Oats Creep Mix ?

Backgrounding & feeding questions.
Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Oats Creep Mix ?

Postby Stocker Steve » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:50 pm

Oats is not worth much here - - only $2.00 per bushel or $125 per ton.
Plan to feed a bunch to replacement heifers, where I am not going for a high rate of gain.
What should I consider as other items in the feed mix to hit about 1.75 lbs/day?
0 x
Stocker Steve

Till-Hill
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Oats Creep Mix ?

Postby Till-Hill » Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:00 pm

Corn gluten pellet? Or any protein pellet, I had terrible luck mixing DDG in it, settled out real bad.
0 x

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:24 pm

Till-Hill wrote:Corn gluten pellet? Or any protein pellet, I had terrible luck mixing DDG in it, settled out real bad.

Thanks for the tip. I was considering DDG too. I know most creep feeds are a little higher in protien than oats.

Did you bother to roll the oats?
0 x
Stocker Steve

Till-Hill
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Till-Hill » Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:09 pm

Not at $2/bushel my feed man always wants me to fill feeder full of oats then when about empty start with a oat pellet and maybe little bit of corn
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:35 pm

Stocker Steve wrote:Oats is not worth much here - - only $2.00 per bushel or $125 per ton.
Plan to feed a bunch to replacement heifers, where I am not going for a high rate of gain.
What should I consider as other items in the feed mix to hit about 1.75 lbs/day?

Steve at that price I think the only thing I'd worry about is letting the feeder get empty. Good protein, adequate energy, high fiber..good feed for heifers.
1 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

Chocolate Cow2
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Chocolate Cow2 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:57 pm

Be careful. I did this same thing one year and my heifers put down too much fat in their udders. I had 12 bottle calves because none of the heifers milked enough to feed their calves. I think finding an acceptable limiter is an issue when feeding heifers this way. Salt settles out too. What I thought was an inexpensive way to develop heifers turned out to be really costly. That seems to be normal though.
0 x

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:48 pm

Chocolate Cow2 wrote:Be careful. I did this same thing one year and my heifers put down too much fat in their udders. I had 12 bottle calves because none of the heifers milked enough to feed their calves. I think finding an acceptable limiter is an issue when feeding heifers this way. Salt settles out too. What I thought was an inexpensive way to develop heifers turned out to be really costly. That seems to be normal though.

You were feeding oats or ?
0 x
Stocker Steve

Chocolate Cow2
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Chocolate Cow2 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:02 pm

Yes. Oats primarily. The feed mill mixed it for me. There was some ground milo (sorgum) in it but mostly oats. You can feed heifers a commercial creep mix and be ok because it's a fiber based feed.

You might want to consult an animal nutritionist. He can tell you what's the best.
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:05 am

Chocolate Cow2 wrote:Yes. Oats primarily. The feed mill mixed it for me. There was some ground milo (sorgum) in it but mostly oats. You can feed heifers a commercial creep mix and be ok because it's a fiber based feed.

You might want to consult an animal nutritionist. He can tell you what's the best.

He did, TB happens to be a cattle nutritional extraordinaire.
2 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:32 am

Chocolate Cow2 wrote:Yes. Oats primarily. The feed mill mixed it for me. There was some ground milo (sorgum) in it but mostly oats. You can feed heifers a commercial creep mix and be ok because it's a fiber based feed.

I did not think oats had that much energy. How long were they on the oats/milo mix?
1 x
Stocker Steve

Chocolate Cow2
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Chocolate Cow2 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:32 am

It's been 15 years or more since I did this, but I think they were on the mix for several months. It wasn't long term. Oats was the primary grain, followed by rolled milo and a little cracked corn. We put it free choice in a creep feeder. At the time, I didn't think the calves were overly fleshy but it sure messed up the heifers I kept. I don't know who's who on this message board, I can only tell you what I have experienced. I did this mixture because of the cost of grains vs. commercial creep feed. Just like what you are doing.
0 x

elkwc
GURU
GURU

Postby elkwc » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:24 pm

Chocolate Cow2 wrote:It's been 15 years or more since I did this, but I think they were on the mix for several months. It wasn't long term. Oats was the primary grain, followed by rolled milo and a little cracked corn. We put it free choice in a creep feeder. At the time, I didn't think the calves were overly fleshy but it sure messed up the heifers I kept. I don't know who's who on this message board, I can only tell you what I have experienced. I did this mixture because of the cost of grains vs. commercial creep feed. Just like what you are doing.

I would imagine it was the corn and milo that was in the mix. I fed oats free choice to both horses and cattle and never had any issues. But have seen issues when feeding milo and corn. Personally I would never use either in a mix for heifers I was planning to keep for replacements. Our heifers almost get too fat on grass around here. I've had horses founder on the grama grass in a good year.
1 x

Return to “Feedyard Board”