Feeding out Longhorns

Backgrounding & feeding questions.
Ky hills
GURU
GURU

Feeding out Longhorns

Postby Ky hills » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:28 pm

I know that there are lots of different opinions about Longhorns, but have been wondering the age and length of feeding and how the end product has been from those that have done it
0 x

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

Re: Feeding out Longhorns

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:26 pm

We get them up to 20 pounds of ground corn for the last 100 days or so, and butcher at 18-20 months. Usually weigh in the 1,100-1,200 range. Steaks are marbled better than any angus calf we've ever butchered, with the only exception being the blind angus calf that never walked more than a 10' circle. I'll get pictures of a ribeye next time I get one out of the freezer. We are very happy with the quality of beef.
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:40 pm

I thought longhorn meat was being promoted for the health benefits of it's extreme leanness and lack of marbling.
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:11 pm

TexasBred wrote:I thought longhorn meat was being promoted for the health benefits of it's extreme leanness and lack of marbling.

Depends on the day.
1 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:07 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:
TexasBred wrote:I thought longhorn meat was being promoted for the health benefits of it's extreme leanness and lack of marbling.

Depends on the day.

Not at my place.
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU

Postby Workinonit Farm » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:38 pm

RunningArrowBill, a member (former???) here had all kinds of info & data regarding feeding out Longhorns, as that was all that he raised and fed & sold as freezer beef.
0 x
Live each day as if it were your last.

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:56 pm

Workinonit Farm wrote:RunningArrowBill, a member (former???) here had all kinds of info & data regarding feeding out Longhorns, as that was all that he raised and fed & sold as freezer beef.

Didn't he sell the hides, horns and some animals for pasture ornaments? He also got cancer?
0 x

pricefarm
GURU
GURU

Postby pricefarm » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:57 pm

How long does it take to get one to 1000lbs ?
0 x

Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU

Postby Workinonit Farm » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:28 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:
Workinonit Farm wrote:RunningArrowBill, a member (former???) here had all kinds of info & data regarding feeding out Longhorns, as that was all that he raised and fed & sold as freezer beef.

Didn't he sell the hides, horns and some animals for pasture ornaments? He also got cancer?

I believe he also sold hides and pasture pets. as for cancer, I did/do not know. There have been a few times, in the last few years, where I was off-line for a couple of months at a time, and I may have missed that. That would explain why he hasn't been on the boards for a while. (insert face with squiggly mouth)
0 x
Live each day as if it were your last.

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:35 pm

Workinonit Farm wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:

I believe he also sold hides and pasture pets. as for cancer, I did/do not know. There have been a few times, in the last few years, where I was off-line for a couple of months at a time, and I may have missed that. That would explain why he hasn't been on the boards for a while. (insert face with squiggly mouth)

I hope I'm mistaken which is a very real possibility. Bill is the reason I bought a Kubota RTV diesel.
0 x

Ky hills
GURU
GURU

Postby Ky hills » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:09 pm

Thanks y'all I have been thinking about selling some beef in the future possibly through farmers markets. Oh ad been reading some of the longhorn farms info about their beef, and thought that might be a different product angle to market.
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:17 am

Workinonit Farm wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:

Seems I remember he did begin to have some health problems but can't remember if it was cancer or not. He too promoted the health benefits of the lean longhorn meat. Seems he sold quite a bit of it.
1 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:56 am

True Grit Farms wrote:

I have to assume you aren't suggesting Bill (or anyone else) got/gets cancer from eating LH (or any other kind of) beef. There's usually more to it than that.
I wasn't aware Running Arrow Bill had health problems, but he wasn't a really frequent poster since I've been aboard CT, so I may have missed it.
But, I remember and found this, from one of RAB's posts:
Someone asked if he had any weight gain problems when he quit smoking....
"I didn't quit and have no intentions of quitting. Been doing it successfully for 60 years!"

So, If (I fervently hope not) Bill got cancer, his smoking was more likely to be the cause. I too took up that vice many years ago, and am waiting for the other shoe to drop on that account.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

Return to “Feedyard Board”