that protein, fats and starches are comparable, you'd need to feed 5 tons Brewers grain to equal 1 ton of corn and cotton seed? What am I missing?

You didn't miss anything. The nutrition is simply not there in the high moisture feed to compare with the other feed. You're feeding a huge amount of water. The very reason folks feeding silage have to feed 50 lbs. of silage to get the nutrition in 16-18 lbs. of hay. But it is usually priced accordingly to reflect the high moisture content. Example....Wet distillers grain $40 a ton Dry distillers grain $150 a ton (examples only).
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

Lucky
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Lucky » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:13 pm

I'm at .69 @ 6# a day per head buying 14% commodity mix in bulk. With the cost of feed going up I think a set of scales is in my plans this summer. It would be nice to see if pushing them harder pays off.

rjbovine
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby rjbovine » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:03 pm

I'm at .64 per day for 4 Lb. per head of 14 pct. bulk feed delivered . Thanks for asking. I needed to know myself . rj

poorfarmer
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby poorfarmer » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:35 am

I am at 9.7 cents a pound 14% protein. I am not going to complain about the price but I just sold some heifers and average daily gain was only 1.4 lbs per day which put my cost with hay and water at $1 to add a pound. Not crazy about that number though.

Allenw
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Allenw » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:01 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:
shaz wrote:
True,

I feed bread by dump truck loads to pigs... I feed it because I like it for the flavors the meats have with the mixes I make with it not for the feed analysis.

I'd like to feed just grass and hay, but I can't grow 14% hay for the wet cows. For me I think hay would be the cheapest and easiest feed option. I believe we make raising cattle harder than it needs to be. Messing with feed and hay seems like I'm spinning my wheels half of the time.

It's not hard to change your calving date to fit your local grass growth.

Lucky
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Lucky » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:10 pm

How many here on feeding the yearlings feed and hay? I can't figure a way to cover the hay cost on gain so mine get 6#'s a day and what little standing grass is left. I do set a bale out when it's bad weather though. I weaned November the 16th and plan on keeping until May or June.

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:23 pm

Lucky wrote:How many here on feeding the yearlings feed and hay? I can't figure a way to cover the hay cost on gain so mine get 6#'s a day and what little standing grass is left. I do set a bale out when it's bad weather though. I weaned November the 16th and plan on keeping until May or June.

i feed mine out til about 700 - 800 right now. feedin ga mix of ddg / corn. cost is 170 / ton but I can knock that down to 130 if i get semi loads.

BigBear
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby BigBear » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:06 pm

rufun2sun wrote:Noticed my grain doesn't last as long, I'm guessing cuz everyone is getting bigger. Just figured I'm at $1.26 per day per head. I buy all my feed. I'm small time operation, just wondered how that compares to others?

I’m small taters too. I pay .13/lb delivered for 16% CP mixed feed. Used to feed 14% and bumped up with this current batch and it seems to be working out well.
Well he's tall in the saddle, short on the cash
The last to quit, the first to buy the beer

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:47 am

BigBear wrote:
rufun2sun wrote:Noticed my grain doesn't last as long, I'm guessing cuz everyone is getting bigger. Just figured I'm at $1.26 per day per head. I buy all my feed. I'm small time operation, just wondered how that compares to others?

I’m small taters too. I pay .13/lb delivered for 16% CP mixed feed. Used to feed 14% and bumped up with this current batch and it seems to be working out well.

who are you getting your feed from?

shaz
GURU
GURU

Postby shaz » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:49 pm

ddd75 wrote:
Lucky wrote:How many here on feeding the yearlings feed and hay? I can't figure a way to cover the hay cost on gain so mine get 6#'s a day and what little standing grass is left. I do set a bale out when it's bad weather though. I weaned November the 16th and plan on keeping until May or June.

i feed mine out til about 700 - 800 right now. feedin ga mix of ddg / corn. cost is 170 / ton but I can knock that down to 130 if i get semi loads.

What's the price breakdown? How much for corn, how much for the DDG?
"The Pope? How many divisions does he have?" Joseph Stalin

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:58 pm

shaz wrote:
ddd75 wrote:

What's the price breakdown? How much for corn, how much for the DDG?

that is 3/4 corn ... 1/4 ddg ration. bulk buying = 80 / ton DDG. Corn - 120 / ton. not counting delivery.

the 170/ton is from the feed mill. corn is just a tad higher, but they charge a lot for DDG.. I figured it at 240/ton. they are about 10 minutes if that from the ethanol plant and I know they are getting it for around 70-80/ton.

BigBear
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby BigBear » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:01 pm

ddd75 wrote:
BigBear wrote:

who are you getting your feed from?

Falers in Lithopolis
Well he's tall in the saddle, short on the cash
The last to quit, the first to buy the beer