What weight and when to sell steers ??

Backgrounding & feeding questions.
Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Re: What weight and when to sell steers ??

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:04 am

Looking at these answers - you have to remember it depends on the herd.
I wean based on age. I wean on one day (day after Labor Day), all calves will be 6-8 months of age. I don't weigh them the day they are weaned. They had been weighed & worked twice before weaning, then I work them about 2 weeks after weaning. Last year the steers sold to a feedlot averaged 658# on 9/21. 3 Show steers & 4 bulls were not in this average weight.
Also, I direct market my steers to a feedlot, price is set based on a great feeder calf sale here in NY. So, I don't care how much they weigh as far as over 500# or over 700#.
So, your question is tough to give you best advice.
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

Lrj505
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Lrj505 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:06 am

Is it better to sell to a feedlot or at the sale barn?
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:35 pm

Feedlot any day in my book. Feedlot, you determine price (or negotiate price). Sale barn, buyers choice.
I base my sale price on the highest price the group of buyers is willing to pay. But, I have a long standing reputation, they buy "sight unseen".
People think they can get into the cattle business and make a killing - or make top dollar. That is usually EARNED - through reputation and "hard-knocks".
4 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:32 pm

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:Feedlot any day in my book. Feedlot, you determine price (or negotiate price). Sale barn, buyers choice.
I base my sale price on the highest price the group of buyers is willing to pay. But, I have a long standing reputation, they buy "sight unseen".
People think they can get into the cattle business and make a killing - or make top dollar. That is usually EARNED - through reputation and "hard-knocks".

Sure Hope Everybody Reads That Last Comment.
6 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

hornedfrogbbq
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby hornedfrogbbq » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:14 pm

farmerjan wrote:We are buying some bred cows for $7-800 . Most are fall calvers. Also bought 3 cow calf pairs at a sale. Avged $800. The cows at this sale had a big group from a farm that had been sold. They obviously didn't have much grass, and must have run out of hay in March because I haven't seen cows that poor and thin in awhile. One char. cow we got, with a pretty decent heifer calf about 200 lbs, weighed 1150 and she needed 300 lbs to cover her ribs. NO JOKE. Paid right at $850 for her. There were cows there that were so thin, and their calves were so under nourished, that they had the scruffy hair coats. So many of them will never grow right because they have been starved/stunted.

The 3 we got are mature cows, we haven't mouthed them yet, but would say in the 8-10 yr old range. Their calves looked pretty decent, so you know everything the cow was eating was going to milk for the calf. It was sad to see these cows so underfed. This is a monthly sale, so there are also trader cows there; but they announced the ones that came from the farm that was sold out, and there were a group from another farm that were so fat they had rolls of fat on their butts. Only about 20 of them, but I wouldn't touch them. Too much money and potential for too many problems.

One of the bred cows is probably pretty old, but she was in decent flesh and only cost $465. If she is short mouthed or no teeth, if she raises her calf she will make a little. We have plenty of grass so figured that we could get a group and turn them out on pasture until Sept or so and then move them closer to calve them. Since we sold 8 cull cows, open, old whatever; we figured we did okay on these. Didn't spend 2500 more and got 3 cows w/calves and 7 confirmed preg. And a coupld will gain 2-300 lbs so will do okay when the time comes to sell as culls if they don't measure up.

I love this story!!! Graham and Dodd investing in cattle!
0 x

snoopdog
Rancher
Rancher

Postby snoopdog » Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:47 pm

jltrent wrote:If selling off the cow I like to keep them under 600 # as the steer buyers don't what them bigger and leaving them on the cow that big is not good on the cow or next calf coming. Some cows all you can get is 500-550 # calf as not great milkers.
That is my experience , generally . With some market /season variables .
0 x
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

Lrj505
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Lrj505 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:08 pm

That’s exactly where I keep coming up with when I take a pencil and paper to the cost expense etc. under #600 in March is around $1000 steer.
0 x

Silver
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Silver » Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:38 am

I find that calves at 210 days of age that weigh 750 straight off the cow tend to bring a lot more dollars than those at 550.
2 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:00 am

Lrj505 wrote:That’s exactly where I keep coming up with when I take a pencil and paper to the cost expense etc. under #600 in March is around $1000 steer.

How old are they in March?
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:21 am

Silver wrote:I find that calves at 210 days of age that weigh 750 straight off the cow tend to bring a lot more dollars than those at 550.

Is 750 lb average or exceptional at 210 days? We can only hit that kind of weight by creep feeding, asap.
1 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:49 am

I sell steers before the cost of gain is more than the value of gain.
So the size depends on the time of year and the cost of feed.
You can usually double your profit in this area by back grounding spring born calves on local feeds.
0 x
Stocker Steve

snoopdog
Rancher
Rancher

Postby snoopdog » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:30 am

True Grit Farms wrote:
Silver wrote:I find that calves at 210 days of age that weigh 750 straight off the cow tend to bring a lot more dollars than those at 550.

Is 750 lb average or exceptional at 210 days? We can only hit that kind of weight by creep feeding, asap.
I don't see that without creeping spring calves / or winter wheat pasture for fall calves . Not saying it ain't so, but when you add those inputs , margin drops .
0 x

Silver
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Silver » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:37 pm

snoopdog wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:

I don't see that without creeping spring calves / or winter wheat pasture for fall calves . Not saying it ain't so, but when you add those inputs , margin drops .

Why not? Is it the weather down there, forage quality, or genetics? Just wondering why.
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:56 pm

Silver wrote:
snoopdog wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:Is 750 lb average or exceptional at 210 days? We can only hit that kind of weight by creep feeding, asap.

Why not? Is it the weather down there, forage quality, or genetics? Just wondering why.

Forage quality is my first guess, and right now its a 101 in the shade, that might have something to do with it also. I can't see genetics being a part of it, I use good bulls and have some cows with good pedigrees.
1 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

snoopdog
Rancher
Rancher

Postby snoopdog » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:24 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:
Silver wrote:
snoopdog wrote: I don't see that without creeping spring calves / or winter wheat pasture for fall calves . Not saying it ain't so, but when you add those inputs , margin drops .

Forage quality is my first guess, and right now its a 101 in the shade, that might have something to do with it also. I can't see genetics being a part of it, I use good bulls and have some cows with good pedigrees.

I would agree that forage quality is probably the biggest factor , as said , it deteriorates fast when the temps get close to the century mark .
0 x

Return to “Feedyard Board”