Fattening a calf for freezer

Backgrounding & feeding questions.
sske
Cowhand
Cowhand

Fattening a calf for freezer

Postby sske » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:37 pm

To make a long story short, the bosses wife wants me to fatten one of their calves, it's been quite a few years since I've fed one up to slaughter. The best option right now is a 400-450lb angus bull calf that's getting weaned in the next week. What kind of a ration would you recommend for getting him started then up to slaughter weight 1200 +/- lbs. Mine in the past have always been pastured and then put on a wet cob/corn mix for the last 90-100 days. He will be in a dry lot. And when would you suggest cutting him?
Thank you for any input
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Fattening a calf for freezer

Postby skyhightree1 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:45 pm

sske wrote:To make a long story short, the bosses wife wants me to fatten one of their calves, it's been quite a few years since I've fed one up to slaughter. The best option right now is a 400-450lb angus bull calf that's getting weaned in the next week. What kind of a ration would you recommend for getting him started then up to slaughter weight 1200 +/- lbs. Mine in the past have always been pastured and then put on a wet cob/corn mix for the last 90-100 days. He will be in a dry lot. And when would you suggest cutting him?
Thank you for any input

You will have a variety of answers... This same subject if you did a search will net you probably 100 pages of debates.
1 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

Ky hills
GURU
GURU

Re: Fattening a calf for freezer

Postby Ky hills » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:45 pm

I am not much help as I don't have much experience fattening a beef, just did it once and going to again this summer. I just fed my last one the same ration that I feed my other cattle. It is a mix of soy hulls, corn gluten, cracked corn and dried distillers grain. The calf was a bull and it turned out really well. Since your calf is around 500 lbs he could be made a steer, but if it were me I would probably just leave him a bull at that point.
0 x

Return to “Feedyard Board”