Range cubes

Backgrounding & feeding questions.
bizybeehill
Cowhand
Cowhand

Range cubes

Postby bizybeehill » Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:19 pm

I have seen range cubes at the feed store and have talked top some of the old timers in my area and they said that they would only feed them to cows. Any benifites to feeding range cube to steers as a suplement?? Those that do feed range cubes, Why and how do you used it ??

0 x
Barry

Running Arrow Bill
GURU
GURU

Postby Running Arrow Bill » Tue Nov 29, 2005 5:17 pm

We use 20% range cubes for any and all of our cattle. Primarily use them for "training", gathering, etc. Also use them to supplement "dead" winter pasture when it's cold to provide extra protein in addition to having round bales of hay out 24/7.
0 x
RUNNING ARROW FARM, LLC
Registered Texas Longhorns & TWH's
Senior Sires, "TOTEM POLE" & "JBR CASH"
http://www.runningarrowlonghorns.com
longhorncattle2013@gmail.com

Mahoney Pursley Ranch
GURU
GURU

Postby Mahoney Pursley Ranch » Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:08 pm

I cube mine every Saturday. Get a good head count when they come runnin and it don't hurt to give them a little protein boost this time of the year.
0 x
If it will it will
If it won't it won't ---------- Bocephus

sidney411
GURU
GURU

Postby sidney411 » Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:05 pm

Generally cubes will cost more then a non-peleted type feed. Most steers that are on feed are fed from bunks of some type, therefore no need of a solid type feed. That could be what was meant?
0 x

TXBobcat
Rancher
Rancher

Postby TXBobcat » Tue Dec 06, 2005 1:57 pm

During the winter (11-15 thru 03-15), when it's cold, I generally put out cubes every other day - about 2lbs per head.
This gives me a chance to count/evaluate everything out in the pasture. Everything that's in the pasture gets a chance at them, including steers. If I have something penned up, I usually feed a mixed feed out of a trough.

During the summer, I just use them occasionally as a treat or to call them up to the pens. Cattle that are cake broke (used to being fed range cubes) are much easier to handle and move.
0 x
Granger Cattle Co.
China Spring, TX
http://www.grangercattleco.com

sainty01
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby sainty01 » Mon Dec 12, 2005 5:53 pm

Range cubes should be used by EVERYONE that raises cattle. -just my opinion.

We feed range cubes because it is the easiest way to tame your cattle down and to move them.

As far as a feed supplement cubes can be high in protein and fat.

We have found sunflower cubes in our area that are very reasonable. With frieght about $185 a ton.
0 x

jkwilson
GURU
GURU

Re: Range cubes

Postby jkwilson » Mon Dec 12, 2005 8:50 pm

Some studies have shown that range cubes' benefits are way more than it would seem. Supplementing protein jump starts the cows' digestion and they get much more from the hay they eat, as well as eating more. Especially on lower quality hay or stockpiled grass.
1 x

sidney411
GURU
GURU

Postby sidney411 » Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:02 am

The only problem I've ever had with cubes is when a 2 mth old calf tried to swallow one whole and it went into his windpipe and we couldn't get it out, he ended up dead. That could also be what they were referring to, if it was just weaned steers maybe?
0 x

flaboy+
Rancher
Rancher

Postby flaboy+ » Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:21 am

My dogs love them and my bulls won't eat then at all. The cows eat them like candy though.
0 x
I'm so ugly it takes four bags to cover my face.
flaboy

EIEIO
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby EIEIO » Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:25 pm

I feed out the 20% protein cubes to my cows usually once a week year round but during the winter will feed out sometimes twice a week at the rate of 1-2 lbs. of cubes per cow. Keeps them all "tame" and makes moving/working them easy. They love the things and will follow me anywhere if they think I have some. By pouring them out on the ground in a long line it sure makes it easy doing herd checks.

I've got 24 heifers that were on a grain feed along with quality grass and hay when I bought them about a month ago and have been mixing the feed they were on for just over a week now 50/50 with a 14% range cube daily giving them each approx. 2 pounds of feed a day. Here in another two weeks I'll go to nothing but cubes and feed the same 14% cubes every other day till they are ready to be bred in April/May. I also keep out hay and they right now are on a pasture I did not have cattle on this year so there is plenty of grass as well for them to eat.

I'm doing it to keep them growing at a good rate and make sure they will be ready to be bred here in a few month with optimal health. None of the heifers had scours but their stools were a bit loose untill I began feeding the cubes and noticed within a day their poop looked "normal". I've talked with more than one person who felt the cubes were the best "complete" feed to give to cattle. I like it cause it can be put in a bunk or just dumped on the ground making for easy feeding.

J
0 x
A farm or ranch is a lifelong work in progress. It's never done as there is always something to do.

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:34 pm

Cubes are way to pricey for my blood. We, actaully the grand kids feed them through the fence to the cows as a treat for both the cows and the kids.
If they can;t grow out well enough on pasture if it's stockpiled with maybe a little supplement for cold weather they will be a mooch for supplement their whole live.

dun
1 x

flaboy+
Rancher
Rancher

Postby flaboy+ » Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:29 pm

dun wrote:Cubes are way to pricey for my blood. We, actaully the grand kids feed them through the fence to the cows as a treat for both the cows and the kids.
If they can;t grow out well enough on pasture if it's stockpiled with maybe a little supplement for cold weather they will be a mooch for supplement their whole live.

dun

So Dun, you feed your grand kids to them through the fence? Range cubes wont get you in trouble as much as feeding them kids.

Like you I give them through the fence to my replacements just to keep them friendly. Seems to work for years after also. I get a bucket all here they come. All except the crazy one's that all have the same name of butthead! I have quite a few named butthead! :lol:
0 x
I'm so ugly it takes four bags to cover my face.

flaboy

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:43 pm

flaboy+ wrote: I have quite a few named butthead! :lol:

We must share the same herd then. We have lots of buttheads too.

dun
0 x

jkwilson
GURU
GURU

Postby jkwilson » Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:52 pm

dun wrote:
flaboy+ wrote: I have quite a few named butthead! :lol:

We must share the same herd then. We have lots of buttheads too.

dun

I have a few cows named butthead, used to have a dog named butthead, and a neighbor named butthead (and that's by his wife).
0 x

milesvb
Rancher
Rancher

Postby milesvb » Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:08 pm

I feed cubes once a week during winter at a rate of 5 lbs. per grown head. I can get 20% cubes for $210 per ton if I buy at least a half ton at a time.

I penciled out the cost of whole corn/soybean mix to yield the same protein to supplement heifers in the pens and came up with $225 per ton. It seems cheaper to use cubes or did I calculate something wrong?
0 x
"Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys."

Return to “Feedyard Board”