Range cubes

Backgrounding & feeding questions.
RebelCritter
Rancher
Rancher

Postby RebelCritter » Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:10 am

I feed them as treats! Cows, dogs, horses, goats, alpaca, chickens, they all love it. Great training aid and taming aid. :)
0 x

triple'S'
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby triple'S' » Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:28 am

alright, I'm trying to figure out how ya'll afford feeding cubes regularly. just say around $200/ton?

say you have 50 cows at 2lbs/head/day thats 100lbs/day

$10/day to feed all your cows and hard winter here last from Dec 1 to about March 15. thats around 105 days

so feeding cubes would cost around $1050 for the winter
that doesn't sound too bad to me even if I'm not in Texas

Would that buy me a little time on hay, I seem to be coming up short. Would they slack off a small % eating free choice hay?
0 x

Crowderfarms
Wagon Master
Wagon Master

Postby Crowderfarms » Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:33 am

triple'S' wrote:alright, I'm trying to figure out how ya'll afford feeding cubes regularly. just say around $200/ton?

say you have 50 cows at 2lbs/head/day thats 100lbs/day

$10/day to feed all your cows and hard winter here last from Dec 1 to about March 15. thats around 105 days

so feeding cubes would cost around $1050 for the winter
that doesn't sound too bad to me even if I'm not in Texas

Would that buy me a little time on hay, I seem to be coming up short. Would they slack off a small % eating free choice hay?
I've been feeding some cubes,(one of the only ones that do around here) But I've seen absolutely no decline in Hay consumption. They are eating it like no tomorrow.They look great, but most around this area say they have never seen cattle go through Hay as fast as this year. Guess it's because anyone that has Pasture at all, has a quality of around zero, because of no or very little rain.
0 x
Hoss, Please stay!

denoginnizer
GURU
GURU

Postby denoginnizer » Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:03 am

Be careful feeding cubes. Sometimes the cows or a bull will get so excited they will run over you trying to get to the cubes.
0 x

coolwater
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: Range cubes

Postby coolwater » Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:13 pm

bizybeehill wrote:I have seen range cubes at the feed store and have talked top some of the old timers in my area and they said that they would only feed them to cows. Any benifites to feeding range cube to steers as a suplement?? Those that do feed range cubes, Why and how do you used it ??

im not for or against feeding range cubes.im feeding ours grain,little rice,rice bran and sweet feed blended.my kids give em range cubes to get them up close to be handled.basicly we give em for treats and to tame them.they know the sound of the cubes bouncing in a bucket and if we want to move them from one pasture to another a few cubes in a bucket is all we need.
0 x
there are many ways to remove a wasp nest but only a few ways without getting stung.in life there are many wasp nests.

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:58 am

In this hay shortage it is an advantage to feeding cubes 50 lb sack 20% protien 4.50 square bales poor quality 6.50 Round bales not to be found in this area everyone is holding it if they got them.
0 x
Grandpa always said never trust a banker,lawyer,preacher or guvmit man. They will steal from widows and orphans.

Mahoney Pursley Ranch
GURU
GURU

Postby Mahoney Pursley Ranch » Sun Jan 29, 2006 7:18 pm

I try to help my cattle all I can, They get cubes every Saturday.Have a constant supply of hay in the ring,get molasses tubs & loose mineral. I found some 37% protein blocks at Tractor Supply the cows seem to like and those are also put out. I sure wouldn't want to try to survive on hay and dried up pasture grass.
0 x
If it will it will
If it won't it won't ---------- Bocephus

slb714
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby slb714 » Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:29 pm

I paid 111$ for a 1/2 ton of 20% cubes does this sound about right?? thanks
0 x

Arnold Ziffle
GURU
GURU

Postby Arnold Ziffle » Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:01 pm

slb714, that is exactly the rate I paid yesterday at TSC for essentially the same % protein cubes --- half a ton would be twenty 50 pound bags and they went for $5.55 per bag --- 20 x $5.55 = $111

As I recall, TSC gives you a 50 cent per bag discount if you buy 20 or more (if you can adequately store them).

Of course, depending on the distance you are from a supplier and the quantity you purchase, unbagged bulk purchases would probably be even cheaper (storage capability is obviously an issue here as well).
0 x

SSS Angus
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby SSS Angus » Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:45 pm

Arnold Ziffle wrote:slb714, that is exactly the rate I paid yesterday at TSC for essentially the same % protein cubes --- half a ton would be twenty 50 pound bags and they went for $5.55 per bag --- 20 x $5.55 = $111

As I recall, TSC gives you a 50 cent per bag discount if you buy 20 or more (if you can adequately store them).

Of course, depending on the distance you are from a supplier and the quantity you purchase, unbagged bulk purchases would probably be even cheaper (storage capability is obviously an issue here as well).
I have always got the 20% cubes for $5.05 per bag before discount. Usually purchase 2 pallets at a time.

BTW: This is at the Decatur TSC.
0 x

cowboy43
GURU
GURU

Postby cowboy43 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:50 pm

How do you feed the cows ,do you spread out on the ground or feed them in a trough?
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:56 pm

cowboy43 wrote:How do you feed the cows ,do you spread out on the ground or feed them in a trough?

Small piles on the ground about 15 foot apart. Cows will circle the piles a few to each. If you pour out in a line always one wants to walk down the line. Stomping em in the ground.
0 x
IF IT AIN'T TIGHT IT AIN'T RIGHT...

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:26 pm

Three piles and the rest into a trough.
0 x
"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:03 pm

callmefence wrote:
cowboy43 wrote:How do you feed the cows ,do you spread out on the ground or feed them in a trough?

Small piles on the ground about 15 foot apart. Cows will circle the piles a few to each. If you pour out in a line always one wants to walk down the line. Stomping em in the ground.

And a couple more want to bow up and pee or crap right down the middle of the line.
1 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

Txpiney
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Txpiney » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:15 am

I use a pick up with a Trip Hopper mounted on a flat bed. I just make a large circle making piles about 10' apart. I then park the truck. Then get out and walk around to closely check and count the cows, calves, and bull. When I'm going to work them, I start feeding them in the working pens about 2 weeks ahead of time
0 x

Return to “Feedyard Board”