Anyone Creep Feeding Calves?

Backgrounding & feeding questions.
Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Re: Anyone Creep Feeding Calves?

Postby Brute 23 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:32 am

5S Cattle wrote:I was creeping some calves on first calf heifers but the hogs are getting more than the calves. Can’t afford to feed 20-30 of those bastards every night

I have caught my fair share of hogs with dogs right inside the creep feeder. :nod: They are usually some slobs. They won't even look at a bay dog because they face is buried in the feed so far.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education" - Mark Twain

hornedfrogbbq
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby hornedfrogbbq » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:40 am

Brute 23 wrote:
5S Cattle wrote:I was creeping some calves on first calf heifers but the hogs are getting more than the calves. Can’t afford to feed 20-30 of those bastards every night

I have caught my fair share of hogs with dogs right inside the creep feeder. :nod: They are usually some slobs. They won't even look at a bay dog because they face is buried in the feed so far.

I have found a 140 grain piece of metal flying at about 3050 feet per second is very helpful in those situations.
1 x

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby JMJ Farms » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:55 am

Brute 23 wrote:

Brute back before I quit hog hunting with dogs I had a friend that had a pasture almost on the river banks. They used a homemade wooden creep feeder without creep gates. It had a stout pen built around with just one opening for the calves to come in and out. When you turned out the dogs you might get one or two if lucky. So we made us a trap door and attached about 100 yards of rope to it then ran it through some trees. We had night vision goggles so one real dark night we slipped in downwind and waited till there were about 40 hogs in the pen. Cut the rope loose and trapped them. Most were small but there were 8 or 9 that we wanted including one big sow and about a 350 pound boar. The old sow would run up to the fence trying to get to us so we held the catch dog over the edge and when she ran up there we dropped the dog. After the dog caught her we used the other catch dog to catch the biggest boar. Then we started tying them. You ain’t never lived until you’ve been in a pen full of wild hogs in the dark. Hard to focus on tying legs when 8-10 more are running around, into, and over you! We wound up putting 8 or 9 in the trailer that night. I used to love it but looking back I have no idea how some of us didn’t get heard or killed between the hogs, four wheelers, rivers, snakes and everything else. We done some crazy stuff and jumped on some big hogs. Just lucky I guess.
1 x
“Watch your top knot” - Will Geer as Bear Claw in Jeremiah Johnson

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:01 pm

JMJ Farms wrote:
Brute 23 wrote:

Brute back before I quit hog hunting with dogs I had a friend that had a pasture almost on the river banks. They used a homemade wooden creep feeder without creep gates. It had a stout pen built around with just one opening for the calves to come in and out. When you turned out the dogs you might get one or two if lucky. So we made us a trap door and attached about 100 yards of rope to it then ran it through some trees. We had night vision goggles so one real dark night we slipped in downwind and waited till there were about 40 hogs in the pen. Cut the rope loose and trapped them. Most were small but there were 8 or 9 that we wanted including one big sow and about a 350 pound boar. The old sow would run up to the fence trying to get to us so we held the catch dog over the edge and when she ran up there we dropped the dog. After the dog caught her we used the other catch dog to catch the biggest boar. Then we started tying them. You ain’t never lived until you’ve been in a pen full of wild hogs in the dark. Hard to focus on tying legs when 8-10 more are running around, into, and over you! We wound up putting 8 or 9 in the trailer that night. I used to love it but looking back I have no idea how some of us didn’t get heard or killed between the hogs, four wheelers, rivers, snakes and everything else. We done some crazy stuff and jumped on some big hogs. Just lucky I guess.

:lol: I know exactly what you mean. We hunt some bull pastures and feed lots like that. Your right... there is nothing like it. Hunting in the middle of Nilgai will make your hair stand up also. :shock:
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education" - Mark Twain

Lrj505
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Lrj505 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:04 pm

Alfalfa. My steers at growing super quick. Not fresh hay let it cure a couple weeks. The good stuff not rained on they need high protein to grow. I usually buy a big load for a discount , stack it at my house, raise the price sell it here and there on Craigslist. Turns out to be free feed. Just play with the numbers.
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:56 pm

Lrj505 wrote:Alfalfa. My steers at growing super quick. Not fresh hay let it cure a couple weeks. The good stuff not rained on they need high protein to grow. I usually buy a big load for a discount , stack it at my house, raise the price sell it here and there on Craigslist. Turns out to be free feed. Just play with the numbers.

Do you have it tested at a reputable laboratory so you'll know what you're feeding and what you're selling folks??
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

Lrj505
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Lrj505 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:35 pm

I grow it myself

0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:17 am

Lrj505 wrote:I grow it myself

I'll ask again. Do you have it tested at a local lab so you know what you're feeding or what you're selling folks?? It just about all looks good in a bale.
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

Return to “Feedyard Board”